reloading wadcutters? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:46 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

If the biggest bullet you can comfortably push through the cylinder is .358 what are ya gonna do if your bore groove dia. is .359 or .360?
Imo, you might as well find out how well you can get it to group with the .358 without bothering to slug the bore. Maybe it will be fine with whatchagot. If that means using soft hollow base wadcutters is that Ok with you? This is why I use as large a dia. bullet as possible, especially with light loads that wont 'bump up'; that means not forcing the bullet of that dia. into an undersize/resized case mouth. The biggest dia. lead bullet that fits into a fully fire-formed case mouth will, without a doubt, make it through the cylinder mouth and downbore (there wont be any pressure problems, its lead). If it shoots well, and they usually do, I dont need to mess about, just reload easy and shoot.
If it just wont shoot to your satisfaction because the chamber mouths are too small you will know soon enough and can start to consider your options.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:01 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
If the biggest bullet you can comfortably push through the cylinder is .358 what are ya gonna do if your bore groove dia. is .359 or .360?
Imo, you might as well find out how well you can get it to group with the .358 without bothering to slug the bore. Maybe it will be fine with whatchagot. If that means using soft hollow base wadcutters is that Ok with you? This is why I use as large a dia. bullet as possible, especially with light loads that wont 'bump up'; that means not forcing the bullet of that dia. into an undersize/resized case mouth. The biggest dia. lead bullet that fits into a fully fire-formed case mouth will, without a doubt, make it through the cylinder mouth and downbore (there wont be any pressure problems, its lead). If it shoots well, and they usually do, I dont need to mess about, just reload easy and shoot.
If it just wont shoot to your satisfaction because the chamber mouths are too small you will know soon enough and can start to consider your options.
Good advise,

I will probably shoot the 50 rounds that I re-loaded already, just to get a base idea of what's going on. from there, I'll go ahead as suggested of using Crayola crayons to use as a slug, and see if I'm at .358 or larger for the bore. As i posted earlier, i'm quite adept with re-loading jacketed rifle bullets, but this is new territory for me.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:03 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Got a little time today to shoot the 50 rounds of 148 gr. HBWC, at 15 yards. Pretty much ended up with a ragged hole, so I am quite happy with not full length re-sizing, and just using a case mouth expander die, followed by the hornady bullet seater/crimp die.

Later I might try the Lee Factory, but i think it will swage down the diameter too much. This weekend, i will re-load some more cases.

Thanx for all the replies.
Old 05-08-2020, 01:00 PM
Chubbs103

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been reloading straight wall pistol cartridges for years and still fall into the trap of overthinking things.

There have probably been more HBWCs loaded for .38Spec/.357 Mag than all other flavors combined. Most of these with the standard three die process.

I have several revolvers that I feed, so I always re-size. I have never had an issue, and I too like Speer HBWCs at .358. I bell the case just enough so they start to sit straight if I push with my thumb. There are bullseye guys that skip re-sizing.

The Lee Factory Crimp die gets controversial fast. I have never used one, so I shouldn't voice an opinion. I will say that I have loaded a fair number of HBWCs and have never seen the need for anything different than the crimp and seat die from my 1977 RCBS 3 die set. I do a very light roll-crimp over the flush seated bullet. I cannot see how the FCD could improve this. Plenty of people straighten the bell and stop. Load some each way and check if you see a difference in performance. My guess is that it matters little.

By the way, if you remain concerned, get some wadcutter brass (assuming you can find it). The internal dimensions are designed for seating wadcutters.
Old 05-08-2020, 01:05 PM
Chubbs103

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One quick addition. All of my handgun brass gets trimmed to length. Once. The consistency that I get in seating and crimping is well worth the effort to me. Many will tell you not to bother.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:32 PM
JDWinCO

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Straight wall cartridges for handguns need and should be full length sized, they are not bottle neck rifle cartridges that need neck sized to fit a particular chamber for accuracy.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:57 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tension should keep those in place. I think you are using the wrong flair die stem. You need a short 9mm flair die center and not a long 38 swc one. I had a problem with my 32 long wc loads until I realized I needed the 32 acp size expander and not the 32 mag expander for better neck tension. The normal one for 32 mag and 38 opens up the case for big long bullets that have a crimp groove. You need to mix and match dies for this load if you have other 38super/9mm/380 die set or just order a different flair stem. Just flair the mouth and a bit of case so you get the bullets started but have good tension when you seat your bullets.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:05 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Back in the 50's a lot of the L.A. Police were using gas checked reversed wad cutters in snubs used as BUGs or carried by detectives.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:39 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Keep pressures light with hollow base bullets.

