Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:13 PM
Dieseldude03
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I have been working with my "new" 20a for the last few weeks. It had an issue with not feeding the last cartridge in the magazine all the way into the receiver and jamming the lifter. Thankfully, the issue was resolved with a new magazine spring.

I had only run loaded cartridges through the mechanism (without firing them) to test for feeding and extraction issues and the rifle passed with flying colors with shorts and long rifles... effortlessly flinging the loaded cartridges several feet accross the patio.

Yesterday was the 1st time actually firing the gun, and I ran into a problem... when firing shorts, the extractor drags the case out of the chamber just fine, but then drops it into the receiver before the ejector can boot it out. It'll eject an unfired short every single time without question but it chokes on the stubby fired case nearly every time.

I have not tried long rifles in it yet, as I don't have any standard velocity loads in stock at the moment.

I'm fairly certain it's all a case length issue. It appears once the case mouth loses the support of the chamber, it just falls out of the extractor's grasp.

Anything I should be looking for? I don't have the rifle in front of me, but could the firing pin possibly be pushing the spent case off the bolt face before it reaches the ejector?

Last edited by Dieseldude03; 03-19-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:21 AM
borregos

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

Never tried shorts in mine, I think a trip to the range is in order
Old 03-20-2018, 06:14 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Did it eject spent brass ok before you put in a new magazine spring?

I would get my hands on some SV LR ammo and see if it has issues too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2018, 07:22 AM
borregos

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Had a quick range trip yesterday afternoon took the Marlin with me.
Sorry no help to you but shorts fed and ejected with no problem, they are a hoot to shoot out of that little pump
Old 03-26-2018, 11:12 PM
Dieseldude03

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So for whatever reason, I wasn't getting any email notifications of your replies. I apologize!

I do have an update though. I got some SV long rifles and some anemic longs (710fps) to run through the 20a. They all fed and ejected without issue. So I used some .22 short blanks to feed and extract through the mechanism nice and slow without the risk of shooting myself in the foot!

What I found is the ejector base that is held to the receiver wall was standing just a tick proud on the leading edge. With the stubby short casings, the mouth of the case would exit the chamber at the exact moment the case rim would lightly bump that proud ejector plate and pop right off the bolt face!

The loaded shorts and empty L, LR cases are long enough to still be supported by the chamber when the case rims would barely bump that plate and wouldn't be effected by it.

Upon removing the ejector assembly, I found the little leaf spring was not the proper design for the gun. It's leading edge (closest the chamber) is supposed to be squared-off next to the mounting hole (see pic). My spring was still rounded, causing the small tab under the ejector base to sit on top of it. This caused the leading edge of the ejector base to set proud the minute thickness of the leaf spring!

A quick zap of the round spring edge with my Dremmel got the spring squared off and the ejector base sitting flush with the inside of the receiver again.

Now Shorts, Longs and Long Rifles feed, fire and eject 100% of the time! Love easy fixes!
Attachment 147922

Last edited by Dieseldude03; 04-15-2018 at 09:38 PM.