Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:38 PM
BadaBing11
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How to finish laminate stock?

I have a laminate Raptor stock that has some minor blemishes in it. It won't take a lot of sanding to get them out. But, I'll need to find a compatible finish. Ideally I'd like something that I could use to blend in with the existing finish so I don't need to sand down the entire stock.

I've done this with tru oil or tung oil on other woods with some hit and miss results.

If the only answer is to sand down the entire stock, I'd still be interested in what type of finish to apply, and the best application methods

Please provide advise on what to use and how to best apply the finish, preferably based on experience.

Thank you,

Jeff
Old 08-05-2019, 07:04 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've finished a few but never have tried to patch one. I just sand the whole thing and spray it. I used noremf's lacquer method on one I wanted a dull finish on and it worked great. Easiest finish I've ever done. A couple I wanted glossy and built up the finish with multiple coats of Minwax clear gloss polyurethane. I just finished one that I preferred to be flat and built the finish up with Minwax clear gloss and used a finish coat of Helmsman matte. The clear keeps the finish from becoming muddy looking like it will if you build up coats of semi-gloss or matte. I prefer to spray and rattle cans work well if you pay attention and I like that there is no spray gun clean up.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:35 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As Noremf (George) wisely noted more than once, the only finish that can be easily "touched up" is a lacquer finish. I agree with Arrowhead that you'd be better served sanding the whole stock down and applying a new finish. Rattle can lacquer is available in gloss, semi-gloss and satin finishes (Watco made by Rustoleum and sold at Home Depot and Walmart) and you can read George's tutorial on how to apply it in the sticky section.