Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:39 PM
ELmanny

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7m View Post
i have a 64 with 16" heavy fluted barrel, very accurate and no problems with it except the short mag release
I thought the short barrel looked odd, so I made a 2 1/2" brake for it.
And how do you post pictures?
Old 01-14-2021, 05:27 AM
bg7m

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELmanny View Post
And how do you post pictures?
No, I didnt change the charging handle
here is the link to post photos

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...ad.php?t=57932
Old 01-14-2021, 10:52 AM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up Savage 'Upgrades'

Hi guys - I've seen this thread for a while and decided to add a bit. I've done several things to my 64 to improve functions. Pics for all are below.
First since you're focused on the charging handle and mag release, I took an 1" self-tapping bolt - 1/4" I think - and rounded the hex head on a grinder. Then I took a 3/8" nut and rounded the hex on this and slipped that on the bolt, so it's loosely moving. The bolt then is screwed the existing charging handle. It's stayed there for about 5 years now.
For the mag release, I drilled the existing release with a vertical hole, most of the way thru. I forget the size but it is to insert a short bit of coat-hanger wire, about 3/4" long, with a 45* bend toward the front. I secured it with a bit of JB weld which 'softened' the contour. This too has stayed in place for about 5 years and works easily w/o sticking out so far like the DIP release.
I also 'relieved' the mag well, stock area, and bottom metal to improve mag insertion. Just a lot of hand filing so I wouldn't take off too much w- a Dremel.
I got the MCarbo spring kit which helped the trigger pull, but the used a bit of 'clik-pen' spring (about 1/3 of one) on the trigger return. These two 'spring mods' took off about 2# pull. I lightly 'polished' ALL internal parts (including the Sear Pin AND Hole -see Pic) to reduce friction, careful NOT to change any critical angles like the Sear contact area. The trigger now is around 2-3#, fine for a plinker.
Last, I'd suggest that you load a snap-cap as last round in your mags, to avoid 'dry-fire' damage to the firing pin if you lose count like I do. I can get by with 9-rounds and I usually just load for 5-round groups anyway . That took me a year or so to figure out, after ruining a pin. Luckily, Savage sent me a new one when I called them.
I hope this can help you all a bit -I know it looks Bubba, but saved me about $100 or more AND helped to 'feel' something more than spending $$. YMMV Last pic of my rifle - came with flash suppressor - Not a Can !
I can now shoot under 1" @ 50yds with 'Average' ammo like CCI-SV or SK+, using a 4-12x40 Tasco scope. *If I take my time* - it's hard to control Fun

Charging Handle
[IMG][/IMG]

Mag Release & Mag well
[IMG][/IMG]

Better pic of Mag Release
[IMG][/IMG]

SAME
[IMG][/IMG]

Trigger Return 'Clik-pen' Spring
[IMG][/IMG]

Sear Polished #1
[IMG][/IMG]

Sear Polished #2
[IMG][/IMG]

Savage 64 pic
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Fasteddie01; 01-14-2021 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:55 PM
bg7m

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is what I like to see.
Simple solutions with a little work.
I'll be doing the mag release like yours and will post some pics of my 64 after It has been bubbafied by me.
Thanks for the photos

Last edited by bg7m; 01-14-2021 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:50 PM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Glad to hear you liked it. I've got some other posts about this and mods of other rimfires - a Marlin-60 and Savage B-22. If you're interested you can search my posts. The mod for opening up the mag well makes for fast mag changes -I have 6 so it matters, till I have to reload them I found a mag pouch for 6 x .45s that holds the 64s quite well. And the flash hider threads would accept a 'can' except I'm in Can't-ada where we can't even get licenses for them. I shoot a lot of SV for accuracy, but it often doesn't have the juice to fully cycle and catches empties b4 they get away. At lease it makes it easier to police the range when I'm done - they're not 20 feet away
Good luck with you're mods;
Ed
Old 01-15-2021, 12:04 PM
bg7m

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Inspired by the mag release by fasteddie01, I drilled and taped 4-40 thread in the mag release on my 64 and made a screw out of a 1/4" stainless rod.
Works great and an easy fix.
I made a muzzle brake a while ago as seen in the pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg savage64screw.jpg (217.0 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg savage64.jpg (167.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-15-2021, 07:07 PM
tlhodgson
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The 64 is a fun little rifle, and I've always had good luck with mine. I own three of them now, two of which I built up from parts.

