22 handgun silhouette- which gun? - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:16 PM
oregon45

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

If you can find one, an 8 3/8" S&W M617 is a good choice. I had mine out at a silhouette match Sunday; shot 11/40, standing with open sights. Plenty of room for improvement but I think the gun is up to the task.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:50 PM
gregbenner

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I am curious, I shoot bullseye pistol, but have never shot silhouette.

For the pistols, what distance are you shooting, and what is the approximate size of the target? Slow fire or rapid?

If I was going to use optics (in my case a dot sight) I would want a shorter barrel in a somewhat heavy pistol. The 41 or. HS Victor would seem like excellent candidates of those mentioned.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:27 PM
Low Key
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
The most accurate 22 pistol that I have shot is my 1911 with a Marvel 22 conversion and red dot sight.

It is a accurate as my 22 rifles.

Last edited by Low Key; 03-17-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:55 PM
chapnelson
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbenner View Post
I am curious, I shoot bullseye pistol, but have never shot silhouette.

For the pistols, what distance are you shooting, and what is the approximate size of the target? Slow fire or rapid?

If I was going to use optics (in my case a dot sight) I would want a shorter barrel in a somewhat heavy pistol. The 41 or. HS Victor would seem like excellent candidates of those mentioned.
You'll see very very few short barrels on an IHMSA course: 25yd chickens, 50 yd pigs, 75 yd turkeys, 100 yd rams. Must not only hit but knock down steel target. NRA Smallbore Pistol is 40yd, 50yd, 75yd, 100yd. You could clean the 25 or 40 with your typical bullseye pistol sure, but to flip a ram at 100 takes a different approach. Red dots are uncommon, even the smallest dot hides the turkey at 75. I started IHMSA with a Ruger Mk2 and got tired of not playing past 25 and got a Contender. Id probably try a long Ruger or Smith today for the challenge, but the world champ revolver silhouette shooter never did much more than 30 of 40.

Last edited by chapnelson; 03-17-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:32 AM
az224
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Get a T/C Contender, not the G2, but the previous Contender. No other handgun in it's price category can come close to a Contender.

At 100 yards, a S & W model 41 is nowhere close to a Contender, and that's assuming you don't get a factory lemon.

Forget a 617, the manufacturing tolerances for S & W revolvers is way too generous, (they allow for a barrel/cylinder gap of up to .010"), same story with cylinder alignment and cylinder throat dimensions.

I shoot a Contender with a scope since I can't see iron sights clearly enough nowadays. I have a Mark III with a Volquartzen trigger and grip, I plan on putting a scope on it and checking the accuracy at 100 yards.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:12 PM
CZ_fan_4_Life

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry, I’m a year late on this thread. I’ve just gotten into bullseye shooting a year ago. Now i coach my son’s 4-H bullseye pistol team. Kids that make it to nationals will have to shoot a day of silhouette. We have no clubs anywhere in Mississippi that still hold matches anymore so we have nowhere to learn. So i am doing a lot of reading and video watching. 4-H doesn’t allow single shot pistols or single action revolvers anymore. So I’m following different threads to learn what the best guns to use are.
I saw some good advice on here. Thanks!
Old 07-22-2019, 10:09 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Sounds like the Hunter Pistol silhouette matches we used to have at our range. Ruger Mark II's, S&W 17's, and T/C Contenders were the predominant choices. T/C Contenders with 10" 22 LR Match barrels & rifle scopes using the "Taco" hold were consistently the top performers.

Not sure what your rules & regulations are - we were limited to 10" barrels and scopes limited to 9x power at that time. No problem going through any section of the match with a single shot.

Not sure if the 10/22 Charger style would work or if it is legal . . . I would go the T/C Contender route myself.