Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:02 AM
ethan83
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Brimstone Barrel Shroud service?

I came across this on another forum; a company called Brimstone Gunsmithing that will add an SBX-style barrel shroud to your 10/22 barrel:

https://www.brimstonegunsmithing.com...shroud-service

Anyone familiar with this outfit? I'm definitely going to get a can if the SHARE act/HPA ends up getting signed, and still probably will even if the legislation goes nowhere. But regardless, I like the idea of the SBX-style setup to save on a tax stamp (and other regulatory headaches like interstate travel), but I've heard mixed reviews of the SBX's accuracy, so I've thought about getting something like this installed on another aftermarket barrel of higher quality.

I asked Kidd if they would ever consider doing a barrel like the SBX on their Facebook page a little while back, and they never even responded. Anyone think it would be worth sending a Kidd barrel to an outfit like this? I'm guessing they don't take the kind of care with the crown (much less counterboring it behind the threads) that Kidd does, defeating much of the purpose of buying a Kidd barrel... but it would be awful nifty to have one made with one of their Supergrade barrels so it could be swapped in and out of a Supergrade receiver.

Anyone think it's worth it to have a gunsmith hack up a Kidd supergrade barrel and install an SBX-style shroud, such that it could be used on a Supergrade host receiver? Or would it perhaps degrade a Kidd barrel enough that I should consider just getting an actual Tacsol SBX and building a dedicated rifle?
Old 09-27-2017, 12:11 AM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Ummm.... Brimstone is Top Shelf for trigger jobs... this is new to me.. and sounds interesting... sent a email to David.. will wait for a reply... more to come I am sure... sounds like a Butchered up COOL mess to me.. and I might do one.

Most everyone on RFC knows Brimstone and I say with confidence that 98%-99% will give him rave reviews.

Just the re-chamber jobs WILL net him lots of jobs alone.. very cool.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:20 AM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I wouldn't do it to a Super Grade barrel. To ways it could kill the accuracy you paid for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2017, 01:21 PM
Brimstone
RFC Sponsor
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Hey thanks for pointing this out to me Chaser! Whenever I jump on RFC I never make it out of the Action section

There are a LOT of factors going on here regarding accuracy... However at face value shortening the barrel will always result in better accuracy due to reduced harmonic variables. That is true for any firearm, period. Most of the Smallbore USBR records have been set at my local shooting range, Clark Rifles. And the guy who as set most of those records is a good friend of mine, Bob Kadow. We have had numerous discussion on rimfire barrel harmonics. So check this out...

https://usbr.benchrest.net/usbr_rec.htm

If you look the highest score there, higher than the unlimited rifle score, is the unlimited pistol score set by Bob. At 50 yards, it's a perfect 250-15x.

Now, if you're shooting 1000+yards, bullet velocity is important. If you're hunting or shooting bad guys in the field, bullet velocity makes a big difference, and so you need a long barrel to get those velocities. But that longer barrel is going to be inherently less accurate (more precisely, less forgiving of variables between rounds). This barrel modification still leaves you with a 12.25" barrel, so most ammo is still super sonic, and still has plenty of 'umph' to reach out to 100yds. By cutting the barrel down that 4", IF there is any difference, it will only increase accuracy.

However, you are then screwing a suppressor on to the end of the barrel (which also should increase accuracy) and pinning an aluminum shroud on the end. The shrouds weigh 2.5oz's, so it's not much, but that will not help accuracy, from a strictly technical point of view.

So the end result here is that this modification will (strictly theoretically) result in anything from a noticeable improvement (better crown, more rigid barrel, tighter chamber, etc) to a neutral difference. If you start with your Kidd bull barrel (which we have done) you're simply not going to see an earth shaking difference when you get it back.

Also want to add, you are messing with the barrel harmonics through all of this. Should be an improvement, but that might result in your current pet load not liking the new harmonics. Understand that right now trying all ammo, the best your rifle shoots is 1" at 50yds. After the work, trying all ammo types, your rifle might shoot .75" or better, but it might be with a different kind of ammo. And I'm totally making up numbers here, we aren't building the whole rifle, there's no guaranty of accuracy improvements. There's a lot of variables here...

