Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-14-2021, 07:37 PM
critterman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Smile Winchester 67

Picked up a real nice winchester 67 today, it was un oiled for years but got the old boy cleaned an oiled shoots like a dream . Bore shining and and no wear signs. Ran sum sub sonic ammo done it it a tack driver at 35 yards. Felt like a kid again.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:04 PM
Rocinante
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well done.

Just got my childhood Model 68 outfitted with a Weaver B4 today.

Next I try to sight it in.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:06 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool, I have a early 67 and a 67a boys rifle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2021, 05:03 AM
critterman

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Smile Winchester 67

This one must be first or second year production gun. Has finger groves in stock and take down knob sits proud of stock. Was going to refinish the whole gun but it cleaned up well enough I'm going to leave it alone. If I can figure out how to load photos I will.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:46 AM
Rocinante

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've used this stuff and it's really good.

Use tiny amounts and numerous applications for best results.

https://homesteadparts.com/shop/stoc...oz-p-1781.html
Old 10-17-2021, 06:57 PM
ClarenceAnderson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
I've used this stuff and it's really good.

Use tiny amounts and numerous applications for best results.

https://homesteadparts.com/shop/stoc...oz-p-1781.html
The application instructions suggest it's boiled linseed oil with a stain added. Winchester stocks were commonly (but not always) given a reddish stain before finishing, but common sense tells you neither Winchester nor any major factory could afford to devote 30 days, or anything close, to stock finishing. Company catalogs never specified the kind of finish used, & methods changed over time, but in later yrs it was usually fast drying lacquer, unless extra cost varnish was ordered.

Springfield Armory did use plain boiled oil, but applied it by immersing stocks in hot oil under pressure to force it into the pores, then hanging them a few days to air dry.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:20 PM
Rocinante

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceAnderson View Post
The application instructions suggest it's boiled linseed oil with a stain added. Winchester stocks were commonly (but not always) given a reddish stain before finishing, but common sense tells you neither Winchester nor any major factory could afford to devote 30 days, or anything close, to stock finishing. Company catalogs never specified the kind of finish used, & methods changed over time, but in later yrs it was usually fast drying lacquer, unless extra cost varnish was ordered.

Springfield Armory did use plain boiled oil, but applied it by immersing stocks in hot oil under pressure to force it into the pores, then hanging them a few days to air dry.
Nonetheless........common sense also tells me I've used it and it has done a great job of reviving old Winchester stocks.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:44 PM
ClarenceAnderson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Nonetheless........common sense also tells me I've used it and it has done a great job of reviving old Winchester stocks.
I don't doubt it--but "reviving" isn't the same as finishing raw wood. I've used linseed oil many times for the same purpose. I was merely making the point that the instructions are misleading in so far as they imply that this was the same finishing procedure originally used by Winchester--that's simply not true. What John Kay (I knew him) did in his restoration business has no bearing on the necessities of mass-production.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:08 PM
Rocinante

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceAnderson View Post
I don't doubt it--but "reviving" isn't the same as finishing raw wood. I've used linseed oil many times for the same purpose. I was merely making the point that the instructions are misleading in so far as they imply that this was the same finishing procedure originally used by Winchester--that's simply not true. What John Kay (I knew him) did in his restoration business has no bearing on the necessities of mass-production.
LOL! I should start reading labels.

Oh well. It worked out ok for me.

The implications went right over my head.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:24 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've got a 67 that was handed down to me. My dad got it from my grandfather before passing it down to me. My dad refinished the stock in the 70's, and I did a cold blue on it last year when I got it.