Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-09-2017, 03:34 PM
Old Sensei

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
re: questionable origin of scopes

This thread was very informative and I thank all that contributed. My wife has always wanted a 1928 thompson and I bought it at Xmas. It will probably actually be her hands this Xmas! I did some research and bought a West Hurley model which was the cheapest of these expensive items. The good news is that she shot it at the dealer's range and it does work.

The bad news is that if I had done an extra bit of research, I would have bought a Savage or Colt. I was a "tad" naive about thompsons. I "thought" that if someone bought the patent rights and it was manufactured in America it would be okay. It seems West Hurley made these guns with original GI parts "when they were available." If they weren't, some mom and pop place, would make them. In addition, you can't tell by serial number. The frame is made out of softer steel (actually not a problem) because it is easier (cheaper) to cut.

Two of the parts are different dimensions. The metal tab that the fore grip attaches too is wider and even if you have a GI parts kit to switch it, the barrel has to be removed. This is almost impossible without special tools. The magazine catch is in a different position so a new hole has to be punched in a GI magazine. Magazines made by West Hurley fit, but of course, they are out of business.

The point of the above is that it serves to remind us, like the original post, that any addition information about products can only help us make a decision.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:53 AM
janejskelton

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you so much "aom22" for your nice thread.
This thread was so much information for me and I thank all that contributors.
I'm sure your thread and all are the replies are also very helpful for newcomers and others. Because here I find so many new information which I didn't know before reading your thread.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:56 PM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Been seeing lots of Leupold counterfeit scopes on Ebay. There are several different models. I ran the upc codes and they came up authentic but since they are coming in from China pretty sure they are fake. Feedback confirms they are fake. When buying on Ebay be sure to run the upc code. If there is none do not buy unless you know you are dealing with a reputable seller. If they advertise a upc code and the item does not have that code it is a fake and Ebay will help as the item was misrepresented. Just type in the number on Google and the item will come up. If that number doesn't show the item you are looking at BEWARE!
Old 04-13-2018, 06:00 PM
KrautBurner
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.r. guerra in s. texas View Post
What you say is true, but are these Chinese clones actually telling the consumer they are in fact Chinese manufactured clones? Or are they simply doing everything they can to appear as if they were an actual Leupold product. If the consumer does not know these copies exist (and I didn't - Thanks AOM22!), then the consumer is being ripped off.
they are labeled to replicate the genuine item very well

Quote:
Originally Posted by aom22 View Post

A certified gun nut (such as yourself - me included) should be able to detect a counterfeit item when they examine it.
However, Newbies ... are another story. .
I just picked up a Leupold LCO (knock off)
took it into a local gun shop that has LCO's in stock
we looked at them side by side, and they are very hard to tell the difference
all markings are the same (including the "Designed*Machined*Assembled in USA" )
the red dot is brighter in the LEUPOLD, and the button feels a little different (noted by the gun dealer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsimpson12384 View Post
Well, to my knowledge, most of the Chinese rip-offs say "Made in China" on them. If you can't determine which one is real by that then you are on crack.
nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan308 View Post
when I was producing my product, I checked on the import and export laws. If it's made in china, it MUST be marked as such somewhere on the box or the unit. According to the information I got it can't leave China unless it is marked. The Chinese are getting better at reverse engineering.
the one I just got did not say MADE IN CHINA anywhere on the item, paperwork in the box, outside of the box, or packaging

but, the package was definitely shipped from China

I purchased this optic for about $45
I have no doubt that it is not an actual LEUPOLD LCO ($900 optic)
and nobody who is buying a $50 optic is being stolen from Leupold's customer base

the problem I see is if someone were to try to sell one of these for several hundred dollars, and the purchaser is expecting LEUPOLD to stand behind it

someone posted that if you contact LEUPOLD and give them the Serial Number, they can verify
I have 4 friends that all ordered these knock off sights, they all have the same serial number

Last edited by KrautBurner; 04-13-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:38 PM
ShooterJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrautBurner View Post
they are labeled to replicate the genuine item very well

I just picked up a Leupold LCO (knock off)
took it into a local gun shop that has LCO's in stock
we looked at them side by side, and they are very hard to tell the difference
all markings are the same (including the "Designed*Machined*Assembled in USA" )
the red dot is brighter in the LEUPOLD, and the button feels a little different (noted by the gun dealer)

nope

the one I just got did not say MADE IN CHINA anywhere on the item, paperwork in the box, outside of the box, or packaging

but, the package was definitely shipped from China

I purchased this optic for about $45
I have no doubt that it is not an actual LEUPOLD LCO ($900 optic)
and nobody who is buying a $50 optic is being stolen from Leupold's customer base

the problem I see is if someone were to try to sell one of these for several hundred dollars, and the purchaser is expecting LEUPOLD to stand behind it

someone posted that if you contact LEUPOLD and give them the Serial Number, they can verify
I have 4 friends that all ordered these knock off sights, they all have the same serial number
So you are like the guy that goes to the bar with the $20.00 fake rolex watch showing it off.

Sporting fake Leupolds at the range so people think you have a 900.00 optic. You are supporting the fake optic industry by buying them which in turn hurts the real company Leupolds reputation.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:27 PM
KrautBurner
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterJ View Post
So you are like the guy that goes to the bar with the $20.00 fake rolex watch showing it off.

Sporting fake Leupolds at the range so people think you have a 900.00 optic. You are supporting the fake optic industry by buying them which in turn hurts the real company Leupolds reputation.

no, not at all,
actually, I just wanted a cheap red dot for my carbine
(I only mounted it to my pistol to take a pic)

I could care less if it said Leupold, in fact, I was thinking about going over it with black so it's not so bold

anyone who knows me, knows I'd never put a $900 optic on a $200 gun

I guess I am supporting the crapy optic industry,
but it has no affect on Leupold (I'd not be purchasing one of these anyways)

if I were looking for a quality optic, I'm more of a Vortex Venom level buyer
especially for this pistol

like I said earlier,
my big concern would be in the used market, when some buyers may not know what to look for, or know to contact the manufacturer to verify the serial no.
it would suck to think you're getting a quality product for a steal, only to realize way down the road that you paid 4x the retail for a knockoff