Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-06-2020, 02:44 PM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I don't know what the brass is like for the 22 Hornet, but one of the biggest issues I've come across with reloading for my 17 Hornets, is the neck thickness of the brass, from Lot # to Lot # can have a significant variance in it.

I use all Redding bushing dies so keeping neck tension consistent and the same is no problem, as long as I keep my brass segregated by its neck thickness. For those using conventional FL dies, the varying neck thickness can cause you angst.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:54 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (241)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel1 View Post
22 hornet is a junk round. It must be shot with a compressed load to get it to shoot at all group wise.
I have played with 3 different hornets.
Browning, Winchester and one other, can’t remember,,, hmr would smoke all for groups at 100 yards, not even close.
All guns had factory ammo, various shot in them.
17 hmr savage dominated.

22 Hornets were laughable really for groups.
The truth.
I just came across this thread (and the post above) as I don't visit the Centerfire Rifle forum very often, having moved away from CF BR some years ago to .22LR. I was heavily into CF BR with numerous custom rifles and I reloaded for everything, including .22 Hornet and K-Hornet. With that background, I can say that the OP's post above, being so assertive seems to be a clear case of limited experience generating a statement of "knowledge and fact". It ain't so -- the Hornet is a great little round.

Doug

Last edited by dbr65; 02-06-2020 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:44 PM
Hoggr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
B23

Can't speak for the .17 Hornet but the .22 Hornet needs a light crimp on the thin brass neck.

Hoggr
Old 02-06-2020, 08:00 PM
jkingrph
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have two Hornets, one a big Ruger #1, the other a little CZ 527 Prestige model. Both are sub MOA with just about any load I have used. The only problem I have is feeding of the rimmed cartridge from the detachable magazine, not always the smoothest. All in all it's a fun little cartridge, don't try to make a 5.56 out of it, keep velocities and pressures lower and case life is fine.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:17 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggr View Post
Can't speak for the .17 Hornet but the .22 Hornet needs a light crimp on the thin brass neck.

Hoggr
Never really been a fan of crimping, unless it's in an AR or some kind of semi auto that's shaking things around. IMO, crimping is kind of a crutch to try and fix a bigger problem. That's why I like bushing dies, you can set the neck tension, consistently, the same on all of your brass, regardless of how thick or thin the necks are.

But, if you're only using a FL die, you're stuck with a fixed neck diameter and if the neck thickness varies, you're pretty well screwed and may have to crimp just to hold the bullet in place.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:46 PM
Tactical_Lever

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No such thing as an inherently inaccurate, or accurate round. All kinds of myth gets passed off as fact. That this round is so accurate, that round is not quite as accurate because it's a tenth of an inch longer than the parent round. The idea that necking up or necking down a round will magically create, or destroy a cartridges accuracy potential is just silly.

The case is just a pressure chamber, and the brass is just a gasket. All a bullet sees is the propellant force needed to launch. With very small cartridges, it may be a little harder to get very consistent results.

Someone mentioned rifle primers have too much power, and better results are possible with pistol primers being the better choice. I believe this to be the case.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:16 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They say insanity is trying the same thing over and over while expecting different results. Oddly enough I get a different result, accuracy's fine and I have fun doing it. The left rifle is a 17 Hornet the rest are 22 Hornets.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:20 PM
Hoggr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Hornet Crimps

The best factory .22 Hornet ammo I ever used was Winchester Supreme in the black box. Those factory loads were crimped! Unfortunately they have not been marketed for many years. Could never produce loads that were their equal.

Hoggr
Old 02-07-2020, 05:35 PM
AubMassCoyote

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Pictured above, left to right
17 HMR, 17 Hornet, 22 Hornet, 223 Remington, and 220 Swift.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:49 PM
ChangFest

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
Never really been a fan of crimping, unless it's in an AR or some kind of semi auto that's shaking things around. IMO, crimping is kind of a crutch to try and fix a bigger problem. That's why I like bushing dies, you can set the neck tension, consistently, the same on all of your brass, regardless of how thick or thin the necks are.

But, if you're only using a FL die, you're stuck with a fixed neck diameter and if the neck thickness varies, you're pretty well screwed and may have to crimp just to hold the bullet in place.
I've never seen the need to crimp 22 Hornet. I've tried three different sizing dies, Lee's collet dies, neck sizing only dies and all have given more than enough neck tension to not have to crimp. Something's wrong if you have to crimp to keep the bullet in the case.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:55 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One of the thoughts behind crimping the 22 Hornet is the idea that in the brief instant that the primer ignites but before the powder has fully ignited the primer pop pushes the bullet slightly from the case. So a crimp holds the bullet in place against primer force in the small Hornet case and doesn't allow for a slight misalignment of the bullet. Same idea behind a small pistol primer, smaller pop, less movement from the bullet. I tied the Lee crimp die but it didn't impress me that much. I've had better luck with small pistol primers, one rifle had a noticeable improvement. Still when putting up a bunch of Hornet rounds I still use CCI 400 primers. I'm of the opinion, and it's only an opinion, an individual rifles chamber is a much greater variable. If your having problems crimping or small pistol primers are two other options to try.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:10 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggr View Post
Al, next time you have a PM with Vincent express the appreciation that Hornet enthusiasts on RFC have for his ability to share loading insights. He tells us what his many years of Hornet history have taught him and backs it up.

I struggled with my Hornets until Vincent turned me around and am very grateful.

Hoggr

I picked Vincent's and the 10/22 SuperStock Forum's collective brains for accuracy info for my Rem 22 semis.
I don't reload so only shoot factory fodder or Cooper reloads in my Cooper 22Hornet that came with the rifle.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:07 AM
ChangFest

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59801 View Post
One of the thoughts behind crimping the 22 Hornet is the idea that in the brief instant that the primer ignites but before the powder has fully ignited the primer pop pushes the bullet slightly from the case. So a crimp holds the bullet in place against primer force in the small Hornet case and doesn't allow for a slight misalignment of the bullet. Same idea behind a small pistol primer, smaller pop, less movement from the bullet. I tied the Lee crimp die but it didn't impress me that much. I've had better luck with small pistol primers, one rifle had a noticeable improvement. Still when putting up a bunch of Hornet rounds I still use CCI 400 primers. I'm of the opinion, and it's only an opinion, an individual rifles chamber is a much greater variable. If your having problems crimping or small pistol primers are two other options to try.
Interesting. Something that I've never thought of. I'd think (like you mention about rifle chamber variables) that the potential for the bullet to move based on the primer pop is the least of one's worry when reloading for 22 Hornet.