Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:18 PM
Hickok22
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Current production M1907 sling

Anybody have experience with current production military M1907 slings? I know theyíre unfinished, but is the quality good?
Old 01-21-2019, 07:09 PM
no4mk1t
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
USGI slings are good, not the best, but good. I've got several and competed in High Power with them for years. Turner Saddlery slings are better, but pricier. Look for blems on their website if you want a sling to use, rather than look at.

The sling will be stiff right out of the package. Work the leather to get it flexible. If you don't like the light color, get some neatsfoot oil and apply to the sling sparingly. It will darken the leather like in the photo.

If you are going to use the sling as a shooting aid, forget what you've seen in the old Army manuals. Rig it this way. This is how the USMC shooting team rigs their slings. It has the advantage of staying tight and not sliding down your arm. Holler if you need more detailed instructions.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:22 PM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickok22 View Post
Anybody have experience with current production military M1907 slings?
Where are you getting these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2019, 08:41 PM
Hickok22
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no4mk1t View Post
USGI slings are good, not the best, but good. I've got several and competed in High Power with them for years. Turner Saddlery slings are better, but pricier. Look for blems on their website if you want a sling to use, rather than look at.

The sling will be stiff right out of the package. Work the leather to get it flexible. If you don't like the light color, get some neatsfoot oil and apply to the sling sparingly. It will darken the leather like in the photo.

If you are going to use the sling as a shooting aid, forget what you've seen in the old Army manuals. Rig it this way. This is how the USMC shooting team rigs their slings. It has the advantage of staying tight and not sliding down your arm. Holler if you need more detailed instructions.

Thanks for the info. I think Iíll go on and order one.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:51 PM
Hickok22
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
Where are you getting these?

Search eBay for item # 191941353701. $65 shipped.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:57 PM
no4mk1t

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You can get a Turner blem for $53.95 and it's a better sling.

https://turnersling.com/nm-sling-seconds/
Old 01-21-2019, 09:49 PM
Hickok22
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
You can get a Turner blem for $53.95 and it's a better sling.

https://turnersling.com/nm-sling-seconds/

Looking over Turners site again Iím leaning toward them. Can you recommend a length for a Winchester 52c?
Old 01-21-2019, 09:56 PM
lathoto

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Turner Sling +1

These are the best. Call down there and they will help you get the right length with a few questions.

https://turnersling.com/
Old 01-22-2019, 06:54 AM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickok22 View Post
Search eBay for item # 191941353701. $65 shipped.
Thanks.

My concern with those would be that the ad says they are new, but not that they are current production.

Should one be concerned with dry rot in an older piece of leather, or would it be designed to spend time on the shelf?
Old 01-22-2019, 05:24 PM
no4mk1t

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Thanks.

My concern with those would be that the ad says they are new, but not that they are current production.

Should one be concerned with dry rot in an older piece of leather, or would it be designed to spend time on the shelf?
I've bought maybe 8-10 USGI slings over the years. You used to find them new in the package for $20 at the gun shows. Never had a problem with any of them, even when the date on the sling was 7-8 years ago. Rub a little neatsfoot oil on them once a year or so and you're GTG.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:43 AM
navybowhunter
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My take on 1907 slings for competition.

If you are a collector, go for the USGI types. If you compete.....

Several brands to choose from. I have experience with a few.

The absolute best would be a John Weller sling ...if you are lucky enough to find one, I believe he has passed, and those are very hard to come by.

Next on the list would be a Les Tam. Again, tough to come by and a long wait.

Next would be a Ron Brown sling or an Eric Hollis Sling. Both are phenomenal. Ron Brown slings are what I have been using. Eric Hollis is a personal friend and my next sling will be one of his. He has been making quite a name for himself in the High Power Rifle (Match and Service) circles the past 2 years.

Turner...

The LEATHER Turners are fine.

I only have experience with the Turner Biothanes. Those are not worth it to me, and I have since donated all of my Turner slings to junior teams.

They are THIN and also have a perceived stretch to them. They just feel like a rubber band to me. They have not slipped on me....but the thin strap when compared to say a Ron Brown....is a night and day difference.

When slung up with a Ron Brown I know it will not slip or stretch at all.

Many are still competing with the good old GI Web sling as well. Nothing wrong with that, but for 1907's the one's that are winning matches are using a Weller, Les Tam, Ron Brown or Eric Hollis sling.

R/
Chris
Old 01-23-2019, 03:23 PM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
You used to find them new in the package for $20 at the gun shows.
I recall those days too. That's what gives me pause about paying $70 for one now. Even if it's a fine value, it's hard to get beyond the idea that they were once less.

Navybowhunter, I looked at the Ron Brown slings. They look great and are not overpriced compared to their competition.

Has anyone used a Magpul RLS? Not to ruffle any feathers, but for $20, it appears to do what a 1907 does but with a plastic keeper rather than leather.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:25 AM
Mike Clark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Has anyone used a Magpul RLS? Not to ruffle any feathers, but for $20, it appears to do what a 1907 does but with a plastic keeper rather than leather.
I don't know it that is legal in service rifle. So that would be an issue if one wants to use for that. then there are the frogs.

Probably the most critical part of 1907 sling to get it to function are the keepers. A bad keeper can be a pain.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:36 AM
navybowhunter
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I recall those days too. That's what gives me pause about paying $70 for one now. Even if it's a fine value, it's hard to get beyond the idea that they were once less.

Navybowhunter, I looked at the Ron Brown slings. They look great and are not overpriced compared to their competition.

No experience with the MAGPUL, and as Mike stated the plastic may be an issue with the rules, and more importantly slipping. Keepers are typically something we replace every 2 years or so....as that will cause (dependent on how you configure it) the sling to slip.

Boiling the keepers some say brings them back to life, I have not tried that yet.

Another plug for Ron Brown.....if you call them, he will personalize the sling for you. I am retired Navy and he embossed the sling with the USN emblem and a Chief's anchor.....also went with brass frogs/hooks and on my keepers they are also embossed/stamped with USN. He typically will also throw in a key tag as well.

I have never heard a complaint from anyone that uses a Ron Brown.....Turner Biothane however....I have heard lots of complaints.

Configuration of the sling is personal preference as well. I used to rig mine the USMC way, but have changed to a no pulse config. Jim Owens sells a no pulse sling config.....but it is a bit awkward for my liking.

What I do is I take the short strap and push the 2 keepers onto that, then hook the frong end thru the D ring....I then apply the short strap to my arm....and hook it to itself (if that makes sense), it is somewhat like a match sling setup. It leaves a bit of a loop of material, but that does not bother me any. Then the long strap passes over the loop on my arm and thru the two keepers. In other words the 2 keepers do nothing except keep the sling attached to the short strap on my arm. I then pass the long strap thru the swivel and connect the other end. Piece of cake and I can have my sling on my arm at the Ready line.....and it is also legal.

It significantly reduced my pulse, as the long strap is not part of the torniquet on my arm.

It is impossible with that configuration to attach the sling at both points on the rifle for standing, so for standing I have a web sling that I attach. After standing I remove web sling and apply the leather one to my arm.

R/
Chris
Old 01-24-2019, 03:51 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Ron Brown slings are very good.

I have used the Magpul RLS sling. It actually works quite well as a loop sling and the plastic keeper keeps the loop very secure. I have no idea if it would be legal for High Power competition.

The one problem with the Mapul RLS is that there is no quick and easy way to adjust the distance of the loop from the forward sling anchor point if you need to make a length adjustment going from sitting to prone.