Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:17 PM
Martiniman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Bore leading

My son purchased an M4-22 on Tuesday. First range outing on Independence day started out great, but then went downhill. After about 75 rounds accuracy fell off and by 85 rounds it was just wildy throwing bullets. The cause was found after feild stripping the rifle and looking through the bore. From about half an inch to three inches ahead of the chamber the bore is severely leaded to the point that there is a buildup of over 1/32 of lead.

Ammo was Remington Thunderbolt which has given no trouble in any of his or my other .22 rifles.

Looks to be real trouble to get out.

Anyone else experience this in the Tippmann?
Old 07-04-2019, 09:17 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Get a copper (not plated - real copper) dish washing pad.

Clip off some strands and wrap it onto a jag. Use Hoppes or something to lubricate it and go to town. The lead will come out. There are several other lead remover products that work as well.

Once you have all the lead back out... Try some other ammo to see if it's an ammo problem or a barrel problem. If Minimags do the same thing - it's a barrel problem.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:55 PM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
The Ever Evolving Lead Removal Process:

Wow! Your are in for a good time! Use the Chore Boy copper wrapped around a bore brush with some Kroil and take a vitamin.. Once you can see the majority of the grooves in the bore, switch over to JB Paste and a new bronze brush. Don't be shy with the JB, and give it about 40 laps. Clean as you normally would, with very little dark ring on your last dry patch. Wait, it's not over. Get some Safariland Break Free CLP soak barrel for about 1 hour. With another new wet bronze brush, give it about 15 laps. Clean, repeat with Break Free. If you have a borescope, check bore for lead. In my never ending search to remove lead the easiest way possible, this has worked best. If lead is still present in grooves, repeat process with JB and Break Free. My borescope tells me this works, and is quite possible this is the least abrasive method I have found. (so far).... AH

PS: Why are you posting this in the Sponsor Forum?

Last edited by ammohog; 07-04-2019 at 11:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2019, 08:14 AM
Martiniman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Why this forum?

Curious if this has been reported by other Timmann owners as I have never seen a brand new rifle lead like this. Thunderbolt has worked well in all my other .22 rifles, new or old. I was shooting a new marlin of mine at the same time with the same box of ammo with no leading.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:05 AM
mpolk
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
There's NO worse ammo in existence than Remington ammo.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:37 PM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I don't use Remington ammo in any of my .22 rifles.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:36 PM
C.C.
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammohog View Post
I don't use Remington ammo in any of my .22 rifles.

Agreed! I used Remington Subsonic HP, until I found better ammo. The guys at my shooting range tell me that Remington ammo is the most they find in the dud barrel.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:22 PM
Martiniman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Leading removed

Using the bronze brush/copper chore boy method the worst of the fouling was removed, then jb bore paste was repeatedly applied until the bore was completely clean of lead. Then, several patches moistened with bore cleaner were pushed through, followed by a dry patch and then an oiled patch.
With a now clean bore 75 rounds of high speed Federal .22lr were fired with no leading resulting.
Finally 25 rounds of the same Remington Thunderbolt were fired, this time resulting in no leading at all.
Evidently the bore was just rough enough to lead when first fired with Remington Thunderbolt.

Problem solved.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:53 PM
TT92
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thunderbolts are the the bottom of the barrel. Some lots are worse than others.

I am an Appleseed instructor. I once observed a husband/wife pair of shooters using Thunderbolts lead up six of our loaner rifles so badly none of them would shoot. These included a CZ 452, a Marlin, and four Rugers.

During the Great Ammo Shortage of about six years ago, all rimfire ammo was cleared off the shelves everywhere... but you could still find Thunderbolts!
Old 07-07-2019, 01:08 AM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martiniman View Post
Using the bronze brush/copper chore boy method the worst of the fouling was removed, then jb bore paste was repeatedly applied until the bore was completely clean of lead. Then, several patches moistened with bore cleaner were pushed through, followed by a dry patch and then an oiled patch.
With a now clean bore 75 rounds of high speed Federal .22lr were fired with no leading resulting.
Finally 25 rounds of the same Remington Thunderbolt were fired, this time resulting in no leading at all.
Evidently the bore was just rough enough to lead when first fired with Remington Thunderbolt.

Problem solved.
Knowing that the Thunderbolts were causing you a problem and you had to go through all that effort to clean you gun, why would you shoot them through it again? They will give you the same problem.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:38 AM
Martiniman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thunderbolt again

Shot Thunderbolt again because, as I said, it has not been a problem in ANY of my other rifles.
As stated, it did not lead after the JB treatment.
Obviously, not all rifles tolerate the same ammo. I have an old Mossberg that will not shoot any Federal well. It prefers CCI.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:51 PM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Albert Einstein is widely credited with saying, “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”

Then again, what did he know?
Old 11-02-2019, 09:18 PM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martiniman View Post
Shot Thunderbolt again because, as I said, it has not been a problem in ANY of my other rifles.
As stated, it did not lead after the JB treatment.
I had a similar experience in a new MKII Ruger decades ago. Thunderbolt choked the bore and I pushed out strands of shiny lead to clean it out. Once cleaned, it never happened again, and that pistol saw many thousands of rounds of Thunderbolt.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:27 PM
Big Pete10
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If there is any ammo available that is not Remington, that's what I buy. I have shot Remington and have not had actual leading but it is very filthy ammo if not the copper plated stuff. Shot Remington std for a while, rim size was all over the place, some so large they would malfunction in my MarkII pistol. I won't buy Remington .22 ammo if I have a choice. It will foul chambers, won't extract, best is to not buy it.