WalMart 17hmr ammunition is second quality? - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:19 AM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

I'm sure the cartridge machines at all the rimfire manufacturers are so screwed up that they spew hundreds of rounds of ammo on the floor, and their business model depends on someone sweeping up those loose rounds, then hand-packing them into new boxes in order to make a profit.

≡✪≡
Old 07-19-2019, 09:38 AM
DRob
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Baloney

I'm not a big fan of WalMart but I think the idea that they sell "seconds" is BS. When you buy so much that you can dictate the wholesale price, you can sell the same product for less. They don't buy anything by the truck load. More like the train or ship load. Manufacturers have gone under via that business model and it's nothing new. Sears allegedly did it to Tecumseh engines decades ago. Cut the price or cancel our order. Tecumseh can't afford to cut the price, Sears cancels their contract, and Tecumseh goes under. Sears then buys the company at bankruptcy price and continues making "Tecumseh" engines.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:56 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post
Didn't it occur to you that you were rude?
He's a business man fighting to stay alive. WalMart has put many many thousands of small businesses OOB.
Why rub his face in it?
A good gun shop is where you go for advice and things WM doesn't sell.

Has anyone ever told you your wife is ugly and you could have gotten a better one if you'd only shopped around more???
lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA80x80 View Post
I'm sure the cartridge machines at all the rimfire manufacturers are so screwed up that they spew hundreds of rounds of ammo on the floor, and their business model depends on someone sweeping up those loose rounds, then hand-packing them into new boxes in order to make a profit.
I knew a guy whose friend's friend of a girl worked at Remington and..... err, never mind.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:56 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am only going to say one thing. if a product i specifically packaged for walmart it will have a different upc and will always have a w before it. if you want know what i am talking about go to the electronics department and check the model number
Old 07-19-2019, 02:23 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If only I could get someone to unlock the ammo cabinet at WW then I would buy the cheaper ammo
Old 07-19-2019, 04:42 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA80x80 View Post

I SO want that job!
Old 07-16-2020, 09:38 PM
SHOVELHEAD82
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Late to the party here.

I help a friend from time to time at his gun shop and I see the prices that the suppliers charge for firearms and ammunition. It's pretty bad when the price he pays is the same or more than some large chain stores sell their wares for. Volume, volume,volume.

Kind of like when I was in the auto dealership parts business for close to fifty years. When we as parts managers would complain to our district parts sales managers how we as auto dealers representing the brand would buy spark plugs and filters at the same price as the nationwide chain auto parts stores would sell those same branded parts in the identical boxes for. The factory reps would say "Just buy boxcars loaded with those same spark plugs, oil and air filters like they do and I'll get your store the same pricing."

On the "floor sweepings", some parts countermen and managers over the years would play the "Those are seconds, factory rejects" game. We all knew better but some of us would be truthful and say "You should see what we pay for them" and let it go without resorting to lies.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:46 PM
Ledslnger

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I call bs on the floor sweepings. The ammo still says Winny, Sig, CCI, Remmy, etc. so I don’t think even Remmy would want to set themselves up for that big of failure.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:25 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would not return to that shop again. Any dealer that has to be dishonest to sell product doesn't know how to treat people. He hasn't figured out that volume beats mark up every time! If he was a dollar more than walmart you might not have even bothered buying ammo there. If he is more than five dollars a box over on rimfire he is pushing his luck with the customers.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:36 AM
dgeesaman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztarget View Post
I am only going to say one thing. if a product i specifically packaged for walmart it will have a different upc and will always have a w before it. if you want know what i am talking about go to the electronics department and check the model number
It really depends on the item.

Oil filters, box ammo, fishing rods, etc I don't think they have special models, just special wholesale costs. Wal-Mart will use their market presence to pressure suppliers to lower their sale price into negative margins. Like to Mobil1: "If you don't sell us jugs at $15/gallon, watch your sales volume drop in half and watch Pennzoil double, because we're not giving two suppliers this opportunity".

In the electronics world and tires they seem to move much higher volumes, and so the suppliers cue up a special version of the product. Just to make it a little cheaper, maybe to avoid being attacked by their other retailers for having Wal-mart undercutting everyone.

David

Last edited by dgeesaman; 07-17-2020 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:04 AM
ThreeCrows
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Walmart ammo and rifles are the same quality as any ammo or rifle of similar model at any store/source. Walmart and other large buyers may specify a particular set of features but they do not specify that they be sent floor sweep or left overs or specifically request junk rifles of lower quality. In fact, there is every reason to believe that if the manufacturer was sorting quality, that Walmart, a large customer, would get the best and that Bob's Overpriced Gun Sales, a small customer, would get the worst.

Walmart might do something like, Mr. Marlin/Savage/Ruger/etc., we would like to purchase 5,000 units of XX model and we want a synthetic stock, a scoped package and we do not want the AccuTrigger or some other feature thus allowing them to provide value packages that might not be available at smaller retailers. But the quality is the same. CCI does not have a Quality Knob with a vernier of Poor, Good, Really Good and Perfect that they set at each order, oh, this order is for Walmart, hey, Joe, turn the Quality Knob down to Poor please!
Old 07-21-2020, 04:01 PM
DRob
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCrows View Post
The Walmart ammo and rifles are the same quality as any ammo or rifle of similar model at any store/source. Walmart and other large buyers may specify a particular set of features but they do not specify that they be sent floor sweep or left overs or specifically request junk rifles of lower quality. In fact, there is every reason to believe that if the manufacturer was sorting quality, that Walmart, a large customer, would get the best and that Bob's Overpriced Gun Sales, a small customer, would get the worst.

Walmart might do something like, Mr. Marlin/Savage/Ruger/etc., we would like to purchase 5,000 units of XX model and we want a synthetic stock, a scoped package and we do not want the AccuTrigger or some other feature thus allowing them to provide value packages that might not be available at smaller retailers. But the quality is the same. CCI does not have a Quality Knob with a vernier of Poor, Good, Really Good and Perfect that they set at each order, oh, this order is for Walmart, hey, Joe, turn the Quality Knob down to Poor please!
About as well explained as could be. A great example is the famous "Walmart Special" 10/22 which was only available at Walmart. Thus the name. I'm glad to have one. They're no longer available as far as I know. It was discussed here https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...ad.php?t=87292