Kidd Trigger Job Kit vs. Brimstone Tier 2? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:33 PM
jam_ppp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Kidd Trigger Job Kit vs. Brimstone Tier 2?

I installed the Kidd Trigger Job Kit on my 10/22 TD and was really impressed.

I bought a Carbine, and am planning to send the receiver into Brimstone to get the cleaning hole cut and possibly a Tier 2 trigger job for it. (after seeing the difference with the Kidd, can't leave it as is).

First off, they both seem to have solid reputations and I'm sure I'll be happy with either, but trying to understand the difference between them. Reading both sites, I see 3 main things:
  1. Brimstone reworks your parts vs. Kidd sends you new hammer, sear, disconnector.
  2. Brimstone adds a tortion spring for return.
  3. Brimstone taps the return spring hole for a trigger stop, vs. through the trigger on Kidd

How much is there to what is said about the return spring hole being 'at an angle" and affecting pull?

Thanks, jam
Old 12-17-2017, 06:28 PM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam_ppp View Post
I installed the Kidd Trigger Job Kit on my 10/22 TD and was really impressed.

I bought a Carbine, and am planning to send the receiver into Brimstone to get the cleaning hole cut and possibly a Tier 2 trigger job for it. (after seeing the difference with the Kidd, can't leave it as is).

First off, they both seem to have solid reputations and I'm sure I'll be happy with either, but trying to understand the difference between them. Reading both sites, I see 3 main things:
  1. Brimstone reworks your parts vs. Kidd sends you new hammer, sear, disconnector.
  2. Brimstone adds a tortion spring for return.
  3. Brimstone taps the return spring hole for a trigger stop, vs. through the trigger on Kidd

How much is there to what is said about the return spring hole being 'at an angle" and affecting pull?

Thanks, jam
It is significant. You can polish the plunger, the back of the trigger where the plunger touches, and even the hole, and make it noticeably better. But the torsion spring setup is still a better solution IMO.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:11 PM
jam_ppp

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_in_MO View Post
It is significant. You can polish the plunger, the back of the trigger where the plunger touches, and even the hole, and make it noticeably better. But the torsion spring setup is still a better solution IMO.
Will try the Tier 2 route,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2017, 07:30 PM
Rick67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The results of putting a modded OEM hammer in a Tactical Innovations housing is really dramatic. Not only will it look fantastic, the trigger pull becomes so much better too. No slack on mine now and it is crisp.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:41 PM
Tautog166

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick67 View Post
The results of putting a modded OEM hammer in a Tactical Innovations housing is really dramatic. Not only will it look fantastic, the trigger pull becomes so much better too. No slack on mine now and it is crisp.
Try dropping a Kidd drop in kit into the same housing. Just take the overtravel screw out of the Kidd trigger before and you will be really, really impressed. Same crisp trigger as the Kidd Single Stage imo, along with the adjustable overtravel and pull weight.

I just prefer the look of the TI housing over the Kidd.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:48 PM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
You do realize the receiver is the serial numbered part so it is the "firearm" and you can't just mail it. The trigger group can go by USPS but not the receiver.

BTW, I had Brimstone do a Tier 2 trigger job on my 10/22 and the results were excellent. I think you will be pleased.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:37 PM
mdauben

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22/45 Fan View Post
You do realize the receiver is the serial numbered part so it is the "firearm" and you can't just mail it. The trigger group can go by USPS but not the receiver.

BTW, I had Brimstone do a Tier 2 trigger job on my 10/22 and the results were excellent. I think you will be pleased.
I thought rifles could go by USPS? It's only handguns that are restricted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2017, 07:04 AM
Tsb3

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
I thought rifles could go by USPS? It's only handguns that are restricted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
That is correct. Rifles may be sent USPS with tracking to a licensee in another state.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:00 PM
Tralus

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have never shot with a Kidd Trigger kit, but I absolutely love the Brimstone Tier 2. Very little take-up and then super crisp break, no extra travel.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:34 PM
Rick67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralus View Post
I have never shot with a Kidd Trigger kit, but I absolutely love the Brimstone Tier 2. Very little take-up and then super crisp break, no extra travel.
Me too. When I modded my OEM hammer I was saying to myself that if I mess up I would buy a Kidd kit but it ended up great, especially when I transferred the components to my new Tactical Innovations housing. It is so much better than my BX, no comparison at all No slack of any kind and it breaks nice and clean

There is this unadulterated and incontrovertible feeling of utmost satisfaction when you have done something great w/ nary a pecuniary divestment
Old 12-18-2017, 05:26 PM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Will try the Tier 2 route,
And don't bother to send the receiver in for nothing more than drilling the cleaning hole. Just clean your barrel with a snake, worm or common aluminum cleaning rod. IMO the hole isn't worth the time it takes to drill it.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:36 PM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
And don't bother to send the receiver in for nothing more than drilling the cleaning hole.
+1 Drill it yourself as the directions and hole location are well documented. IIRC, someone on this forum has a jig to locate and pilot the hole that free to borrow for the asking.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:05 PM
jam_ppp

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I don't have any experience drilling metal like that and don't own a anything to measure down to a thousandth of an inch - which is what the directions call for. If I use the jig, i still have to pay the $7 to ship to the next person, so my logic is if i'm sending my trigger in for the tier 2, i can include the receiver, get the hole drilled for $12.50, and shipping is "free" since i'm paying to send and return the trigger. So in the end, for $5.50 i get a pro to drill and clean up the hole.

I did get a snake, so expect I'll use that most of the time, and take advantage of the hole when I do thorough cleaning.

jam
Old 12-19-2017, 12:02 AM
rawhp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsb3 View Post
That is correct. Rifles may be sent USPS with tracking to a licensee in another state.
Hmm, can it be sent back to the OP, if the OP isn't an FFL??

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-...postal-service

Nevermind, found the answer:
https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/...aspdf/download

Last edited by rawhp; 12-19-2017 at 12:06 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:14 AM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Maybe I'm wrong but in the end how hard can that be to drill a hole in the back of the receiver? Could you not just run a rod down the barrel and mark off where it contacts the back of the receiver, eyeball it up a hair, measure that distance across to the backside and drill it? I may be dead wrong there, but it just doesn't seem like an exact science to me. I say this in speculation, because I've never gotten around to doing it, but the size hole that is being made in the area that its being made at doesn't really look like something thats going to compromise the structural integrity of the receiver.