Extractor problem - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-04-2019, 06:53 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Extractor problem

I have looked thru the posts and haven't seen My particular problem discussed, I have one of the first 77/22"s sold without open sights. The original barrel shot okay, but not nearly as good as I would have liked. I replaced it and a 10/22 with a green mountain 20 inch fluted sporter. Both shot 1/2 inch at 50 yds. I had to replace the extractor on the 10/22 with a Volquartsen. It worked fine.The 77/22 worked fine for a time, but now it will not extract a live round. Does Volquartsen make an extractor for a 77/22? If not, can I get one from Ruger? I am not going to send the gun back to Ruger with a green mountain barrel on it. I am well satisfied with the barrel. It just has a tight chamber on it and needs a better extractor. The gun is old and I'm sure that the extractor is worn or weak spring, Advice please
Old 07-04-2019, 08:13 PM
trueg50

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have you done a full disassembly and deep cleaning on the extractor/springs/bolt face?

I just fitted up a 20" GM Fluted sporter to my 77/22 last night and can confirm it has an awfully tight chamber!

Numrich has the extractor springs, but it looks like they are out of the extractors.

It looks like Brownells carries them

Edit: I just tried cycling more ammo through my new barrel and I'm having quite a lot of issues with the extractor slipping off the case rim due to the tight fit.

Last edited by trueg50; 07-04-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:05 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Extractor problem fixed

I cleaned the chamber, seems to have solved the problem. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2019, 01:10 AM
donie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a modified stock barrel where the chamber was shortened until rifling marks show on a RWS round, and those will extract reliably. CCI Std velocity ammo has the driving band even more forward, those will begin to stick after 20 rounds, I have to brush the chamber often using waxy lubed ammo then with ammo that is more oily.