Looks like Kidd has had a 15% price increase. - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-21-2021, 12:40 PM
Leadshaft
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (51)
I'm sure the resale value is now higher.

My father was a manufacturer and so was I. This is a simple situation. The manufacturer sets the price, the buyer can buy or not. The people that whine only see the consumer side of the equation. Virtually EVERTHING will go up in price over time. The people that bought before the price increase can be happy. The people that buy now can be happy they bought before the next price increase.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:18 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (262)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadshaft View Post
My father was a manufacturer and so was I. This is a simple situation. The manufacturer sets the price, the buyer can buy or not. The people that whine only see the consumer side of the equation. Virtually EVERTHING will go up in price over time. The people that bought before the price increase can be happy. The people that buy now can be happy they bought before the next price increase.
That's true as far as it goes. However, said manufacturer can price himself right out of the market depending on the quality of his products, and the demand for them, and the competition. Those factors constitute the company's "moat" vs competition. If the moat is wide, the company has pricing power. If narrow or non-existent, little or no pricing power without losing sales and market share, or in the extreme, going out of business. In the case of KIDD, there is certainly competition, but there is a wide moat. They may lose a few customers with the price increases, but I suspect the impact will be minimal and of short duration.

Doug
Old 02-21-2021, 02:22 PM
Leadshaft

TPC Rating: 
100% (51)
Doug, Of course everything you added is true.

I just want to add that the manufacturer has complete control over the price they ask. It is there right. They started the company, they work the long hours and they have to make the hard decisions. Not easy. The reward for a good job is growth of the company. The penalty for going too high or too low is the closing of the company. Then nobody can buy the product at any price.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:24 PM
BBQBandit
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
May I share a perspective or two?

The man's name is a multi-faceted precious stone.

His name... is a brand.
His name... is a Hall of Fame respect and honor within the Army Marksmanship Unit.
His name... stands by itself.
He demands his own standards of a quality part.

Am not a blindless fanboy... yet do understand his perspective.

Here's another perspective... my own.
Did a spell cooking competitive BBQ over 10 years... with a 3/4 ton truck, a 20 foot trailer, and a cooker weighing a ton empty. Earned and learned a bunch on character by the quality of slow-roasted food.

What is a man's worth - investing over 20 hours driving, setting up, cooking for 16 hours, using the best ingredients available... and sell his craft for less than his worth? Should a man use a lower quality set of ingredients just to get the lower bid for a catering gig? Compromising his own standards?

Rather than settling... spent a few weekends being a part of a multiple vehicle traveling BBQ team... cooking for the troops.

Norfolk, Fort Bragg, Arlington.

Not for money... But to thank them.

Why should he settle for less?
Old 02-25-2021, 11:42 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Personally I find this thread interesting. Many businesses, including mine, have seen cost increases go up during this pandemic.
Kidd’s products speak for themselves, and his prices have been fixed for quite some time. Personally, I’m surprised it took Tony this long to increase them.

For my part, he hasn’t done anything to place his wares out of my financial reach, because they’ve proven, time and time again- to be worth the price tag.

Just my 2Ę-

DrGunner
Old 02-26-2021, 01:48 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I agree with DRgunner.

I wouldn't think anyone who can find a way to purchase a KIDD at 2020 prices would be stymied by the 2021 price. If nothing else, if you have a stash of ammo and you can spare a bit, you wouldn't have to sell of much to make up the 15%.

Last edited by bowwild; 02-26-2021 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:57 AM
str8shuutr45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Iíve been following this post with interest for a while. My interest comes from readin comments by people that complain about a manufacturer raising prices on THEIR products, hard work, innovation, and Intellectual Property. Who took all the risk, invested income and sweat equity, failed, slept little and ate less to earn a profit? The consumer, no, the manufacturer. Why should someone then begrudge a profit or an increase in price to cover increased costs (materials, energy, labor, transportation, IT, physical plant, etc).

I say that these complainers have a five and dime mentality. They want a premium product at a commodity price (that mindset is what started the decline of manufacturing jobs in the US). Well friends, you canít have it both ways. If you canít or wonít spend the extra 15% or whatever the increase is, find an alternative that fits your budget. I built a 10/22 late last year with mostly Kidd parts and would do it again if the desire arises because it shoots great. With that said, I would love a bolt gun from Vudoo Gun Works but I canít afford one (yet) so I purchased a Bergara trainer.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:07 AM
Horsefly

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Really enjoy the perspective's......

Kidd can go up to a price point where he thinks he can still maintain sales.......I get it. But most consumers have their own price point also. 15% plus just seems like a big jump to me. Especially after the last 12 months or so. Maybe it's just a timing thing for me....

I'll likely continue to buy some parts from KID, but I will be shopping around more for options. That's for sure!

There are as good/or better barrels...
and bolts
and receivers
and...and...and...

Competition is a great thing for us consumers! We should take advantage of it1

Just saying!
Old 03-01-2021, 12:36 PM
Sir

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's unlikely KIDD will lose many customers, the quality of their products is among the best in the industry. When you look at the pricing of other producers of high quality components it seem to me, even with the 15% price increase KIDD, is more the competitive. This is capitalism at work.... nut'n wrong wit dat.

Have you noticed the price jump in ammo?? I wish it were only 15%..

Last edited by Sir; 03-01-2021 at 12:43 PM.