Well.... who is shooting what with their Mark II's? Offhand pistol match on RFC. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-03-2021, 08:38 PM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well.... who is shooting what with their Mark II's? Offhand pistol match on RFC.

Since I know a lot of the Mark owners shoot them as much as collect them, I thought I would spread the word. Matches at 10, 15, and 25 yards, irons or optics. I've been shooting mostly rifle and centerfire lately, so this should give me incentive to pick up the Mark II more often.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...play.php?f=503

For those of you that might have multiple pistols, spread the word in the other subsections. But I'm really hoping there are enough Mark II's that they can sweep the high scores in each class monthly.... after all, they are shooters.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:37 PM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Surprising. One hundred ninety one views and nobody posting that they would like to try the matches, or even a mention of what targets/distances/etc they shoot with their Mark II.

I know we have a variety of shooters, hunters, collectors, etc.... and I have no dislike for anyone's preferences. But I just thought many if not most of the Mark II owners shot them on a somewhat regular basis.

Am I wrong, or is everyone just holed up for the winter?
Old 02-21-2021, 08:00 PM
Mike3838
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Looks like fun. I had no idea such matches existed here. I'll have to jump in on one. Might even use my MkII that has aftermarket iron sights, Rink grips and a trigger job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2021, 08:29 PM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3838 View Post
Looks like fun. I had no idea such matches existed here. I'll have to jump in on one. Might even use my MkII that has aftermarket iron sights, Rink grips and a trigger job.
The pistol match was recently revived from the dead. We are hoping to get enough people shooting to make it more fun. Bring whatever hardware you have, from stock to wild.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:47 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
94% (12)
Can you use volquartsen uppers?
Old 02-21-2021, 09:05 PM
Ynoti81

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would be interested but have know idea what I'm doing.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:36 PM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any rimfire pistol shot offhand with no artificial support unless warranted by physical condition.

And Ynoti81, there isn't much to it. If you haven't ever shot at a known distance offhand, now might be the time to give it a try. It's not a match that we are going to take too seriously, so the whole idea is just personal improvement for most of us. If you are new to offhand shooting, keep in mind that you can use a rest for sighting in your pistol and such, just not when shooting for score. If you figure out a good rest setup to get your pistol and ammo dialed in, from there you can see how steady you are without any support.

There are 3 distances, being 10,15, and 25 yard. Two classes being iron sights and optics. It's all about just having some fun and getting better with our pistols.

I'm actually hoping some top notch shooter types join in. That's where we all stand to learn from them, both in terms of technique and hardware. From my personal experience, the shooter makes a lot more difference than the hardware. I've seen great shooters with lower end hardware overcome and still shoot great. And I've also seen new shooters with the best of the best hardware, and they still struggle.

In my case I realized I've shot 10 yards a LOT more than other distances. While I've gotten decent at 10 yards, I've still got a lot of room to improve at the greater distances. As well as improve my 10 yard game.

The Mark series, stock or modified, have proven to be some great shooting pistols. Let's point that out to everyone else shooting in the matches, and maybe help find out which other pistols are just as capable.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:09 AM
Racer X
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
97% (34)
unfortunately my local indoor range is closed for the time being. How would I submit 50'? I suppose I could pull the target forward on the trolley a bit for 15 yards.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:21 AM
hamden
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The closest I ever shot is 50' gallery matches. Then 25y 900s and also full 900s with 50y slowfire. Best 50y SF is 99 with dot or irons.
I also love to shoot 22 on a 100y 10" dinger
All this is offhand
Old 02-26-2021, 05:37 AM
Ynoti81

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Signmaster, thank you for the response. Another question. Where do we sign up for this. And then post results. Sorry for all the questions. Once again I have no clue on what I'm doing and where to go for info. Thank you in advance.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:54 AM
Ynned

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynoti81 View Post
Signmaster, thank you for the response. Another question. Where do we sign up for this. And then post results. Sorry for all the questions. Once again I have no clue on what I'm doing and where to go for info. Thank you in advance.
I'm not Signmaster, but I'll take a chance he won't be irked if I butt in.
There isn't a real sign up as such, it's just a fun match for bragging rights. We shoot the 50 yd smallbore rifle target (A 23, A 9, or as I just learned yesterday TQ 3/1). Rules (such as they are) are here, post scores and discussion here. We're trying to make it as easy as possible for any one to participate, but still keep it standardized so we're all shooting the same target at the same distances. Drop in and check it out.
Later,
Dennis
Old 02-27-2021, 04:29 PM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
unfortunately my local indoor range is closed for the time being. How would I submit 50'? I suppose I could pull the target forward on the trolley a bit for 15 yards.
If you can't (or aren't allowed to) shoot at 45 feet due to a range restriction, I'm sure everyone would be OK with you submitting the 50 foot score. One of the things that drove us to add the 25 yard option was a member here stating that it was the closest range they could shoot at on the range he uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamden View Post
The closest I ever shot is 50' gallery matches. Then 25y 900s and also full 900s with 50y slowfire. Best 50y SF is 99 with dot or irons.
I also love to shoot 22 on a 100y 10" dinger
ll this is offhand
Sounds like you might be a prime candidate to join the fun. Though the target for the 900s is a little different, if you are familiar with the longer distances it should scale well to the targets we are using at 25 yards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynoti81 View Post
I'm glad Ynned chimed in and got you the links. If you have any more questions just fire away.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:00 PM
Mike3838
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I turned in the scores using my Ruger MkII. Ten yards is strange. I'm used to 25 and 50 yards. Had to move the rear sight up 12 clicks for 10 yards. Anyhow. 234-8x was my score. Thinking for March I'll try 15 yards just for fun. Then 25 yards in April.