tph - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-25-2018, 01:53 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)

Milt Sparks also made the Summer Special IWB holster for this model.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:47 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There are a lot of little 22s and 25s out there. I have a FEG SMC in 22 that is all steel and a wonderful little gun. And it costs a lot less than the walther. The iver Johnson is a good copy too, not to mention all the other little under 200 buck Italian, and Eastern European guns. My favorite is the beretta 950b jetfire. I like how the barrel pops up. But for carry? No, not since the Ruger lcp in 380.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:31 PM
Brittman
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, I now have the TPH in .22LR SS finish and have read up on the mechanics of the little pistol. I think I'm going to like it! I was HAPPY it came w/ two SS Walther magazines. It did also in. the manual, but NO target nor bag in the black box.

After re-painting the sights w/ a brighter 'orange' color, cleaning it, retightening the grips and ordering a Craft Holster for it, I think it's ready to take to the range?

Do you Walther TPH owners have a certain distance you zero one in at? I was thinking maybe 15', tops, on our indoor range here? (Of course, I intend to shoot HS LR ammo in it.)

I was a bit surprised @ the decent SA trigger pull on it initially. It's a shame they are no longer manufactured...

Happy holidays to you all!
Brittman
Old 12-27-2018, 01:41 PM
nwmousegunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
TPH

I am sure you figured it out by now but yes the safety is also a decocker. There is an ongoing discussion on the Walther forum about how to use it to decock the pistol without the possibility of damage to the safety drum. Dave
Old 12-27-2018, 09:14 PM
Brittman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
nwmousegunner,

Yes, I now know about the safety / decocker system, thanks! I finally tried it out today at about 15 ft. on our range and had a BALL with it...! It shot to point of aim for me, so I was very happy about that.

Both of my orig. mags worked well, except for my 'OLD' CCI Mini-Mag ammo. I don't know how old it is, but I had to try several rounds a second time to get them to fire. The firing pin indentations look good on the spent cases. (NEW ammo next time...!)

I'll have to check out the Walther Forum on the TPH to see what they all have for discussion now? (I still feel quesy watching that hammer drop!)

I was surprised how far the empty casings flew. They all came out @ 3 o'clock and landed 20 ft. away, at least! Great ejection pattern, too. [I did discover that IF the magazine is not fully seated, the slide will NOT pick up a cartridge...!!]

I like it so much, now I think I'll see if I can find a blued TPH made in Germany?

Thanks for all the great info you guys have out there. It is much appreciated!

The TPH is just a FUN little pistol to shoot!!! Happy New Year to you all.

Brittman

Old 12-28-2018, 05:50 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Glad to hear it is shooting up to spec. They are fine little hide-outs. Mine is often carried during deer hunts in my vest or jacket pocket. Otherwise, it is carried on that IWB holster I mentioned above.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:20 PM
nwmousegunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
TPH

The discussion I was referring to cite occasions where dropping the hammer with the decocker resulted in a cracked safety drum. The recommended method is to use your thumb to ease the hammer down while using the decocker. Check out www.walther.com for a more detailed and better explanation. Membership is free and you will the members to be a knowledgeable group. Dave
Old 12-28-2018, 03:36 PM
Brittman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
j.r. and nwm,

Nice IWB holster there, j.r. - I like it! I have a CraftHolster coming for my TPH. It's and OWB model, leather and minimum size. (Is yours a German made pistol?)

Also, nwm, thanks again for the note on the decocker system employed on the TPH. I will have to check out the WaltherFirearm.com forum now.

Good shooting!

Brittman
Old 12-31-2018, 08:24 AM
Thomasconnor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (76)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DInghram View Post
I bought a TPH shortly after they became available here. It was a fairly nice little stainless pistol that functioned well as long as you used fairly strong loads. I had it for quite a while, but it`s been gone for a while now. What happened to these little things and were they well regarded? I wish that I still had it.
I would say they were rendered obsolete for anything other than plinking or collecting.

The blowback design is dated and there are now lighter 380s and 9mm pistols that weigh a similar amount...Tom
Old 01-02-2019, 02:51 AM
JohnnyK

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It sounds to me like the safety wasn't completely engaged. When the safety lever is switched to the "safe" mode it does meet more resistance as it reaches the end of its travel. This extra energy needed at this point trips the hammer to release but it is prevented from striking the firing pin by the safety block.
Sounds technical, but the gist of it is you may not have pushed the safety lever all the way.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:23 PM
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got one of the first Interarms stainless TPH in 22. It wasn’t reliable till I disassembled it and smoothed the moving parts and sharp edges. Now it’s 100% with solid point mini mags. It had a lot of sharp edges on the exterior, grip and slide that benefited from smoothing. The plastic grips cracked and fell apart just like the replacements from interarms. I replaced them with wood grips that give a better hold.
Turns out it’s a handy pistol to dispatch bobcats in live traps.

The safety is also a hammer drop.

In 1978 I passed up a NIB blue German TPH in 22 for $300. That reminds me to kick myself again.

Last edited by 1911nut; 01-02-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:22 PM
arnold ziffle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
this is mine. a great shooter and quite accurate. now let's see if i can post a pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1420_1559514133081.jpg (238.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-26-2019, 11:55 PM
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Love plinking with my TPH!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TPH-plates.jpg (178.8 KB, 40 views)
Old 07-28-2019, 12:24 AM
Brittman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
copfish,

Great photo!