I recommend the DIP picatinny rail too for those of you with receivers which aren't drilled and tapped.

I've tried to think of ways to improve the magazine situation on the rifle, including how to fit a 10/22 mag to the rifle. My conclusion on that particular project is that it's probably do-able, but would require some pretty extensive mods including removing metal from the bottom of the receiver to allow a 10/22 mag to sit high enough for the bolt to chamber a round. Obviously a new mag housing would have to be designed, which I would think is easily done by someone who is handy with a 3-D printer. That in turn would require mods to the stock to accommodate the wider magazine.

Another option is to design a double stack version of the mag. Still working on that idea, but I would think it could retain the top end of the current magazine and widen out at the point below the receiver. Would still require a new mag housing though.

In the end, I think what I'll do is try to modify a standard 10-roound mag into a 5 rounder to make it more flush fitting with the stock. I'm not terribly interested in capacity.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:38 PM
berettaprofessor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You are all just a bunch of Bubba enablers!

Inspired by fasteddie01 and bg7m, I did the mag release modification on my Savage 64 Takedown today. Drilled it 0.550" deep with a 5/64 drill bit, tapped with a 4-40, and placed in a 4-40 screw with a little added purple locktite. The whole time during drilling was expecting the mag release to split or break, but it was perfect! The mag release is much easier to work now and the mags drop free! Thanks guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5564 sm.jpg (393.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5566 sm.jpg (319.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 01-24-2021, 02:05 PM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up NIce work !!

bg & profesor - Nice work on the mag releases. - now to 'relieve' the mag well to simplify mag insertion Opening and tapering the sides made it much easier to do without looking down. The MCarbo sear spring and 'bic-pen' return spring, along with polishing internals, has got my trigger down around 2# or so. I just last nite hung a light under the barrel, with a pressure switch back at my right thumb and a ranger band holding the wire to the stock. I'll post a pic later
Old 01-24-2021, 05:54 PM
jht22
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I had my 64, I did the same thing. For the charge handle I used a small nut driver socket that had a step down that fit into the original and was the same size exterior. A slab of JB Weld to hold it in place, and it's GTG.
Drilled a hole for a screw in the mag release, screwed a screw and then covered with JB and then ground, filed, etc. into a decent shape for a release. I could never get past the first couple rounds without a jam or 3, shot great after those first few with every mag; and I had 10 of them.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:23 PM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up Mag "fixes" for 64s

Yes, I had similar probs with my mags after the first few hundred rounds. I "polished" the feed lips and feed ramps which helped a bit, but finally realized that the back of the mags needed "adjusting". I added a bit of JB weld then filed them until they were 'really snug' and that fixed my probs. The ones w/o file marks were OK as-is, but you can see that the others needed about 1/4'' or so. I've got 6 mags and I load only 7-8 and put a snap cap in first so when I lose count I'm not dry firing. I ruined a firing pin before I realized what that prob was, but Savage sent me a couple FREE repls when I called to complain. Kudos for Savage Customer service lady.
Hope you guys are finding some ammo down there. I'm in NE Canada, near PEI. BassPro and Wallys have almost none, and I 'cleaned out' my LGS of all his 'medium grade' .22 like SK+ and CCI-SV. Got it for 'regular price' too I've got over 10K of 22 now - good for a couple years
Here's the mag "fix" pic.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-03-2021, 07:03 AM
rfd
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezgunner View Post
I have a savage 64 with a 20 round magazine I made myself. No feeding issues at all.
Still waiting to see how ya made the 20 round mag .... ??????
Old 02-08-2021, 03:11 PM
jht22
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfd View Post
Still waiting to see how ya made the 20 round mag .... ??????
Good Luck with that!!!
Old 02-08-2021, 03:27 PM
rfd
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounding more like fake news ....
Old 05-23-2021, 09:19 AM
2Fatal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello everyone & anyone whom reads this

But my trigger is completely messed up I have been searching for a MCarbo Trigger not the trigger spring kit but the aluminum trigger but the only places they have them in is Canada. If anyone can help me find one in the states or help me get one from Canada. I can assure you I can refund every single last penny. So please if someone can help I'd greatly appreciate it