18" factory bore dia.vs cut 18" - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:36 PM
savagelover22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I'm in deep thought here over cutting a 26" c-elect choked barreled mossberg 500 down to somewhere between 18" and 22"s. My question is given the taper of my 26" barrel will a 18" inch factory cylinder bore barrel and the 26 being cut be the same diameter at the muzxle after the cut? Is the inside of the barrel tapered too after the forcing cone? Or is it the diameter from the cone to the muzzle? If so I guess imuzzle size would be the same. I may just cut the choke off right behind the collar to keep the swingability of the gun. I'm interested in using flitecontrol 00 for some city coyote on the run
Old 07-20-2019, 12:56 AM
JDWinCO

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Cut back to 22" and you will have what you want. I am sure you have reason to cut a barrel but you might want to see about a factory short barrel. I have a Winchester Turkey shotgun w/ 22" barrel that has taken land and flying game including geese. Some clays and a box of dove loads you will find it swings just fine.

Pump guns are very economical these days and a factory has to be a real screw up to make a bad one.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:05 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If I understand the question, cutting off the last 3 or 4 inches will remove all the choke. A weird idea just occur to me, and this is totally off the cuff, you might cut 1/4" at a time, measure the choke and test fire the pattern. Or hacksaw to 22" as suggested. On a pump 22 is not that short for coyote or rabbit in cover. EDIT - Never mind you got the POS adjustable choke. Cut off behind that and see how it feels. There is no taper in the barrel.

You may know, so FWIW: You need a dial caliper to play this (home DIY gunsmith) game. You want a choke gauge, which is a calibrated tapered rod you drop in the bore. You can buy front sight beads that use common tap sizes from Brownell. Drill all the way, tap the hole and red loktite the bead. Get a 3pak or 6pak.

Once you are satisfied with how the gun handles, you could also have screw-in chokes installed. I think it maybe about $75 for a gunsmith to do that and get one tube along with the install. The IC tube and one open tube will allow buck shot and upland shooting. Many uses report better buck shot patterns with some choke.

I suggest No4 buck for coyote.

Last edited by fourbore; 07-20-2019 at 07:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2019, 10:51 PM
savagelover22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
If I understand the question, cutting off the last 3 or 4 inches will remove all the choke. A weird idea just occur to me, and this is totally off the cuff, you might cut 1/4" at a time, measure the choke and test fire the pattern. Or hacksaw to 22" as suggested. On a pump 22 is not that short for coyote or rabbit in cover. EDIT - Never mind you got the POS adjustable choke. Cut off behind that and see how it feels. There is no taper in the barrel.

You may know, so FWIW: You need a dial caliper to play this (home DIY gunsmith) game. You want a choke gauge, which is a calibrated tapered rod you drop in the bore. You can buy front sight beads that use common tap sizes from Brownell. Drill all the way, tap the hole and red loktite the bead. Get a 3pak or 6pak.

Once you are satisfied with how the gun handles, you could also have screw-in chokes installed. I think it maybe about $75 for a gunsmith to do that and get one tube along with the install. The IC tube and one open tube will allow buck shot and upland shooting. Many uses report better buck shot patterns with some choke.

I suggest No4 buck for coyote.
thanks for your response. I'm not sure you ' understood the whole question but did some and I think part of your answer did answer all of my question. If that makes sense. So the inner diameter of the barrel is the same from the end of the forcing cone out to the muzzle ( choke excluded). Maybe this sounds easier lol -So if I bought an 18" cylinder bore barrel or cut mine to say 18" the end result would be the same? (The cut barrel would not be any bigger inner diameter at the muzzle). 22 may be my goal though. May I ask what the dial calipers and choke gauge would be for or would I not need em' if I'm after a cylinder bore? Local Smith quoted $150 to cut and tthread, but I'm not after a choke on this gun. Federal flitecontrol likes the cylinder bores best from what I've seen and thats all this build is for. I agree with you I like 4 buck in my winchester 28" with truglo gobble stopper choke. Super tight even at 50 yards.

