Quiet and Accurate Air Rifle/Pistol for Backyard Shooting - Page 13 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Sir Ville
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Hereīs my solution to cat problems around here: HW 97K Black Line Stainless in cal. 20. Vortek PG2 and it shoots 11.4 gr H&N FTT at 830+ fps. Headshots at 50 yrds takes care of any irritating feline.. Targets shot at 35m (approx. 40 ft) and the coin is under 3/4 inch in diam./10 shots each target.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:56 AM
osbod007

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
35m is 38yds. Nice shooting.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:23 PM
Southpawstag

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I use a Gamo Whisper in.177 cal with the gas ram conversion. It is very quiet. You don't realize it while shooting it, but let someone else shoot it and walk off a ways to the side and you will really hear a difference. I can shoot in my backyard and the dog next door doesn't even hear it.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:29 PM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aom22 View Post
And, YES ... I, finally, made another decision.
Probably the best decision ... so far - I think.

I came across a Lightning XL in .22 caliber.
Nothing special ... you're thinking.
BSA Lightning XL, .22 Caliber, Theoben Gas Strut Conversion, Factory Walnut Stock

But, this particular XL came with a factory walnut.
The trigger has been professionally tuned.
And, most surprising of all ... a Theoben gas strut conversion has been performed
by Mr. David Slade of Airgunwerk.
How is this for pure luck!!!

The gas strut should be a 12-fpe unit.
According to Airgunwerks, all the gas strut conversions are 12-fpe units.
This is less power than the factory metallic spring produces ... 14-fpe, 665-fps.

And, if you have a closer look at the first photo ... you'll note the original factory spring - upper right end.
I can revert to a metallic spring - if I so chose.
In a way, I can have my British walnut cake ... and, eat it - too.

However, for my purposes ... a U.K. spec Lightning will work-out just fine.
My backyard encompasses a perimeter that allows for a longest-shot of less than 25-yards.
Within the confines of my property, a 12-fpe .22 will be almost perfect for humanly dispatching
eurasian dove, grackles and the occasional pigeon.

Reference: My BSA Lightning XL, .22 Caliber, Factory Walnut Stock, Theoben Gas Strut Conversion
Sweet rifle those, the Englis made Webleys are superb guns. I wish I had been smart enough to make up my mind and buy one of the last shipments when advertised by Pyramyd Air. I did manage to get a Webley Tomahawk .177 though. Standard metal spring though, no gas strut.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:38 AM
Southpawstag

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
If you want accurate and quiet I'd suggest the Gamo Whisper series. A lot of people talk down these air rifles and I have no Idea why. Many people think that because it appears loud to the shooter, let someone else shoot it and stand 15 feet or so away and you hear a major difference. Getting one with the gas piston takes the twang out of it also. I had a RWS 34 that did not shoot as well as my CFX. Gamo has also recently improved their triggers. Gateway To Airguns is a great site for tons of info.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:12 PM
mike58
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got a Stoeger x10 this week, not to pricey at 135 & fairly quiet, my son I set up a steel backstop & commenced to punching holes in paper, I was surprised by the accuracy & the power has me looking for another steel plate to back it up with, we thought it was pretty quiet too, all in all I say Stoeger airgun fits my backyard needs.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:01 PM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
392 for backyard

Just posting a plug for Pyramid Air and the Crosman 392 in .22 cal. I ordered one a while ago and got the 10 for $10 deal as well. It is a fine air rifle and the variable pump feature allows for some really close and quiet work. Besides that, mine is a very accurate air rifle: today, at the range shooting at 25 yards, it consistently shot 3/4" groups using H&N pellets and the stock open sights. This is with 6-7 pumps. It takes a bit of muscle to shoot groups of five at 6-7 pumps each but not something an adult would have a problem doing. I have had .22 rifles that would not shoot 3/4" groups at 25 yards. I have read that the 397 in .177 cal is even more accurate.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:43 PM
supersharp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a daystate Airwolf 22 caliber with a huggett shroud the combination is both super accurate and super quiet I shoot this regularly at 50 yards in the backyard this combo would also be quite effective for small game hunting20160511_110555.jpg

20160511_110640.jpg
Old 06-14-2016, 02:58 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alum572 View Post
It takes a bit of muscle to shoot groups of five at 6-7 pumps each but not something an adult would have a problem doing.
I thought you were a geezer. Didja find the fountain of youth?
Old 05-04-2017, 01:25 AM
birdmove

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Go to the Crosman Custom Shop, and order a 2400KT with carbine stock. Maybe a 15" barrel. Order a TKO muzzle brake for same. If needed, order scope and rings/mounts of your choice. Go through the usual process of finding the best pellet. Sight it in at the distance you want. Be ready for some super quiet stealth shooting. This set up is my choice for after dark rat shooting when the little buggers go into our chicken coop to eat chicken food. I think the 2400KT will run you about $80.00 plis shipping. Don't forget some 12 gram CO2 canisters. Mine likes the Crosman poinyed Hunter pellets very much.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:43 PM
Kapew

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a .22 cal Hatsun AT-44 QE with a factory suppressor I bet I could shoot in my tiny yard.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:45 PM
Kapew

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a .22 cal Hatsun AT-44 QE with a factory suppressor I bet I could shoot in my tiny yard.

At deer camp we were shooting yellow jacket wasp at 20 yards. It is very accurate. Iím gonna bludgeon a wild turkey this season with it if I can.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:55 PM
SOUTHERN S/PAW

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe View Post
Geez I'd sure hope so since I musta killed about a thousand of 'em with my trusty Red Ryder when I was a kid.
Oddly enough The Red Ryder was my first and now as I turn 74 it's my go to fun gun I still have my first the last one given me by Fred Harman III, son of the Fred Harman the artist and painter as well as the creator of the Red Ryder comic strip
Fred harman III unfortunately passed last year. the original Rifle languished in a barn for years I rescued it and should have taken better care of it. I've refurbished it's inner's and it shoot lots "harder " than the new ones, but it still is accurate if I do my part.

SS