FAS 6004; rediculously low velocity - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:38 AM
Ray1946
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
FAS 6004; rediculously low velocity

Last January I bought a FAS 6004. The fit and finish of the pistol is superb, everything is there to make it a very usable 10-meter competition fun gun.

The only problem is the velocity is only 303-320 fps with best 7.0 gr. match pellets. I tried 3 different Match pellets, but it didn't matter;still very low velocity!

I contacted AoA and asked them why they advertised 400 fps. when there gun only puts out 300 fps. They stated to me that was the info supplied by the manufacturer; Chiappa Firearms. The big problem is I don't have any targets the thickness of toilet tissue and because the velocity is so low, over half of the pellets won't penetrate the clay in my silent pellet trap.

I haven't been in contact with AoA in a while, so I may contact them on Monday and see if there is a "fix" yet for there wondertoy........................
Old 11-24-2018, 09:25 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
How's the accuracy Ray? If it's consistant and accurate I wouldn't worry about terminal velocity. At least not for a 10 meter air pistol.

Frank
Old 11-24-2018, 10:16 AM
Ray1946

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The accuracy is very good. The main problem is the pellets won't penetrate the clay on my silent pellet trap and over half of them bounce off the clay after they penetrate the paper. If there they had been a little more honest in their advertising and stated correctly that the velocity was 305-320 range I would not have bought the pistol.

I have an IZH46 and a 46m. The low end 46 still does 395-405 fps and easily stays in the clay of my silent pellet trap. Does anyone know of a fix to get the velocity close to 400 as advertised?......................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2018, 11:19 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
The manual doesn't say anything about oil in the air inlet but you might try a drop of silicon/pellgun oil. https://www.chiappafirearms.com/uplo...ocumento_7.pdf

If it's punching nice groups I'd just cut a piece of 1" styrofoam and put it in front of the clay to catch the spent pellets. Obviously it bothers you but the object is tight groups not terminal velocity. Speed is moot as long as it's consistent shot to shot.

Frank
Old 11-26-2018, 10:27 PM
troystat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the same air pistol that I also got from AofA, they did not seem to be willing to do anything about the velocity but here is a link to tuning the air pistol the gets you a very good increase of velocity.

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=53523

By tightening the seal between the barrel and the air chamber you gain quite a bit of velocity. Even with the tune up the velocity is still very low but the tuneup is worth doing.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:23 PM
Ray1946

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks so much! I will be doing the tune. You know; sometimes I really get sick and tired of having to deal with the liars and BS artists that are so full 0f themselves that they see no need to be honest and actually practice any semblance of integrity..........
Old 11-29-2018, 08:35 PM
troystat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hope the tune-up helps. The tune up shows using a metal shim washer, I got some of those and the inside diameter was just a bit tight and instead of trying to ream out the shim washer I just cut one side of the washer so it sprung open just a bit and then fit it in. Let us know how it works for you. I was a little disappointed that Airguns of AZ did not know about this tuneup. Good luck with yours.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:29 AM
melohn
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
fas 6004

I bought one too, now it's going back to AOA for a refund
it's the second gun I've tried and both had the same problem
nice concept, POS
Old 03-22-2019, 02:32 PM
ba49

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I did the tune up and mine works great now. The tune up is fairly easy to do. The breach seal shim and barrel adjustment made a big difference in mine.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:44 PM
Joe58
US Coast Guard Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba49 View Post
I did the tune up and mine works great now. The tune up is fairly easy to do. The breach seal shim and barrel adjustment made a big difference in mine.
Do you know by how much your velocity was boosted? And if itís consistent?

Iíve been considering buying one of these for awhile, but may hold off now. Dunno.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:08 PM
ba49

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's been a little while ago but I do remember it came up to the advertised fps. by my crony with RWS Hobbys. It has continued to shoot around the same fts after about 700 shots. It is a real tack driver and a pleasure to shoot after the mods. When I first got it it was shooting about 50fps. low with the RWS Hobbys. I would buy one again but only if I did the mods too. I'm a lefty and I love the ambi grips. Not as accurate as my HW45 but a great shooter for the price imo.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:04 AM
troystat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad you all had success with the tune up.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:26 AM
Bolero
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
98% (43)
FAS

The gun is a POS send it to me and I will send you a $100 to help cover your misfortune.....PM me if interested...
Old 03-24-2019, 01:13 PM
ba49

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
LOL, it's is a very nice gun although I think maybe overpriced. I actually prefer my Daisy 777 and 747 to it. Trigger is little better than the Daisys but not a lot. The Daisys are just as accurate and easier to maintain IMO.