But that was not the intent either. This modification was designed to allow you to have a shorter, handier, package on your pest control plinking rifles, while possibly improving the accuracy at the same time. If you're current barrel shoots so badly that it's only fit to be a fence post, you may not want to dump any more money into it... And trying to make a light weight pest control rifle with benchrest components, while not wrong, is trying to take the rifle in two totally different directions at once.

Or find us on Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/BrimstoneGunsmithing
Old 09-27-2017, 01:25 PM
Brimstone
RFC Sponsor
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Oh, there were also some legality questions. This is totally legal. It is commonly accepted that you can permanently attach a longer flash hider to your 14.5" AR barrel, to bring the overall length to 16". That's the same thing we are doing here, just with a longer flash hider. We have an aluminum shroud which is pinned and TIG welded, the Cerakoted.

This allows you to screw your suppressor on to your barrel, inside of the shroud, so that the overall length with your suppressor installed is around 18", the same length as your factory 10/22 barrel.

Or find us on Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/BrimstoneGunsmithing
Old 09-27-2017, 02:23 PM
ncbowhnter

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Hey Brimstone, I sent u a message
Old 09-28-2017, 01:29 AM
MannlicherFan
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
Hey thanks for pointing this out to me Chaser! Whenever I jump on RFC I never make it out of the Action section

There are a LOT of factors going on here regarding accuracy... However at face value shortening the barrel will always result in better accuracy due to reduced harmonic variables. That is true for any firearm, period. Most of the Smallbore USBR records have been set at my local shooting range, Clark Rifles. And the guy who as set most of those records is a good friend of mine, Bob Kadow. We have had numerous discussion on rimfire barrel harmonics. So check this out...

https://usbr.benchrest.net/usbr_rec.htm

If you look the highest score there, higher than the unlimited rifle score, is the unlimited pistol score set by Bob. At 50 yards, it's a perfect 250-15x.

Now, if you're shooting 1000+yards, bullet velocity is important. If you're hunting or shooting bad guys in the field, bullet velocity makes a big difference, and so you need a long barrel to get those velocities. But that longer barrel is going to be inherently less accurate (more precisely, less forgiving of variables between rounds). This barrel modification still leaves you with a 12.25" barrel, so most ammo is still super sonic, and still has plenty of 'umph' to reach out to 100yds. By cutting the barrel down that 4", IF there is any difference, it will only increase accuracy.

However, you are then screwing a suppressor on to the end of the barrel (which also should increase accuracy) and pinning an aluminum shroud on the end. The shrouds weigh 2.5oz's, so it's not much, but that will not help accuracy, from a strictly technical point of view.

So the end result here is that this modification will (strictly theoretically) result in anything from a noticeable improvement (better crown, more rigid barrel, tighter chamber, etc) to a neutral difference. If you start with your Kidd bull barrel (which we have done) you're simply not going to see an earth shaking difference when you get it back.

Also want to add, you are messing with the barrel harmonics through all of this. Should be an improvement, but that might result in your current pet load not liking the new harmonics. Understand that right now trying all ammo, the best your rifle shoots is 1" at 50yds. After the work, trying all ammo types, your rifle might shoot .75" or better, but it might be with a different kind of ammo. And I'm totally making up numbers here, we aren't building the whole rifle, there's no guaranty of accuracy improvements. There's a lot of variables here...

But that was not the intent either. This modification was designed to allow you to have a shorter, handier, package on your pest control plinking rifles, while possibly improving the accuracy at the same time. If you're current barrel shoots so badly that it's only fit to be a fence post, you may not want to dump any more money into it... And trying to make a light weight pest control rifle with benchrest components, while not wrong, is trying to take the rifle in two totally different directions at once.
David,
Does that apply to factory barrels as well??

Specifically... the compact models like this one... Ruger 10/22 Compact with 16.1-inch barrel vs the carbines with 18.5-inch barrels.

Also worth noting is the compact models (and most sporter models) do not have barrel bands like the carbines do.

Don't know if that makes a difference, just pointing it out in case.

Thanks!