Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:43 PM
rldarmstr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anybody shoot vintage silhouette?

Not sure I am using the correct wording but what I mean is silhouette shooting using .22 caliber Winchester low wall, Sharps, Rolling block, or Stevens single shot rifles over cross sticks?

I'd like to get into that but am clueless on equipment and where to get rifles, other than old originals.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:48 PM
STRUGL4X'SC

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Long range single shot silhouette, a range that I visit shoots it, but I don't have a rifle that fits

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2017, 10:08 PM
Cstar
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
There are reproduction low wall and 44 1/2 out there so you don't have to look for an original.

Check out CPA Rifles and the Browning and Winchester Low Walls.

Corky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2017, 10:52 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rldarmstr View Post
Not sure I am using the correct wording but what I mean is silhouette shooting using .22 caliber Winchester low wall, Sharps, Rolling block, or Stevens single shot rifles over cross sticks?

I'd like to get into that but am clueless on equipment and where to get rifles, other than old originals.
Our club in Yuma has a weekly match. Rifles are readily available new from your dealer or used on Gunbroker, etc. Bring money. The match is just a scaled-down version of BPCR silhouette.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:02 AM
Pat McCoy
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The ASSRA forums (http://assra.com/index.htm) sometimes have some on the For Sale section.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:46 AM
rldarmstr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks guys. I suppose I stated my case a little naively. I am aware of the Browning low wall and Winchester low wall .22's and since I shoot BPCR with the big guns I am familiar with CPA And the C. Sharps companies and their offerings.

The guns I see at these matches (I've only been to one match as a spectator) have heavier than normal barrels and the stocks are, in many cases, a shotgun butt as opposed to a crescent butt. They all had scopes. I'm also aware of the prices associated with CPA and C Sharps when we start adding in extras or custom features. My first car didn't cost as much!

Then if I ad in a scope.....well I'm sure you all know how expensive it can get.

To be more specific on my questions:

Will a Browning or Winchester low wall with sporting barrel be good enough?

Do I need to replace the sporting barrel with a larger, more stable, target barrel?

The crescent butt on the contemporary rifles would seem to be inappropriate for a prone, over sticks shooting position; will I need to have the gun restocked with a more target shooting friendly butt?

Does anyone have experience with the vintage type scopes that are used in these matches? Pros/cons?

Are there limits on types of .22 ammunition; ie, sub-sonic or HV?

Regards,

Robert
Old 02-03-2019, 01:00 AM
watchthewind
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
It is a fun course of fire. You may want to check these out

http://www.22bpcra.com

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4905...epa=SEARCH_BOX

Take Care,
Scott
Old 02-03-2019, 12:22 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rldarmstr View Post
T since I shoot BPCR with the big guns I am familiar with CPA And the C. Sharps companies and their offerings.

Regards,

Robert
Why not just buy the .22 rimfire conversion kit for one of your buffalo guns, they go in and out very easily and dont cost all that much, that way you can shoot the same gun in both disciplines.