Old 05-01-2012, 08:17 AM
Siafu
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)

Mini-14 Target.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:53 PM
MZ5
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got my first Mini-14 recently. Stainless w/laminated stock. I really like it! I've had AR-15s before, but this gun is more fun, to me. I don't see iron sights very well any more but this rifle is more accurate than much of 'the internet' led me to believe I should expect. Haven't done too much but blow mil-surp down-range for fun and 'break-in' (which just means shoot it, to me) thus far, but I can clang any/all of the steel plates at the 200 yard mark at the range without difficulty.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:34 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Old thread, but seemed to be the best place for this...

Bought this Mini-14 SS-AW almost 20 years ago. Hardly ever fired it, and barely even pulled it out of the safe in over a decade. Thought about selling it, but my son likes it so I decided to hang onto it for him.

I never cared much for the looks of the synthetic stock, though it feels and handles just fine, and decided a long time ago to get a laminate stock for it, but just never got around to it. Was shopping around for one recently and noticed Accuracy Systems offers some nice stocks and makes hand-guards for later rifles like the ones on the old 180 series too, but the hand-guards are only listed in wood on their website. I really like that look but had my heart set on going gray laminate for the SS rifle, so I started thinking "wouldn't a laminate stock with matching laminate hand-guard be cool".

Called to ask if it was possible to get the hand-guard in laminate as well and was told they used to make them but no longer do. Was torn over trying to convince myself to order a walnut set or forgoing the matching hand-guard idea. I'm not crazy about the look of SS in wood and found myself now kinda' wishing I'd bought a blue/black rifle way back when. But then, aside from "if wishes were fishes", I'd have bought it with a wooden stock in the first place. Anyway, I still just couldn't seem to make up my mind.

Not two weeks later I happened to notice a recently closed unsold listing on Gunbroker for an unused set of gray laminate stock with matching hand-guard (which I assume is basically NOS Accuracy Systems). Perfect! I contacted the seller and was told he still had it and was placing it on eBay. I bid and lost, the closing bid going way above the limit I set for myself. Wouldn't you know it, the same seller relisted it a week or so later... winning bidder must have reneged. This time I won it, and at the opening price!

Before:
Mini-14-orig-stock-1200x900.jpg

After:
Mini-14-laminate-stock-1200x900.jpg

Gotta' replace that cheapie scope I put on it when I originally bought the rifle. Being a budget scope isn't so much the issue considering the rifle's not all that accurate to start with (though that's okay), but the bright silver scope isn't a very good match for the matte stainless of the rifle (sunlit pics notwithstanding). Probably better off with a matte black scope. Guess I should dig around and see what else I have on-hand.

Last edited by Bird-Dog; 01-17-2019 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:40 PM
Leonard T

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had one in the 80s. IT was the coolest gun out there. Traded a Remington 600 243 win for it. Big mistake wish I had the Remington back. The mini 14 was/is a spray n pray rifle at best. Shot minute of paper plate at 75 yards with carefully loaded handloads. I got rid of it and bought a colt sp1 ar, with the same handloads it shot 3/4-1.25 in groups at 100 yards. Buy an ar and don't look back you will be much happier, I am but ymmv.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:52 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bird Dog. Thatís a nice story. And a real nice looking SS Mini14. Send the triggergroup off to Randy at CPC. Believe or not , thatís the accuracy key on these guns, just an over travel screw. On the skinny barrel ones like yours, a barrel strut will keep that barrel from doing the hula after it gets warm. And instead of the scope, get yourself a nice red dot , like an acog.

Good going. Thatís one swell looking stock.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:37 PM
NWFRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a NIB stainless/wood ranch Mini-14 when I turned eighteen in 2002. I saved my pennies working after-school jobs my senior year. I ran factory Ruger 20rd mags. I mounted a Redfield 6x36 that I bought at a yard sale. It was real fun for the kind of plinking I was doing up on the farm back then. Minute-of-milkjug offhand. I sold it a few years later to buy a POS Olympic Arms AR. Many people had me convinced that the AR was an upgrade. Back in those days I'm not convinced that it was. My AR was trash. It was light and bouncy and noisy and over-gassed and the barrel would heat up and string rounds almost immediately. I still miss my Mini.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:48 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine came in a ATI Tactical stock, with a folding butt stock pistol http rails etc. I guess they were trying to compete with the ARs before they joined them.

Recently I bought a wood stock , off eBay , and the screws and hardware from brownells. Havenít switched it up yet, but I am looking forward to that.

Then Iíll have the ranch rifle I always wanted.