Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:04 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Installing VQ Firefly Bolt

I just installed a Volquartsen Firefly Bolt in my 10/22. It was so difficult I was about to return it. As I was coming to that conclusion, I finally figured out the secret! The bolt ships with no documentation. No real information on installation exists on the Volquartsen website. Surprisingly, I couldn't even find a YouTube video showing installation. I actually found no explicit information anywhere. It is difficult to describe with words, so I made up a diagram. I think this will be very useful to anyone trying to install the Volquartsen Firefly!

Before starting, you must unscrew the screw-in cocking handle that comes installed in the bolt. Put some cloth around it to prevent marring, then grip it tightly with pliers and turn counterclockwise. The flat end of the guide rod will impact the inside of the receiver tightly, so the trick is to slowly work it forward until you can get the pointy end in. Make sure you get the pointy end into it's socket, as is mentioned on the drawing. Once in, you can screw the bolt handle back in.

Originally posted by member MikeInVirginia

DrGunner

Last edited by DrGunner; 08-30-2018 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:45 PM
ShakeyHand

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I do it the other way around - I tilt the point of the guide rod down into its receptacle while the bolt is tilted upward. I then press the bolt downward and to the rear, compressing the recoil spring on the guide rod until the bolt is all the way to the back of the receiver. Once there, the bolt will clear the guide rail below the ejection port and can be rotated downward and released forward to its normal position. Finally, I screw the charging handle in.

This is fairly easy for me but the hard part is inserting the guide rod and spring under tension into the bolt and then holding them together while I insert the pointed end of the guide rod down into the receptacle. I place my finger over the pointed end of the guide rod while performing this operation and the recoil spring drives the pointed end into my finger. I may start wearing a glove or use a guard to keep it from sticking into my finger so much.

The Firefly bolt works great once you install it. It cycles CCI quiet ammo (720 fps) perfectly.

Last edited by ShakeyHand; 08-21-2018 at 12:01 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 08-29-2018, 11:16 PM
Jasper_Wylde

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Dr. Gunner and Shakeyhand for the tips on the Firefly install!

Prior to this post I had read several accounts of installs and installs that went badly. I received my VQ firefly in the mail yesterday.

After removing it from the package I could see how it could be frustrating trying to figure out how to install the thing without any instructions. For the price, Volquartsen could at the very least provide some instructions on their website. I wonder if there is some legal reasoning behind not providing instruction?
I had heard that the handle was removable. If I hadn't read that I could easily understand how one could think that it's staked permanently in place. Mine was tough. I tried cloth and couldn't get a good enough grip. I then wrapped the handle in about an 1/8th of an inch of masking tape and that gave the pliers the much needed grip to easily loosen the bolt handle. No marring!

Prior to install I took a look at the guide rod itself and it looked to have some semi rough machining marks that were oxidizing. A took some gun oil and a thin strip of scotchbrite and gave it a few good strokes and that cleaned it up and smoothed the surface.

I tried Shakeyhands method of first inserting the pointed end of the bolt guide rod into the receptacle and then pulled the bolt back toward the back of the receiver and pivoted the bolt and rod down into place. With fiddling... it took at the most - 10 seconds.
It was so easy in fact that for a split second I thought I must have done it wrong!

For kicks and giggles I set up a sand bag in an empty room and tried it out. Even in the enclosed space with CCI Quiets there was no need for hearing protection. I took it out in the morning and blew through 50 rounds and not any issues at all.

Anyhow, thanks once again for the diagram and instructions. It was a help for me and I'm sure it will be for many others.

Jasper

Last edited by Jasper_Wylde; 08-29-2018 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2018, 12:30 AM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper_Wylde View Post
Thanks Dr. Gunner and Shakeyhand for the tips on the Firefly install!

Jasper
I’ll say you’re welcome, BUT the info I posted was not mine... it was forwarded to me by RFC admin to be deservedly made into a sticky, but I never did get the RFC member’s name who created it. I have some other moderating business to attend to and I will bring this up and edit the OP to give credit where credit is due.

I agree, the OP did a great job on the diagram and instructions and should be recognized for it-

Respectfully,

DrGunner

Edit: OP was MikeInVirginia, added to OP above

Last edited by DrGunner; 08-30-2018 at 01:08 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:24 AM
Jasper_Wylde

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just saw MikeinVirginia's post a minute ago.

So, Thank You Mike!
Old 01-22-2019, 10:37 AM
crow-foot
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Firefly Bolt

I tried Drgunner's method and then Shakyhand's as well.
Shaky's way was very easy to install but after installing the trigger group the bolt binds and will not move freely.
I was sure to place the bolt in as far as possible.
Any Answers??
Old 01-22-2019, 10:57 AM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crow-foot View Post
I tried Drgunner's method and then Shakyhand's as well.
Shaky's way was very easy to install but after installing the trigger group the bolt binds and will not move freely.
I was sure to place the bolt in as far as possible.
Any Answers??

Just for clarity- I did not create or post that tutorial diagram. It was sent to me by member MikeInVirginia...

Which TG are you using?

Are you certain the ejector on the TG is not flipped back and binding on the bolt?

Other than those, I have no answers.

DrGunner
Old 01-22-2019, 12:06 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeyHand View Post
I place my finger over the pointed end of the guide rod while performing this operation and the recoil spring drives the pointed end into my finger. I may start wearing a glove or use a guard to keep it from sticking into my finger so much.
It seems to me that the sides of the pointed cone are what should be seating the rod in the pocket. So couldn't you take a dremel and knock the sharp point off the cone so it doesn't dig into your finger so bad? Seems easier than wearing gloves or making a guard.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:34 AM
crow-foot
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Firefly Bolt

Thanks for the reply Gunner.
I have a VQ TG 2000 in this one and the trigger is installed properly.
When I reinstall the Ruger trigger I have the same problem.
I'm wondering if putting the bolt in from the rear first isn't the problem.
This is my grandson's and I have a VQ Superlite. It has got to be the finest 22LR
I've ever fired.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:46 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crow-foot View Post
Thanks for the reply Gunner.
I have a VQ TG 2000 in this one and the trigger is installed properly.
When I reinstall the Ruger trigger I have the same problem.
I'm wondering if putting the bolt in from the rear first isn't the problem.
This is my grandson's and I have a VQ Superlite. It has got to be the finest 22LR
I've ever fired.
I honestly donít know. My experience with 10-22s is considerable, but Iíve never owned or installed a VQ Firefly. Every other bolt and charging handle Iíve used MUST go in flat, with the CH/spring assembly compressed through the ejection port.
But- VQ uses a different style charging handle that doesnít slot into the top of the bolt. Iíd have to have hands on one to opine.

Have you tried emailing Scott at Volquartsen?

Theyíve always been extremely helpful to me.

DrGunner
Old 02-02-2019, 05:50 PM
dtp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have one of these bolts and they work. But CCI is going to make it obsolete with their new 45gr Quiets. I'm looking forward to see if they deliver letting me shoot super quiet with buckmarks and victories/other pistols.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:14 PM
glemigh

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Firefly charging handle removal

After some trouble I emailed Volquartsen, seems the hole in the handle end is a 1/8 allen screw.

Using that it comes off easy.

Posting for future reference in the event someone does not know.

George