Ken Waters mentioned that one time shooting hollow base wad cutters the pressure was too high and blew through the bullet, leaving the barrel partially obstructed. It was discovered before a subsequent shot was taken. Keep the pressures mild. Or, use solid base wad cutters which is what I prefer.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:15 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Yeah. Too much over 800 fps is supposed to increase leading in the barrel and risk the integrity of the bullet with the hollow base wad cutters. If you want to load hot, use a jacketed bullet, IMHO.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

P.S. I lucked upon a light load of Shooter's World Clean Shot (Lovex 032) -- just 2.7 grains in my S&W Model 14. Works great with the Hornady 148 grain HBWCs and very clean burning. Haven't been able to reproduce the small group size with double ended wad cutters. So low velocity is working for me from a target shooting perspective. I need to shoot a couple over a chronograph and see what the MV is with that combination.

Last edited by flangster; 05-13-2020 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:40 AM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
A plug (pun intended) for Laser Cast bullets.

I have been buying bullets for years from the Oregon Bullet Company. I do not get any leading. The below is from their site. Try it, you'll like it.

Whether you call it magic, divine providence or simply good luck, Oregon Trail® Bullet Company came together with a rare mix of talented idealists, all focused “like a laser” on one simple plan: to offer our shooters the finest hard cast lead bullets ever, supported by the best in customer service. Our staff of metallurgists and production engineers, shooters all, fell enthusiastically to the work of making our dream of excellence come true in the Laser Cast® Silver Bullet. Working with an old-time regard for quality, they accomplished in five years the first real breakthrough in cast lead bullet technology in a century.

SHOOT THE REAL SILVER BULLET®….REALLY!

Oregon Trail’s® endless R&D and fanatical quality control might be enough to put us at the top, but there’s much more to the story: exclusive access to expensive precious metals allowed our engineers to develop the exclusive Laser-Cast® Silver Bearing Alloy and the specialized production equipment to exploit it. No one else has it, and no other cast bullet available today can match Laser-Cast’s® revolutionary performance. The inclusion of silver in conjunction with our proprietary blend of 7 other virgin elements produces an unbeatable hard cast lead bullet of unprecedented toughness, consistency and precision.

CUTTING-EDGE PERFORMANCE, LAST-CENTURY PRICE

Oregon Trail® guarantees your satisfaction unconditionally. As shooters, we have absolute confidence in our Laser-Cast® lead bullets, the confidence you need when your shot has to count. Whether you’re pressing off X’s at a Bullseye match, hunting something that can eat YOU or knocking bowling pins into the next ZIP code, we have a match-proven Laser-Cast® lead bullet to give you the winning edge. Shoot The Real Silver Bullet® and set a new performance standard for yourself!

As always, your satisfaction GUARANTEED or you money back!
No leading
Slick Silver Bearing Alloy yields highest velocities of all Extreme accuracy
Laser-Cast® performance at ordinary cast bullet prices
Old 05-13-2020, 07:12 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Berry's has a copper plated 148 grain hollow base wadcutter.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:49 PM
JJB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
load any backwards?

I have loaded some HBWCs backwards in a few cases... O M G what a terminal effect on a soft target!

jjb
Old 08-21-2020, 09:26 PM
waltermoe
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have reloaded for almost 50 years now. I have never reloaded pistol cartridges with out full length sizing, the only exception would be if I was reloading for a Contender or some other single shot pistol. You said the revolver your using is a 357mag. and your shooting 38 specials in it, it doesn't take that much recoil to pull the bullet out of the case. If there isn't enough tension on the bullet from not being full length sized and crimped, the bullets can be pulled out of the mouth of the case, same principle as a kinetic bullet puller. I would check the other cartridges in the cylinders after a couple of rounds to make sure their not being pulled out of the cases.
Old 08-22-2020, 11:38 AM
FrankW

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had a few cases that when seating the bullet, the bullet due to gravity will slightly sink down below the case mouth, maybe a 1/32 of an inch.

Hi Flintlock28,

I suggest you full length size you cases and seat your wadcutter proud of the case. That will work better when you crimp the case. You don't need much, about 1/16th inch or so. Maybe 3/32. This should solve your sinking bullet problem.

Frank