Bought a Traditions cannon today. - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:49 PM
NMC_EXP

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

My grandpa was a farmer. He had a forge, welder, torch and all that sort of gear and he liked to make stuff. Also had a scrap iron pile which would have took a semi trailer to haul off.

Was getting close to Independence Day and he decided to make a cannon. He dug around the iron pile and found a piece of 8" pipe. It was capped and welded on one end and was about 4 ft long.

We hauled it to the shop. He drilled one small hole in the side of the pipe near the capped end. Also drilled and tapped a hole in the end cap where he installed a spark plug.

We set it up on sawhorses and ran a wire from the magneto on a push type lawn mower to the spark plug.

Then he inserted the tip of the acetylene torch in the side hole and gave it a squirt of acetylene and had one of us kids pull the mower starter rope.

Wow. Huge noise and a 4 foot fireball.

It was loud enough to bring grandma walking 200 yards from the house to see what happened, and was anyone dead or dying.

With those questions answered she proceeded to chew out grandpa for rattling the house windows without giving her warning.

The cannon worked great for several years. Then my cousin inherited it. He started stuffing projectiles in it and using ether starting fluid for an extra boost - things grandpa never did.

Last time cousin used it it was raining so he had it just inside the shop. Don't recall what he had stuffed in the barrel but the tube burst. Nobody injured but there is still a large jagged piece of the pipe stuck deep in a ceiling rafter.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:12 PM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"Too Much is Never Enough".
A line a motorcycle magazine in the mid 80's used to describe the then new 1200cc Yamaha V-Max and how those likely to buy one feel about horse power, acceleration, & speed... That thought isn't just for bikes!
Old 04-14-2019, 04:23 PM
NMC_EXP

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
LoneWolf

I found and assembled my cannon.

The barrel is stamped 'SPAIN' ahead of the vent hole. The muzzle has several numbers and symbols stamped on it including '63'.

The muzzle diameter is .650".

The barrel is 15" long including the cascabel.

The wheels are 11.5" diameter and are dished. From what I've read the standard gun carriage (called the #1) had 57" diameter dished wheels. Since 11.5/57 = 0.202. I guess that makes this a 1/5 scale more or less?

I came with two ram rods. It has the aiming shaft and a section of chain. The grease and water buckets are missing. Could probably use some scale model rope.

Ought to be able to use .58 cal round or Minie in this one.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:44 PM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My stupid smart phone can't copy links, but I just did a Google search for ".648 lead ball ammo" and saw at least 2 sources. Those should work for you. If you can't replicate my search, let me know, I'll do it on a PC and give you some links.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:51 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ahhh! the "big bang theory"
Old 04-14-2019, 05:03 PM
NMC_EXP

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
That's a surprise - I found .648 round ball - thanks.

The thing is when I look down the barrel it appears the muzzle is counterbored about an inch deep then steps down to a slightly smaller diameter. That may account for the .650 at the muzzle vs the 63 marking.

I do not have bore gages to reach in that far and get an actual diameter farther in.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:11 PM
NMC_EXP

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfSS454 View Post
"Too Much is Never Enough".
That was my cousin's philosophy for certain.

He was a laugh a minute. Bunch of us cousins were camping in the timber with a bottle of whiskey "borrowed" from an uncle.

It was late and everyone was gathered around the campfire nice and mellow. Conversation was dying down. Butch moseyed to the fire and poked the embers a bit then wandered off.

Then all hell broke loose - he had tossed a box of .22 LR in the coals.

That's my cousin.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:03 PM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I may have found some info that might help you figure out who made your cannon, and the caliber, Maybe? I found the names of 2 other cannon makers from Spain (other than the Jukar I have). One is Denix, the other is Ardesa. I'm not sure if Denix will pan out though, I looked at a number of them and they seemed to be too small. You might want to do some searching around online for Ardesa cannons and see if anything looks like yours or has a caliber that could be that smaller size down in your bore.
Edit: I just found a .490 ball mentioned for a cannon, Here: https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/...on+small+scale
I seem to remember seeing something around a .58 or .548 as well but can't find it now...

A can of Off bug spray thrown into a camp fire (mostly full can, but failed to spray after some limited use) makes a nice surprise after it's forgotten about... The resulting cloud killed the mosquitoes for a good 15 minutes or more too!

Last edited by LoneWolfSS454; 04-14-2019 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:40 PM
NMC_EXP

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Other than caliber the details of mine appear to be identical to the Ardesa Napoleon.

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:05 PM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
YW, glad to assist & help solve some of the mystery.