Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:31 PM
CraigC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

As with all custom guns, it's up to the purchaser to decide whether or not it's worth the added expense. The question is, is it worth it to YOU.

To say it is overpriced is to dismiss the value in it. It can be more than you are willing to pay but that does not mean it is overpriced. There is MUCH more to a custom gun than accuracy. That is only a small part of it, sometimes improved accuracy is not even a consideration. Now I have never disassembled a Volquartsen rifle but I can just about guarantee you it is much better fitted and finished than a $140 Ruger. You also get a scratch-built stainless steel receiver cut from stock on a CNC mill. Not exactly the work of Bob's Machine Shop up the street. You simply cannot rebuild a Ruger to be as tight as a gun built precisely from the start.

Everybody acquires custom guns for different reasons. They are certainly not for everyone. Not everyone can see the value in them, not everyone can appreciate what they offer. Only you can decide if it's worth the investment. I've had four custom guns built, one built twice. All Rugers, all single action revolvers. I have anywhere between two and five times what I paid for them, in them. I could've bought a pile of factory guns for what I have in them but that wasn't what I wanted. They were all worth the money, to me.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:25 PM
SamSpade
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTH View Post
Your VQ rifle is very accurate but make no mistake it's no Lilja, not even close.
A Lilja barrel is no panacea, I have a couple on centerfires! My understanding is that VQ's barrels are made by Lothar Walthar which is a very good barrel maker.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:59 PM
Passinby

TPC Rating: 
99% (69)
Send a message via Yahoo to Passinby
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
A Lilja barrel is no panacea, I have a couple on centerfires! My understanding is that VQ's barrels are made by Lothar Walthar which is a very good barrel maker.
The LWs are generally more expensive than the Lilja if you order a similar custom barrel from them.

A certain semi-famous accurizing gunsmith used by a lot of RFC ers once told me to avoid the LIlja and go with Pac-Nor, Douglas or another vendor (forgot which) if I wanted to order a custom barrel fitted through him. Seems the quality had gotten a little uneven in recent years, at the same time they were being fairly unresponsive to complaints from the buyers. That may have changed by now.

I believe once you get the equivalent of a good GM match barrel, you'll get far more accuracy advantages out of expensive ammo and extensive practice than you will out of a more expensive barrel.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:03 PM
VarmintAssassin
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Absolutely worth the money.

Even if not just because they are so dang accurate....

Just because its fun to see the guys that were too cheap or couldn't afford them to try and pick on them when they have never shot one

(Don't get me wrong... there are a lot of good guns out there but the VQ is one of the best and you will never regret buying one)
Old 03-20-2007, 08:39 PM
shuter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have 2 of them, with a 3rd on the way. . .

"Your VQ rifle is very accurate but make no mistake it's no Lilja, not even close"

Huh? You ever owned one? You mean to tell me a Lilja barrel clamped onto a 10/22 reciever (not a stainless barrel, screwed into a barstock machined stainless receiver with an integral Weaver scope base) will shoot tighter than 1/2 moa? Sure.

YES, they're worth the $$$. As has been stated above, you WILL spend more money customizing a Ruger to the level of a VQ, and you'll be left with . . . a Ruger, and you'll take it in the shorts if you sell.

Depending on barrel option, stock option, etc, you can get a VQ for between about $900-$1,350. Yes, that's some dough, but you'll have a 1/2 moa HMR that will accept any Ruger mag, and will pile them one on top of the other as fast as you can pull the trigger!

There's nothing like them in .17 HMR semi-auto land - nothing.

see ya
Old 07-18-2019, 09:33 PM
jp_over
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Excellent discussion in an old thread.

Any updates from folks who purchased a Volquartsen or upgraded a 10/22?

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2019, 02:06 AM
Ledslnger

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I have a VQ Scorpion and a .17 hmr rifle and parts from them. All are well worth it.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:02 AM
hump
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I am a great VQ fan also , they are the best semi auto 17 HMRs avail in my opinion