Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:37 PM
vinco
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Mk I grip frame value?

Anybody have opinions on what a complete MK II grip frame should be worth? Also, what should I expect to pay for a MK II bolt assembly?
Old 07-20-2018, 07:43 PM
farscott

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Unfortunately it is easier and less expensive to buy a Mark II pistol than to purchase the complete lower. The least I ever paid for a complete Mark II lower and mainspring housing was $250, but I have purchased complete Mark II pistols for the same price or $50 more. The last bolt I purchased was $50, and that was the best deal I had seen in quite some time.

It is a much better deal to purchase a complete pistol.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:51 AM
vinco

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I snagged a MK ii grip frame on Gunbroker for $120 after shipping and CC fees the other day. I plan on mating it with my MK III 22/45 upper that's factory threaded, to use once my suppressor gets out of jail. I guess if I can find a deal on a bolt and a mainspring housing, then I'll have a complete, dedicated pistol to use suppressed. I'm a bit worried that if I start using the can, then none of my other guns will ever get shot again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2018, 01:19 AM
vinco

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Well, it turns out I was clicking instead of studying. What I actually bought was a Mark I grip frame. It has no LSHO, and the relief for the magazine button is on the right instead of the left, so none of my Mk II magazines will fit without modification. Kind of frustrating, but I got a very quick lesson in the differences between the Mark I and Mark II frames.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:28 AM
farscott

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Modifying the Mark II magazine to work with your Mark I frame is simple. Basically capture the spring to take tension off the follower and floor plate, and remove the floor plate, remove spring, follower, and magazine button. Then move magazine button to other side of magazine body and reassemble magazine.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:38 AM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinco View Post
I guess if I can find a deal on a bolt and a mainspring housing, then I'll have a complete, dedicated pistol to use suppressed.
That's the problem. A mainspring assembly is going to approximate the Volquartsen price of $70. The last time I saw a bolt for sale, it was $80 (from Duntov here). Suppose you'd gotten a MKII grip for $120 and you're at the price of a used MKII pistol.

This also sheds light on why you can buy a pistol receiver and barrel without sights for $50. They are the 10/22 barrels of the pistol world. Almost every Pac-lite and Volquartsen barrel purchased displaces a stock Ruger unit.

I sold Farscott an essentially new grip and magazines (everything but the barrel and bolt) recently. They aren't serialized parts, so I could send them USPS. I needed the barrel and bolt, but also incurred the FFL fee and the effort of selling it. We collectively scavenged an entire pistol for what we needed.

There are a few people who do that as a business with new arms (buy guns and sell them for parts). I think that is rarer for MKIIs.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:00 AM
farscott

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
That's the problem. A mainspring assembly is going to approximate the Volquartsen price of $70. The last time I saw a bolt for sale, it was $80 (from Duntov here). Suppose you'd gotten a MKII grip for $120 and you're at the price of a used MKII pistol.

This also sheds light on why you can buy a pistol receiver and barrel without sights for $50. They are the 10/22 barrels of the pistol world. Almost every Pac-lite and Volquartsen barrel purchased displaces a stock Ruger unit.

I sold Farscott an essentially new grip and magazines (everything but the barrel and bolt) recently. They aren't serialized parts, so I could send them USPS. I needed the barrel and bolt, but also incurred the FFL fee and the effort of selling it. We collectively scavenged an entire pistol for what we needed.

There are a few people who do that as a business with new arms (buy guns and sell them for parts). I think that is rarer for MKIIs.
To add on to the above, I combined the mainspring housing and frame that I purchased from zukiphile with a Volquartsen-modified Ruger Mark III target upper I bought from the clearance section of the Volquartsen web site and a Mark III bolt I bought elsewhere to assemble a complete pistol. I ended up paying considerably more than I could for a complete pistol.

I later bought a complete NIB Mark III Standard with the Volquartsen trigger, hammer bushing, and LCI delete insert for $250.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:18 AM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farscott View Post
I ended up paying considerably more than I could for a complete pistol.
Indeed. I ended up buying two pistols and a VQ kit to get what I was going for, but I knew that would be so going into this.

To summarize, there are three ways to get anything but an upper receiver for a MKII/MKIII:

1. Spend a lot of money with Volquartsen;
2. look for a re-seller to offer up the grip, mainspring assembly or bolt you need, and pay nearly as much as you would for an entire pistol (if you take this option, note whether the grip has a mainspring assembly or bolt since those are non-trivial expenses; or
3. get another pistol and resign yourself to having parts left over that will have negligible market value.

