Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-04-2019, 04:02 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lead Blob seemingly welded to my Barrel

Lead Blob Removel

I've been in an experiment to see how long I can go without cleaning my Anschutz 1727F-22 CISM.

But my accuracy took a dive just after I started the test 7 week ago with unexplained flyers popping up when using my best ammo.
Continued on with a different batch at my last match.
My USBR scores have dropped down into the mid 230's for the last 2 matches, after 8 months straight of shooting two targets each month scoring average in the the mid 240's.

So I took at look down my barrel a few days ago with my Hawkeye Bore Scope to see how it was going.
What I found was a Lead blob/mountain sitting on a land about an inch past the end of my chamber. SorryI couldn't get my phone to provide a clear picture.

Now Im not taking about a lead spec.
I'm talking about a blob tall enough to cast a shadow.

And that sucker looked like welding splatter.

It was tall enough that it had to be etching the bullet. That means leaving a notch cut out of the base.

So of course I hit it with everything I had.
A Bonze brush, VFG Intensive pellets, and JB bore paste on the VFG pellets.
None of that fazed it one little bit. It just sat there unchanged.

However I finally did get it out using a Pro Shot Lead-Cleaning cloth run down to its exact location, and left to sit there for about a hour (twice).
That along with hitting it with a .243 cal Bronze Brush finally got it out.

That lead cloth patch worked like magic.
I have no idea why I haven't heard about it before considering all of the "How to remove lead from my barrel posts".
If someone did mention it, I may have just missed or dismissed it because it's just a cloth.

So I'll shoot the rifle later this week to see if the accuracy comes back.

Smooth

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Shot-Gun-.../dp/B001F0I8FI

This cloth will remove blueing, so be careful!
I used a loop jag with a pistol rod, and simply pulled it back out of the chamber. I didn't want it to come in contact with the blued muzzle of my rifle.

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 08-04-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:27 PM
ammohog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Hi Smooth: Good to know, and thanks for sharing the information about the Pro-Shot Lead Cloth. I have been impressed with the Kleen-Bore offering, but never thought of letting it set for a while. I did run across this information about lead removing, and thought I would share:

https://www.pistoleer.com/bluewonder...(04-22-02).pdf

I do plan to use it this week on the TRP3 and let it set overnight. Just wondering, did you fine any lead streaks anywhere or buildup next to the crown with the borescope? That cotton pickin' lead will make me use bad words. Let us know how it shoots....... AH
Old 08-04-2019, 10:54 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No on the lead build up at the muzzle.
Normally all I ever see is just a spec of lead here and there down the barrel in the first 6 inches or so.

So I was shocked to see this monstrosity.
Before I even tried to clean it, I thought it might be tough because it really did look like welding splatter.

As far as this product cleaning the whole barrel, remember I let it sit in a very specific spot.
Not saying it wont wipe a barrel clean of lead by just stroking it through, but I have not tried that and have nothing to say about how it will preform at this time.

I will use it the next time I see a normal amount of lead specs in my barrel, and report back.
For $6 it's worth try by anyone whose curious.

Smooth