Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:09 PM
snaxwell
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First 10/22 is a Heavy

I was at a local sporting goods place, and this rifle really stood out to me on the rack. It happened to be on sale for a good price, so I decided to bring it on home.
I threw on a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 I had sitting around from an AR-15 project.
I haven't had a chance to shoot it, yet. I am hoping to post some targets here as the rifle and I progress. A better scope is in the plan, and a friend of mine gave me a Volquartsen hammer kit. I plan to shoot it totally stock first, though.

I have learned a lot from this forum, and I would like to try some aluminum tape bedding, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0298.jpg (535.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0299.jpg (545.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 09-11-2018, 09:14 PM
WPWarhawk
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to WPWarhawk
I have one that looks just like it. I put a Nikon 4.5-14x scope and a Brimstone tuned BX trigger in mine. It’s a shooter, I took it to the range for the first time today. I made a thread earlier, with pics of the groups at 25 yards.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:14 PM
GlockPride

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congrats and welcome to the club. Looks nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2018, 09:38 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Lol, I notice you posted ‘first 10/22’.
I started with just one too not long ago, then something happened......
Check the barrel v-block mounting screws for even torque (10-12 IN #) and about the same for the single barreled action mount screw, clean the bore and break it in.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:07 PM
snaxwell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the warm welcome!

And thanks for the heads up on the v-block screws! I'll check those.

What do you guys think about the scope base that comes with the rifle? I am thinking about swapping it out with a picatinny rail.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:58 PM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks real good.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:30 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaxwell View Post
I was at a local sporting goods place, and this rifle really stood out to me on the rack. It happened to be on sale for a good price, so I decided to bring it on home.
I threw on a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 I had sitting around from an AR-15 project.
I haven't had a chance to shoot it, yet. I am hoping to post some targets here as the rifle and I progress. A better scope is in the plan, and a friend of mine gave me a Volquartsen hammer kit. I plan to shoot it totally stock first, though.

I have learned a lot from this forum, and I would like to try some aluminum tape bedding, too.
Welcome to SS Heavy
If your planning on doing much bench / target shooting then more scope will help a lot. I have done the aluminum tape bedding on a few, and had very good results on all of them. If you haven't seen the sticky, here is a link. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=462480 A support pad can also help accuracy, when you have gone as far as you can, but still looking for more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaxwell View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome

And thanks for the heads up on the v-block screws! I'll check those.

What do you guys think about the scope base that comes with the rifle? I am thinking about swapping it out with a picatinny rail.
10-12 inch # is good for the v-block but a little to light for the takedown IMO. Most guys including myself use 18-20. I have gone as low as 15, and had good results on a given day, but it couldn't be repeated on another day when temps / humidity were not the same. Anything below 15 gets squirrely.
There is nothing wrong with the OEM base. I changed mine to a Kidd extended base, only because I changed scopes, and needed to move the scope forward to get my eye relief.
I had the blued version of your gun with the brown laminate stock. It has since gone through a barrel / stock change, and the original stock is now on a SuperStock build. They seem to multiply when your not looking.
Here you can see the Kidd extended base
Old 09-13-2018, 11:36 PM
snaxwell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's a sweet looking rifle!

Thanks for the information. I have noticed the higher magnification target scopes tend to have a pretty long tube. Looks like one of those extended bases will be needed in the near future.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:46 PM
snaxwell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, first outing with the heavy today. There were a couple changes to the rifle. I put a Hawke 3-9x40 off of one of my other rifles, mainly for the adjustable objective. Unfortunately, the scope bell touched the barrel with the factory Ruger mount. I had planned on swapping out this part down the road anyway. I looked at a few different options and ended up with an EGW picatinny rail mount. It worked out pretty well.

I must say, the gun shoots pretty good. I tried a few different types of ammo. It seemed to really like some Aguila standard velocity I had. I also had some CCI Standard and some SK Standard Plus. After sighting in the scope, I worked a little bit with a Sims De-Resonator.

I just couldn't get the SK to shoot well, which was a real letdown. My dad had a ProChrono setup and velocities were as low as 1030 to as high as 1105. I have shot this type of ammo before in bolt guns with great success. It was about 90 degrees out. Not sure if that had something to do with it?

CCI Standard shot pretty well, but I didn't have much on hand. I didn't get to tune the de-resonator much with it.

The Aguila Standard velocity shot very well, but there were a couple flyers from time to time. The chronograph was reporting 1050-1070 most of the time, with the occasional 1005 or something out in left field. I wonder if it would be worth weight sorting these cartridges?

Attached pictures show our home-made shooting bench and Caldwell Steady Rest NXT. It's pretty stable, but definitely no concrete bench and lead sled.
Also, my last target of the day. I had ran out of clean targets, and I was still testing the de-resonator. The top left scoring sighter is a five round group, and measures .430(.207 if you subtract one bullet diameter) I didn't think it could get any better than that, so I decided to shoot the whole card.
It's not spectacular, but I am pretty happy with it.

One thing is very apparent. It is time for a lighter trigger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0303_1537151878749.jpg (339.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0304_1537151901715.jpg (440.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0306_1537151926538.jpg (370.5 KB, 9 views)