Special Little Rifle to the Range Tomorrow - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-03-2021, 03:36 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Special Little Rifle to the Range Tomorrow

Virtually forgotten for more than 40 years.......it's about time.

My dad cut this down for me in 1948-9 and gave it to me when I was four years old in 1950.

It was his first rifle.......and mine. It was also used by two younger brothers after I was gone.

I'm not sure anybody cleaned it after I left. My dad used it for gophers in the back yard with birdshot after everybody else quit using it.

He said it had no rifling left so it gave good patterns with birdshot.

So a belated cleaning took place yesterday and today.

That took about 50 patches, lots of brushing and several soakings with Hoppes #9.

It has untold thousands of rounds through it. A lot of it was .22 Short so the chamber needed a lot of attention.

And lo and behold......it DOES have rifling.

So.......to the range tomorrow to see if it still shoots. Dad has been gone these many years, but I'm sure he'll enjoy looking down at the fun.

Last edited by Rocinante; 10-03-2021 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 03:52 PM
1Rudedawg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great story and history, I sure hope it groups well for you for sure.
Old 10-03-2021, 04:20 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Nice to see that they are still in the family. I have 2 winchesters that belonged to my dad. He got both soon after he was home from WWII.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2021, 06:45 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Rudedawg View Post
Great story and history, I sure hope it groups well for you for sure.
Thanks.

I just hope it shoots.

Old 10-03-2021, 06:48 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty123 View Post
Nice to see that they are still in the family. I have 2 winchesters that belonged to my dad. He got both soon after he was home from WWII.
Yes, keeping it in the family is a good thing.

I wanted to clean this up because I'm of an age where I should decide who gets it next.

Some nephew, I guess........maybe.
Old 10-04-2021, 03:54 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, it still shoots.

It functioned perfectly. My only problem was the scope.

I could adjust it for point of impact but when I tried to focus it ....... it just got worse and stayed a little blurry.

I tried it out on one of the fun targets and it did fine.......could have been better with a clear scope. A couple times I lost track of the star.

Old 10-04-2021, 04:08 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sweet!

Old 10-04-2021, 10:43 PM
ClarenceAnderson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Yes, it still shoots.

It functioned perfectly. My only problem was the scope.

I could adjust it for point of impact but when I tried to focus it ....... it just got worse and stayed a little blurry.
How did you focus it? Are you talking about the reticle? Or does this scope (what is it?) have an adjustable objective for range?

When adjusting focus for the reticle, don't have it pointed at a target, point it at the sky as it's ONLY the reticle you should see when making this adjustment.

Focusing an adjustable objective on some scopes can drive you crazy, because the difference between perfect focus & some parallax error may only be a fraction of a turn.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:31 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceAnderson View Post
How did you focus it? Are you talking about the reticle? Or does this scope (what is it?) have an adjustable objective for range?

When adjusting focus for the reticle, don't have it pointed at a target, point it at the sky as it's ONLY the reticle you should see when making this adjustment.

Focusing an adjustable objective on some scopes can drive you crazy, because the difference between perfect focus & some parallax error may only be a fraction of a turn.
The scope is a pre-war Pan-Tech 4X made in Encinitas, California.

The focus is on the ocular eyepiece.

It's gritty and does not turn as far as it should and I'm not going to force it.

It's about eighty years old and deserves some respect.

Basically the scope is toast and I'm going to get a new 3/4 inch scope to replace it.

It's well past retirement.
Old 10-05-2021, 03:54 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
However........after all that.......I'm left with a tough problem.

The bolt handle just barely clears that tiny little scope.

All newer 3/4 inch scopes are thicker at the back......some are much more bulky.

I will need a higher scope mount than the existing N2.

I wonder if an N3 will do it or should I go for an N4.......assuming I can FIND either.

Or.......should I just see if a gunsmith can plug the existing holes and drill and tap the top for a picatinny rail?

That would open the way for larger scopes of all kinds......lots of choices.

Complicated problem.
Old 10-05-2021, 04:25 PM
dbr65

TPC Rating: 
100% (284)
While a really neat little rifle, I'm assuming it's not a collector, so a modification to make it more usable sounds like a reasonable solution to your needs for a new scope. IMO a rail would add unnecessary bulk and spoil the aesthetics of the rifle. I might suggest picking a couple Warne steel bases.* They come in various sizes with various hole spacing that would fit on your receiver (you could choose the ones for the Winchester 52 Repro, for example). They accept Weaver-style rings (like Burris ZEEs) so many options are available. Just have your 'smith drill holes in the top of the receiver appropriate to the spacing of the holes in the selected bases and the proper distance apart for where you want each base. Aesthetically, they almost disappear under the scope rings. I did that to an older rifle that had no set up for a scope (other than a side mount) and it turned out very well.

Doug

* https://www.brownells.com/optics-mou...prod24131.aspx
Old 10-05-2021, 04:29 PM
jeepwm69

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:

Or.......should I just see if a gunsmith can plug the existing holes and drill and tap the top for a picatinny rail?

NOOOOOOO!

Don't put ugly modern mounts on that classic.

Glad to see it still shoots. What about sending the existing scope off to have it refurbed?

Obviously not the most cost efficient, but it would stay "original" to how your Dad had it.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:04 PM
ClarenceAnderson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwm69 View Post
What about sending the existing scope off to have it refurbed?
It could be done, but would cost several times what this inexpensive scope is worth. There are many better scopes of the same dia. that could be used, such as model J & B Weavers. Replacing the existing mount makes no sense at all.
Old 10-06-2021, 12:43 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, all good advice here above........and welcome in this difficult situation.

Here's how I'm leaning now. Since I'm 75 and ready to pass this along to a family member I'd like to keep it looking like it does in all the family pictures from many years ago.

The Pan-Tech scope is toast and not worth fixing......and not the original scope anyway. It's something my dad picked up after I was long gone.

This rifle first had a Weaver G4 and then a B4. I'm looking at buying a refurbished B4 and I might go as far as a J4 because that would be a little better scope and wouldn't change the looks much.

I'll need an N3 mount and maybe even an N4 mount. From what I can garner from the info available they would all fit the same holes.

So.......that's where I'm at right now.

Thanks for all the great info.
Old 10-06-2021, 01:22 PM
ClarenceAnderson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

This rifle first had a Weaver G4 and then a B4. I'm looking at buying a refurbished B4 and I might go as far as a J4 because that would be a little better scope and wouldn't change the looks much.

I'll need an N3 mount and maybe even an N4 mount. From what I can garner from the info available they would all fit the same holes.
Since the J & B Weavers are 3/4" tube scopes, why wouldn't they fit the mounts you have?