Last edited by savagelover22; 07-20-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:56 AM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
OP, I have a few shotguns and have had several others over the years, but my favorite for the type of quick shooting that you describe, as well as a lot of other miscellaneous uses, is this 18.25" semi-auto. It swings really well for me, I like the weight between my hands instead of having more of it out front on a long barrel, and as a result this is a gun that just feels great, and one that makes me take it and go looking for something to shoot. It might look like a novelty to people who think a shotgun needs a long barrel for some reason, but it feels and shoots like the business.

IMO, a LOT of the long barrel effect is psychological. A few inches of pump-gun or semi-automatic barrel weighs mere ounces and won't be missed by a decent shotgunner when it comes to "swingability." The length of the receiver adds to the sight radius to the point that a pump or semi-auto with an 18 - 20" barrel has the same sight radius as a 26" O/U or SxS.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:37 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (148)
Most all shotgun choke tapers are only about 2" long. The straightaway is about an inch pr less, so if you cut anything more than what your straightaway, then you lose soime of the choke. You cut 2" and its all gone.

Now, for what you want it for, you need at least a modified choke, and if it were kine, I would want full or extra full for that purpose. Find a turkey barrel for that gun, and put whatever choke in it you want. It will be cheaper to get a barrel already threaded for chokes than to cut yours off, and pay a smith to thread it. Turkey barrels are short and threaded for chokes.

Last edited by Gizzy; 07-25-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:59 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you have a select choke there is no choke in the barrel. Bore diameter runs back to the forcing cone. I have one of the Celect choke barrels in my safe. Mossberg will sell you new barrels very reasonably. I replaced mine with an 18.5" cylinder bore I had on hand. I recently picked up a shotgun that had the barrel shortened and a screw in Rem Choke installed. It aint cheap to do but it is slick. Mossberg has their own screw in chokes and you can probably get a barrel threaded for them.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:45 PM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
It's not terribly expensive to have chokes installed. I cut my own barrel, trued the end, sent it to Michael Orlen for installation of the chokes. https://randywakeman.com/shotgunMikeOrlen.htm

Here's what I had done by Michael, and the cost.
Lengthen and polish the forcing cone (not necessary, but I had it done anyway) - $55
Purchase of Colonial Sporting Clays Choke - $29 each
Installation of choke (drilling and tapping the barrel) - $55
If you want the barrel cut, it's an extra $15

So, you're looking at $100 for cutting, purchase and installation of a single choke. Additional chokes are $29 each. You can send the barrel regular mail, so it's not terribly expensive.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:19 AM
savagelover22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I6turbo View Post
OP, I have a few shotguns and have had several others over the years, but my favorite for the type of quick shooting that you describe, as well as a lot of other miscellaneous uses, is this 18.25" semi-auto. It swings really well for me, I like the weight between my hands instead of having more of it out front on a long barrel, and as a result this is a gun that just feels great, and one that makes me take it and go looking for something to shoot. It might look like a novelty to people who think a shotgun needs a long barrel for some reason, but it feels and shoots like the business.

IMO, a LOT of the long barrel effect is psychological. A few inches of pump-gun or semi-automatic barrel weighs mere ounces and won't be missed by a decent shotgunner when it comes to "swingability." The length of the receiver adds to the sight radius to the point that a pump or semi-auto with an 18 - 20" barrel has the same sight radius as a 26" O/U or SxS.
a-5 browning? I ended up cutting right at the choke and ended up with 24.5" barrel with speed feed 1 shellholder stock and magpull forend and am just gonna keep it in the trunk of my wife's car. You never know when your gonna need a scatergun these days lol. It does great with federal flitecontrol 00 and 1 buck, and federal p.d 4 buck and truball tactical penatrator slugs. Ended up buying a maverick security with extra 28" field barrel from my lgs for $225 otd for the heck of it and then my step dad gave me his old browning mid 80s browning b80 light and Ithaca mag 10 to hunt with. Killed my 1st deer (9 point) the very 1st time I went deer hunting with that b80 back in 1986.