Last edited by zukiphile; 07-24-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:17 PM
vinco

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Yes, I'm learning quickly that this is not the cheap way to get a threaded Mark XXX pistol. A bargain here and a bargain there adds up pretty quickly to more than just buying a whole one.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:36 AM
vinco

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Well, I got lucky with a couple of purchases, and I'm therefore going to be able to have this franken-ruger complete and running for right at $360 all-in, minus optics. I'm trading for an older, used EOTech this morning locally, so I've got that covered too.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:01 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
With aftermarket prices for the bits and bobs being what they are, I think GB for a complete pistol is your best bet, then relist the parts you won't be using. I am surprised, given how much griping there was about the deficiencies of the Mk III that there aren't more of them for sale. Could it be that there was a wave of sales when the Mk IV came out and that now we are sort of back to the price of a pistol, being the price of a pistol -- if you know what I mean? I always thought that the biggest source of parts for the Mk III was from folks tearing them apart to upgrade them. Certainly the Mk III was worth less than the "sum of its parts," as folks who just need a mainspring housing just need a mainspring housing and are going to pay a premium for it. I know I did.

Last edited by flangster; 07-27-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:09 PM
farscott

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
As somewhat of a Ruger Standard-pattern hoarder (I have fourteen different complete guns ranging from the original RST-4 and RST-6 to one-off Volquartsen Scorpions and several uppers that are awaiting being built into guns), the Mark III is the best value in whole guns at the moment. Part of that is the LCI , part of that is the magazine safety, and part of that is the Mark IV introduction, but Mark III models languish unless they are priced at under $300.

My best deal so far on a Mark III is one a 2008 10104 that the owner bought, replaced the LCI with a Volquartsen part, added the Volquartsen trigger, added the Clark hammer bushing, and never fired the pistol. It cost me $257 OTD. It definitely sold for less than the sum of the parts.

Last edited by farscott; 07-27-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:55 AM
vinco

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quick update: I got back from vacation the other day and finally had time to sit down and try to fit my parts all together tonight. What ended up shaking out is that the inside concave surface of the upper (where the front lug from the lower fits in and grabs it) was poorly shaped from the factory, and the MK I lower would not mate up. I had tried the MK I lower on a couple of my older MK II uppers, and it had worked fine with them. Therefore, instead of filing on the front lug of the lower, I decided to work on relieving the upper to fit. It took about 600 strokes with a tiny little needle file to get it massaged enough for the upper and lower to go together, and then it finally went in VERY snugly with a few raps of a rubber mallet to send it home. I'm not sure I will take it back apart for a long time. The mainspring housing finally went into place properly and latched tight. The bolt is a MK III, cut for the LCI, so it doesn't act like the safety will catch the bolt to hold it back - oh well.

I had one single MK I magazine (chrome base), which had previously been converted to use in MK II, which I switched back, and it fits the frame just fine.

So all in all, I'm ready to go full boogie loud with it tomorrow, and I'm also now ready to go full boogie quiet with it as soon as my can gets out of jail (this month makes 6 months.)

BTW, the trigger is very good - I haven't measured it, but I'm guessing about 3 pounds with a quite clean break. I'm happy with it!

Last edited by vinco; 08-08-2018 at 12:58 AM.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:49 PM
farscott

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
For some reason, the older Standard and Mark I models have much better triggers than the Mark II and later models. My 1964 RST-6 has a stock trigger that is very close to the trigger in the Volquartsen Scorpions. It has a bit more over-travel due to the lack of a trigger stop, but the take up and break feel almost identical. Same with my 1961 RST-4 and my 1951 Mark I.

Last edited by farscott; 08-11-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:56 AM
vinco

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quick update: I had never actually fired this pistol until today, so what changed and made me go shoot it today? My stamp for my suppressor came through!!!

First magazine I loaded was 10 rounds of Eley SS HP ammo. It was SOOO SOOO quiet! But it simply didn't have enough umph to cycle the bolt, and it FTE and FTL 7 times out of 10. I thought about getting frustrated at that point, but I didn't.

I went back inside and broke out a box of Federal Lightnings, circa 1991, and loaded up a mag with 10 of them. Back outside, I chambered the first round, aimed, and squeezed the trigger. A little more POP than the subsonics, but still quite pleasant with no hearing protection, and SUCCESS! 10 rounds down the pipe in rapid succession, with no failures of any sort. Then I had to put it up and go to a meeting (Hello, I'm Vinco, and I'm addicted to singing Bass in a chorus.)