Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:43 PM
SmallBoreBuyer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marlin Model 18 Questions

Hello All,

I am wondering if people know about the range of factory No. 18 configurations. I have come across an example that appears to have a factory-installed, non-removeable tang screw for the stock/action interface. So far, I have only seen the “take-down” version. Any insights?

Also, are new (undamaged) copies of the screws in the second picture available?

TIA
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Marlin18 1.jpeg (50.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpeg Marlin18 2.jpeg (82.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 05-05-2017, 05:17 PM
SmallBoreBuyer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Found another one like this online - looks like there are at least two factory configurations.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:24 AM
kaynine
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Not so sure that I'd jump to the conclusion that these mdl 18 rifles with non-knurled stock take-down screws were a "factory" variation. More likely, some previous owner/owners simply lost the original take-down screw/screws, which are not captured, and simply replaced them with a regular stock screw rather than procure an original replacement screw. After-all these rifles were made over 110 years ago and were probably taken down a lot during their long service lifes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2017, 01:14 PM
vepr762

TPC Rating: 
91% (10)
I have seen it both ways in old catalogs and you can also see this on page 439 of Brophy's book.

No rhyme or reason why this was done. Doesn't change the value either.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:20 PM
SmallBoreBuyer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaynine View Post
Not so sure that I'd jump to the conclusion that these mdl 18 rifles with non-knurled stock take-down screws were a "factory" variation. More likely, some previous owner/owners simply lost the original take-down screw/screws, which are not captured, and simply replaced them with a regular stock screw rather than procure an original replacement screw. After-all these rifles were made over 110 years ago and were probably taken down a lot during their long service lifes.
The screw appears to be a stock screw - the threaded portion is specific to this application. I am staying with my conclusion that it is a factory screw.

>EDIT< I see from the post above it was offered with a regular stock screw.

Last edited by SmallBoreBuyer; 05-06-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:49 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As vepr762 says, I was thinking they came both ways.....Pretty sure I've seen them both ways.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:34 PM
bobs1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marlin 18

Got a Model 18 - stock screw was slotted. Have a question about the barrel - this rifle has a 23" octagon barrel with the "correct" rollmark/dates (per Brophy's book), yet Brophy shows the rifle came only with a 20" barrel round and octagon. Just curious to determine is it original or replacement.

Thanks for any feed back.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:43 AM
Sav22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bobs1, Is the barrel stamped with a caliber? The 18's were not marked for caliber and only took 22 Short or 22 Long Rifle depending on which lifter they had installed.

My first thought is it's probably a replacement barrel from an early Model 20. I think the magazine tubes were different lengths so that would also have to be changed or there would be an extra mounting hole in the underside of the barrel. We need the input of someone with a very early Model 20 to see if the barrel stamps might be the same as on the 18's.

I saw a Model 18 with longer barrel for sale through a well established dealer of collector guns the he contended was original, but there was a plugged dovetail in the barrel near the muzzle that would have been for a full length magazine, so I think it was a Model 20 barrel.