Another Stevens Favorite - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-03-2021, 10:38 AM
bg7m

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another Stevens Favorite

I bought what was supposed to be a complete Favorite action from a guy on a forum.
When I got it, it had about 1/4" lever droop and the lever would completely fall when I pulled the hammer back.
After disassembling I found a flat spring broken(I taped it together) shown in photo.
The lever has a notch shown by arrow.
I cant understand the relationship between the lever and flat spring.
I suspect these parts are from different models???
Attached Images
File Type: png STEVENS3.png (389.6 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by bg7m; 02-04-2021 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:01 PM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Hi there, judging by the mainspring I'm guessing you have a 1889/early 1894 model. I don't believe that broken spring shown goes in that rifle. I went through my early 1894 a couple years ago in this thread https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=992281

I too had a droopy lever and a replacement link fixed most of it. Jack First shows them in stock.
https://jack-first-gun-parts.myshopi...gle-shot-rifle

TFrank ought to be along shortly, he's one of our resident experts.

Frank
Old 02-04-2021, 07:30 PM
tfrank
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The lever looks correct...

The lever looks correct, except for the notch that you pointed out. The take down screw looks like an 1894 model take down screw. I see a short screw... is that what was holding the spring or spring fragment?? Where is there a hole in the receiver that the screw was installed in??? Or were parts just floating around inside the receiver???
I have been sitting here studying those parts and trying to visualize how that spring could have been used to prevent lever droop and I can't seem to make thing fit. I know that the 922 Hopkins & Allen has a vee shaped spring that is attached to the inside of the receiver under where the barrel ends. And that spring definitely keeps the lever from drooping.
Can you take more pictures, particularly of the inside of the receiver if there are "extra" holes inside the receiver that didn't have anything threaded into them.
God Bless, Frank.

Last edited by tfrank; 02-04-2021 at 07:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2021, 08:05 PM
bg7m

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfrank View Post
The lever looks correct, except for the notch that you pointed out. The take down screw looks like an 1894 model take down screw. I see a short screw... is that what was holding the spring or spring fragment?? Where is there a hole in the receiver that the screw was installed in??? Or were parts just floating around inside the receiver???
I have been sitting here studying those parts and trying to visualize how that spring could have been used to prevent lever droop and I can't seem to make thing fit. I know that the 922 Hopkins & Allen has a vee shaped spring that is attached to the inside of the receiver under where the barrel ends. And that spring definitely keeps the lever from drooping.
Can you take more pictures, particularly of the inside of the receiver if there are "extra" holes inside the receiver that didn't have anything threaded into them.
God Bless, Frank.
Yes, the small screw held the flat piece inside the action.
I have made a link to solve the droop problem
Old 02-04-2021, 08:08 PM
bg7m

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
disassembled parts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stevensdisassemble.JPG (58.6 KB, 61 views)