P22Q fixed and returned - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-13-2021, 03:10 PM
NevRimfire

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
P22Q fixed and returned

Originally returned my P22Q to fix safety, slide (dented up as discussed) and barrel (not all ammo brands dropped in smoothly). Walther CS was excellent. They replaced slide, barrel and fixed safety and had my firearm back within ten days (including transit times to and from).

Upon checking the repaired firearm, I noticed that when the safety lever was engaged in its downward safe position that the hammer, when cocked, did not decock, but the safety transfer bar was still engaged blocking any hammer fall/discharge. I called Walther Tech Dept and they advised that they installed the latest slide which makes the P22Q into a P22QD, and that the QD version does not have the decocking feature as previous versions but the safety transfer bar still blocks the hammer in its down position.

Last edited by NevRimfire; 09-13-2021 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-13-2021, 05:14 PM
FlerpinDerHerpin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevRimfire View Post
The hammer stays back but the transfer bar blocks the hammer from the firing pin...
FWIW, my wife's 'Q' model came that way from the factory, even the manual's instructions for decocking it describes it that way (put on safe, pull trigger and lower hammer). Not saying the Walther guy is wrong, the 'QD' are likely all like that, but the manufacturing change apparently happened before that model was released.

Just mentioning it in case anyone else has a decockerless p22q and wonders if it's broken.
Old 09-13-2021, 05:34 PM
NevRimfire

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I did mention to Walther that my manual says that the safety lever decocks the hammer but the Tech says thatís wrong for their latest P22QD...no decocking. Itís counterintuitive for me since all my previous Walthers had hammers decocked when their safety levers were engaged (P38, PP, PPK).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2021, 05:34 PM
bugeye
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was de-cocking shotguns, rifles, and handguns before de-cocking was cool.
Don’t even know what a “de-cocker” really does except kinda, sorta on my P-22.

Am I correct that I can put the safety on and pull the trigger, the hammer drops and don’t go bang??

Last edited by bugeye; 09-13-2021 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-14-2021, 11:51 AM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevRimfire View Post
I’ve been getting very light primer strikes with failure to fire when I operate my P22 in double action mode. With the P22 loaded, safety lever down, hammer down I take safety off moving lever up and then it’s ready for firing first shot in double action mode...I pull trigger (very stiff in this pistol), hammer falls and it doesn’t fire more than half the time with light primer strikes. I have to pull hammer back and then it shoots fine in single action automatic mode with no malfunctions.

Don’t understand why it doesn’t function properly in double action, first shot mode.

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated my friends.

Thank you,

Eric
Quote from the original thread. During the discourse you called your pistol a P22 Q model. I take it, it was actually a QD model which incorporated an internal decocking lever. The pistol should have still worked fine in DA as long as the safety lever was set to fire. I have a 2017 model of one of these and the internal decocking lever makes the pistol/safety/decocker work similar to a PP/PPK, etc. pistol. For some reason Walther did not manufacture the QD for very long.

First let's understand how the original pistol and the Q model work with regard to the firing pin block. This is a spring loaded part, the little oval button as seen under the breech block. Its single purpose is to block movement of the firing pin unless the front arm of the sear which presses it up where it blocks the firing pin drops allowing the part to drop down and out of the way of the firing pin. If you take a careful look at the sear you will notice that as the sear drop in front of a hammer hook the nose of the part rotates up, raising and engaging the firing pin block.

When the trigger is pulled the rear of the trigger bar rises...SA or DA. At some point the two legs on the rear of the trigger bar engage two lower legs on the sear and begin to rotate it. This causes the front arm on top of the sear to drop which allows the firing pin block to drop and free the firing pin so that when the sear disengages from the hooks the hammer hitting the firing pin can drive it forward and into the rim of a cartridge. Note that all of this like on a PPK is carefully timed. The PP pistols allow the gunsmith to adjust all of this for proper timing with nine slightly different decocking levers.

So how does this work on the P22 QD? There is still the same hammer, same hooks*, same sear, same trigger bar, etc. What is different is that Walther has modified the top of the breech block for the installation of a decocking lever. Let's say the hammer is cocked and you want to rotate the safety to safe. With the original pistol this did not decock the hammer but the safety drum did two things. First it physically blocked the fall of the hammer and a cam on top of it engaged a notch in the firing pin further blocking/locking it from forward movement. All carefully timed of course. But none of this dropped the cocked hammer. Enter the decocking lever.

What was installed was a small, spring loaded sliding lever with a slanting front nose. The rear of it sat in a slot against milled into the safety drum. As the drum is rotated from fire to safe the upper drum shoulder presses the decocking lever forward. As the lever moves forward it begins to press the firing pin block down. Remember, the block has been pressed up by the front arm of the sear where it blocks the firing pin. As the lever is pushed forward it progressively presses the firing pin block down, which presses the nose of the sear down, which lifts the rear engagement sear legs until the hammer is released. This again has to be carefully timed. Safety drum rotated enough to block the falling hammer from hitting the firing pin, cam on top of the drum engaging the firing pin also.

When I looked at my QD I noticed that the primary hammer hook had been factory lowered the max amt possible. Something I had been doing for quite a while to minimize creep and improve the trigger. I don't think Walther lowered the hook for the same reason. I might be wrong here. I think what the problem was is that the firing pin block being pressed down by the decocking lever simply could not reliably press the front arm of the sear down far enough to release the hammer. Simple cure....lower the primary hook so less movement was required for the sear to drop the hammer. Mine works fine although I don't really find it of any benefit since the small pistol with an exposed hammer is so easy to thumb down.

For some reason Walther dropped the whole idea.....why????? Problems with tolerances, added cost for no real benefit....they haven't said and I have no idea but I don't consider it a big loss to the pistol. I didn't particularly like having to place the lever in the fire position before manually cocking the hammer. I'd rather cock the hammer with the safety on then flip the lever just before I'm ready to shoot. I did a thread on all of this complete with photos.......so, Nevada....there is no telling where the issue was if your pistol was a QD model. 1917

QD breech block showing decocking lever and associated spring.

Three breech block designs above. The original on the right did not have a support for the front of the firing pin which lead so some pins breaking. The middle breech block is essentially the same but note the block of steel that was added to narrow the front of the channel and better support/guide the firing pin. And on the left the QD breech block. Note that the rear has been widened to accommodate the decocking lever, the block has been changed to accommodate a small spring and that the alignment of the nose of the lever rides against the uppermost portion of the firing pin block. You can imagine that as the safety drum forces the lever forward the slanting portion presses the decocking lever down and against the nose of the sear. And that is how the part works.......why it was dropped?????????? beats me.

There is one thing that I really liked that came out of this whole decocker adventure....Walther did a beautiful job of lowering the primary hook as shown above....saving me from having to do it to my pistols. The original hooks stood quite a bit taller which can introduce creep into the trigger as well as unnecessary pull distance. Of course this is a plinker and probably a first semi auto pistol for many shooters so a bit more safety might be in order. I haven't looked at one lately....does the primary hook still look like that with a cocked hammer?

Last edited by 1917-1911M; 09-14-2021 at 12:06 PM.