Marlin Bolt Action Trigger Modification Reference - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:35 AM
thezen
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob4BVM View Post
I used the valve core spring in my G25 rebuild a few years ago. Worked great with a bit of polishing & lube it is very smooth and consistent around 2#. Huge improvement over stock.
You want the LONG valve core not the short ones.
Spring is SS, so no rust either.

Go here and skip down to post #7 to see trigger pix. :

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=388523

Cheers
Bob
For anybody wanting to use the valve core spring, I found a bunch on Ebay. Worked great.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:30 PM
steamloco76
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
X

I have three Marlin Rimfire bolt actions, a 1996 880SQ, 1998 882SS .22 Magnum and a 2000 81TS. The 880SQ had trigger work done on it by the original owner. Clipped coils off the return spring and some sear work. Pull was a slightly creepy 4.5 lbs. I decided to install a Rifle Basix trigger and now have a super crisp, creep free 2lb 10oz trigger which passes all safety tests.

Inspired to correct the 7 lb 12 oz trigger on the 882 and the even worse 8lb 5oz one on the 81TS, I re-read this entire thread and went to work on the 81TS. Using a slightly different PaperMate spring for the trigger and several coils from a generic pen spring around the original sear spring got the pull down to around 6lbs.

The 882 needed a good bit of work on the trigger and sear support to make it smooth. I also polished the sear surfaces with a ceramic rod. PaparMate trigger spring again, however I decided to clip the original trigger spring and put about four coils of it around the sear spring. A pleasing, fairly crisp 3lb 5-8 oz pull average shows on my Lyman digital pull gage. I can live with that.

I decided the 81TS needed additional work, so back apart it came. The inside of the trigger support on this one was extremely rough and very tight. Not sure how I missed this on the first try. A good deal of oil sanding on the post and sides of the trigger really improved the fit. Next was ceramic rod facing the sear surfaces and finally, I used a bit more spring around the sear spring. This rifle is still not where I want it. 4 lbs 10 oz on average. Looking at the sear engagement, the trigger sear is riding way too deep on the bolt sear face. A case of too much bearing surface. Now it's either pony up $90 for a Rifle Basix unit or try my hand at expoy mounting shims to the trigger sides to get proper engagement.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:56 AM
steamloco76
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Third time is the charm for the 81TS trigger. I used the original trigger from my 880SQ (its sear surface is noticeably shorter than the 81s), stoned its face and sear surface true and smooth with a brand new ceramic stone. Examing the trigger and hammer engagement faces of the sear with a 6X loupe revealed rough, uneven surfaces on both. More work with the stone until everything was smooth and square, time to reassemble and test. Voila! Feels great and averages just under 3lbs on the digital trigger gauge. All the creep is gone too.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:04 PM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I did the Mcarbo kit $20 shipped. Reduced the trigger pull on my 25N by 50% or more.