100% (2)
does one need a special compressor?

for a PCP air rifle
Old 11-29-2020, 11:08 PM
Wyocaddis
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
thinking about an Air Force Condor any recommendations? 22cal.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:09 AM
Rimfiregal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, you need a high pressure compressor to fill a PCP. A standard shop compressor won't work. Doesn't produce anywhere near the needed pressure.

If you want to go with a compressor to fill, you can add a "shoebox" compressor to a shop compressor, but, more recently, you can now buy your one PCP compressor to do fills. Prices have come down, considerably in the last 5 years or so. Still not cheap, but doable.

Your other options are to get a hand pump or use scuba tanks and have them filled by a local dive shop. Again, you will need a high pressure hand pump designed to fill PCP air rifles. A standard bicycle pump doesn't have enough pressure. Be warned, though, pumping up a 3000 psi or higher PCP rifle reservoir requires a lot of pumping. Doable, if you're in good shape, but you'll get a workout. We're now old and retired, so we use scuba tanks to fill our PCPs, but will be getting our own compressor in the near future.

Last edited by Rimfiregal; 11-30-2020 at 11:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2020, 04:23 PM
mcoulter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wrapping your mind around compressed air for a PCP is definitely a challenge in the beginning. Rimfiregal gave you a great introduction and options above!

For reference here's my progression:

1) Got a pcp rifle and hand pump. It worked and while I'm in decent shape, it sucked. It just threw off the whole rhythm of shooting (for me at least). I would get about 30 shots and then would have to pump the gun 90 times to fill it up again. I ended up selling both after about a year.

2) I caught the PCP bug again and decided to get a carbon fiber air tank to use as an air supply to fill my gun. These are very similar to the tanks firefighters use. Before making this investment I verified that a local fire equipment supply company would be able to fill my tank. It gets filled to about 4500 psi. That place was about a 35 minute (one way) drive from my house. I think I paid about $8 or $10 to have it filled each time. I did this for at least a couple of years. The drive was a bit of a hassle and I had picked up a new gun that was an air hog. My tank's wasn't lasting as long as it used to...

3) So, I placed a "want to buy" ad in some airgun forums for the Shoebox compressor mentioned above. I received several offers and found a peach! Since this time the guy who made the shoebox compressor closed up shop (cheap Chinese compressors were the nail in the coffin). Folks who like these types of compressors are snatching them up for parts so they may not be as easy to find any more. FWIW, the shoebox is slow, it needs to be "fed" with air from a "normal" oilless shop compressor, but they're reliable. Last time I counted, I think I have topped off my tank at least 24 or 25 times since buying it.

If you have some time, check out this video review of a fairly new PCP pump combo. I know I probably made the pump out to be kind of sucky, but there truly isn't any simpler way to get into PCPs than this setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A9ruyVPboc

All you need to add are scope, rings and pellets!

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Umare...Hand_Pump/5255

Pyramyd has a coupon code that gives 10% off most things: PYRAMYD-NRA

Old 12-01-2020, 05:11 PM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
PCPs are hoot! Here's a map showing some Wyoming dive shops https://www.google.com/maps/search/d.../data=!3m1!4b1

Another thought if you're in a small town is go talk to the volunteer fire department. They almost always have a high pressure compressor setup for their SCBA gear. A little sweet talking, maybe a case of beer now and then, who knows?

Frank
Old 12-01-2020, 05:59 PM
lonestardiver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
PCPs are hoot! Here's a map showing some Wyoming dive shops https://www.google.com/maps/search/d.../data=!3m1!4b1

Another thought if you're in a small town is go talk to the volunteer fire department. They almost always have a high pressure compressor setup for their SCBA gear. A little sweet talking, maybe a case of beer now and then, who knows?

Frank

Take the volunteer FD food and or cases of water especially if they have a shift on duty. Now some VFDs go to a neighboring town/FD to get air fills depending on their budgets/grant writing capabilities. I have been on the volunteer side and the combo department side. It was always a pain to head into town to refill tanks after a structure fire at 0245...but had to in case you busted another call overnight. Some departments have cascade systems where they have to refill the big tanks from time to time....NFPA is getting stricter about logging fills...tank serial number, date of last hydro, etc. If your tank (based on type) is past the due date for a hydro, they likely wont fill it. But then NFPA doesnt have as much rule over volunteer departments as it does paid departments.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:00 PM
candr44

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A compressor is nice to have but you don't need to own one to recharge a PCP. I use a scuba tank for refills and I have a paintball range in town that can refill my PCP.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:36 PM
Ontarget58

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There's no cheap way to get into PCP. A hand pump is a pain in the butt. Better to get a low-cost Chinese pump and fill your gun directly from it. I have reservations about durability and dryness of the air. You can get a carbon fiber tank (about $500) and get it filled. One fill will fill your gun many times. The shoebox compressor is great but you will need a tank with it, filters, plumbing stuff etc and your price point rises to $1200.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:34 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
HAnd pumps are ok for guns with smaller air reservoirs and have operating psi at max off 200 bar.
You start going to 230 bar. Or try and pump up a bigger reservoir like 300cc or greater. You are in for a ride!!
Pump heat will be tremendous if you were able to do. Pump failure earlier on likely.

I used hand pump and pumped up the following PCPs. Theoben Rapid, Daystate Huntsman, Fx Cyclone and Gladiator, Air Arms 410, bsa super ten.
I was younger when I did.
Won’t Do now.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:44 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post

Frank
Ha, ha!!!! I clicked on the link for Wyoming dive shops. One of the places it took me was to the River City Bar in Riverton, a real "dive" fully deserving the name, I would not walk into the place unless armed with a shotgun.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:52 PM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Banjamin Maurader directly from Crosman with code AGNATION (25% discount) comes to $405. Yong Heng pump for $235 shipped on Ebay. UTG 3X9X40 with AO on Ebay for $85. 2500 Crosman CPHP at Walmart for $32. Unfortunately the Mrod is out of stock at Crosman but you can request an Email notification. The new Crosman barrels are quite a step up from the old ones and my Mrod shoots CPHP's extremely well.