Old 11-06-2018, 09:34 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill40718 View Post
Doc,
I'll volunteer as a tester, heck I'd even pay to be a tester. I've used the original version and like it.
PM me your shipping addy and Thy Will Be Done, Sir.

It might be a week before it goes out, my office manager is on vacation and I’m Clerically Impaired.

DrGunner
Old 12-18-2018, 12:09 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
To Put a Finer Point on it....

I’m always thinking of ways to improve on these cleaning tools. One of the shortcomings I have frequently encountered has to do with the patch poking point on the button style patch pullers. I have the material and button making process down to a science. Having used them for years, I am quite happy with what I have created, but I’ve always had a little bit of difficulty with the pointy end of the pullers – they often bend when trying to poke through a patch which can be annoying. I often start the hole with an awl or scribe tool.
Over the years I have tried many different methods and materials to harden the point on the patch puller tools, without success- until now.
I had tried heat, crazy glue, epoxy and other adhesives without luck until last week. I happened upon a liquid adhesive that is used for tying fishing flies that is activated with UV light. I purchased some of this glue on Amazon and I am extremely pleased with the results. You simply fabricate the button puller and point as per my original instructions, grinding/sanding to a conical point, then smooth and polish it by pulling the point through fine steel wool multiple times with strong pressure applied.

Now, to finish and harden the point, you simply dip it into a bottle of the THIN UV Adhesive, scrape off the excess on the rim of the bottle, then holding the trimmer line vertical with the point down, flick it sharply a couple of times with your middle finger and thumb, which serves to remove excess adhesive- leaving an even coat. Then you simply cure the adhesive with a UV flashlight which comes with the glue kit linked below. The UV adhesive glue has multiple applications so the investment would not be simply for finishing patch pullers- although it does happen to do an amazing job creating and incredibly hard and resilient point for the button pullers.

See pics below-

Close up detail with glue hardened point on left, unfinished on right:

Product used and UV Light:

The glue kit with flashlight cost me $22. I probably used about 10% of the “Thin” glue to dress the points on 50 patch pullers. This glue kit will go a long way, and has countless applications for repairing things in my shop and around the house.
It literally sets hard in 10 seconds of UV light exposure.

Amazon link-

Contains Glue- (Thick, Thin and Flex)plus 12 LED UV Flashlight (runs on 3 AAA batteries)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N4...op_mb_pd_title

Respectfully,

DrGunner

Last edited by DrGunner; 12-18-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:16 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (232)
DrG, you are giving away all your trade secrets! There goes the patent application! You're too generous, sir!

Doug
Old 12-18-2018, 06:36 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
DrG, you are giving away all your trade secrets! There goes the patent application! You're too generous, sir!

Doug
Methinks I gave up any rights to a patent when I decided to post this as free advice on an open forum, no?

If I WANTED to patent any of these tools, I’d have to delete my sticky’s
(Which I won’t do).

I could never make back what I put into them without pricing them pretty high.

So ya- I guess they’re my gift to y’all.

Merry Christmas!

DrG
Old 12-18-2018, 06:46 PM
labratt104
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
DrG,

Merry Christmas to you and yours! You, sir, are one of the Gems that makes RFC the best little corner of the 'net.

Dan
Old 03-09-2019, 04:45 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Resurrecting the modular threaded doodad puller

In trying to find a solution for a member having difficulty fitting a brush puller through the ejection port of a Buckmark pistol, I fabricated another female threaded jag/brush puller. This is an older design that I tend to use for bolt actions only, as the threaded ferrule pictured below adds length to the tool, with the brush threads adding more. When I fabricate my brushsnake, I cut off about 1/3 of the threads on an Otis pistol brush, drill out the center for the trimmer line, then shape, polish and affix trimmer line. That design is able to fit in my 10-22 clones, and (just barely) fits in my semi auto pistols. I’ve tested it on a S&W 622, Ruger SR22, Sig Trailside, Buckmark Contour URX, and Ruger MK III. I made a kit for a member who has a Buckmark that my brush will not fit- his manual says he should NOT disassemble his pistol for cleaning. (Mine has no such warning, but mine has a Weaver rail that runs the length of the pistol, providing a structural bridge that attaches the barrel firmly to the grip frame via a post at the rear of the frame- that same post prevents me from cleaning mine with a rod and brush through the breech- I would have to remove the barrel from the frame for that... which I don’t recommend.

I have made these in the distant past and member hd09 posted pics of one he made earlier in this thread- there are pics on page 4, post #59:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...7&postcount=56

As I said- I have made these before, but I decided against making it a permanent part of the kit because I specifically made my brush pullers to be as short as possible to allow me to clean semi auto rifles and pistols without disassembly. That said, once the brush is worn out, that tool is basically useless. This device would allow you to swap between jag & brushes, but may not fit in the tighter spaces, non-semi auto firearms. In those firearms that the “modular”- replaceable design WOULD fit, so likely would a rod and brush which is my preferred method of cleaning.
Of all of the components that I make, these also happen to be the most labor-intensive but also the least expensive.

Here are pics of the finished product. Creating it is simply a matter of cutting a 1” blank from brass rod stock, drilling and tapping one end to 8-32, drilling the other end for the trimmer line, then shorten, shape, and taper grind it, polish it & affix trimmer line. Instructions on how to do each of the steps listed above has already been covered in detail throughout this thread, mostly on the first 3-4 pages of posts.

DrGunner
Old 03-09-2019, 05:07 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (232)
Very nice! Great solution with that tapered nose ferrule.

Doug