Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-24-2020, 08:47 AM
bg7m

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Savage Mark II

My Savage is probably the most accurate 22lr i've ever owned.
From a cold barrel it always shoots about 3/4" to the right for the first shot, with the other four shots almost the same hole(if I do my part), from about 45 yards.

Put a Vortex Viper 4-16x50 AO scope, which is very good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mk11.jpg (305.3 KB, 413 views)
File Type: jpg mkii2.jpg (170.3 KB, 425 views)

Last edited by bg7m; 10-24-2020 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:58 AM
Kirby
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[QUOTE=bg7m;12067465]My Savage is probably the most accurate 22lr i've ever owned.
From a cold barrel it always shoots about 3/4" to the right for the first shot, with the other four shots almost the same hole(if I do my part), from about 45 yards.
Anyone else experience something like this?
Put a Vortex Viper 4-16x50 AO scope, which is very good.[/QUOTE

My Mark II BV acts the same way and it is also the most accurate .22 I've owned. In fact, my A22 also acts the same way - first 3 or 4 rounds are all over the place. Something about a cold barrel that I don't completely understand. Never heard of it until I started shooting Benchrest and Tactical matches - fellow shooters told me about it.

I hate to waste ammo but before a session I fire 3 or 4 shots downrange first. In benchrest matches I always use the top target for warm up before shooting for score.

I'm using the same ammo as you are.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:04 AM
Kirby

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7m View Post
Put a Vortex Viper 4-16x50 AO scope, which is very good.
Just looked up your scope - very nice but out of my price range. I'm using a Nikon Pro Rimfire 3-9 x40.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2020, 10:28 AM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's nice to hear you got a good one. I didn't.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:56 AM
bg7m

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
Just looked up your scope - very nice but out of my price range. I'm using a Nikon Pro Rimfire 3-9 x40.
I dont have deep pockets but any scope money I have goes for another Vortex.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:24 PM
tlhodgson
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
bg7m, and Kirby, are you guys cleaning your bores between each range session? I'm trying to figure out what might account for the initial erratic accuracy, and I'm wondering if it might be something about firing from a freshly cleaned bore that might be the issue. My MkIIs are also very accurate, but I don't experience what you guys are.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:36 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Put a piece of bicycle inner tube under the barrel, about where the sling stud is. And your cold bore flyers may go away.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:16 AM
doublechaz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I used to clean mine every time I fired it. The first shot post cleaning would be 1 to 1.3 inches high. Now I typically fire one or two shots after cleaning and before I want to take a shot that counts.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:39 AM
bg7m

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhodgson View Post
bg7m, and Kirby, are you guys cleaning your bores between each range session? I'm trying to figure out what might account for the initial erratic accuracy, and I'm wondering if it might be something about firing from a freshly cleaned bore that might be the issue. My MkIIs are also very accurate, but I don't experience what you guys are.
I very rarely clean the bore.
I have probably shot 2K rounds through this rifle.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:08 AM
12Bravo
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For you guys having the cold bore flyers.

Is the barrel free floated?

Are the action screws properly torqued?

Are you shooting the sporter barrel or the heavy varmint barrel?

The reason I ask is that I have two MkII rifles with the varmint barrels and I don't usually get the cold bore flyers with either. One is a pre E receiver GLV in 17m2 and the other is an E receiver BTVLSS in 22lr.

I made sure that the barrels are free floated on both rifles and I always torque teh action screws to 15 inch pounds with a torque wrench.

We all know how one can take two rifles right from the assembly line and both will shoot differently and/or prefer different ammo.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:11 AM
Kirby

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhodgson View Post
I can't explain it scientifically but I think it has to do with the carbon build up in the barrel. When the barrel is cold the carbon is hard and grabs the bullet. After a few rounds it softens up. A completely clean barrel is too loose and needs a little carbon so I waste 5 round before I shoot for score.

That's what other shooter have told me. I don't know if they're full of crap or not but to answer your question I only clean the bore in the chamber after every session. If I have fail to extract problems during the match I clean the chamber bore with a quick scrub. I do a complete cleaning every 3rd or 4th session or sooner when accuracy starts to suffer. The rifle "talks" to me!! At my last Benchrest match I shot a 780 out of 800. 50 yards was 394 with 17X's and 100 yards was 386 with 10X's. No excuses but a gusty 5MPH crosswind at 100 yards was a pain to deal with. My cleaning procedure works for me.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:19 AM
rep314
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MKII

Jumping in . . . My MKII FVSR with Viper Crossfire II 6-24 50, bipod, rear bag, cheek riser, and pound of Duct Seal in the stock has multiple thousands of round down range. It is scrubbed clean after every range trip with VGF pellets soaked in Hoppes 9 and same with VGF paste and .243 cal. Brass brush in chamber area. I never see carbon ring, I never see first shot flyers, and I do see 1 to 1 1/2 moa out to 75 yards using CCI Std and nearly as good with CCI Velocitors, Mini Mags, and Blazers, And, yes, CCI Std ammo will not eject worth a %%%% no matter what I try.
Conversely my Rem 580 never has a first round flyer either , clean or dirty, bulk ammo or fancy stuff, hot or old, right or left.
It is also cleaned every time out.
Clean your bore, clean you lead/chamber it works.
Old 11-14-2020, 01:24 PM
vet6771

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You guys are all wet! Everyone knows it's the phases of the moon and whether you started you day with decaf coffee or high test that determines where that first shot will go.
Old 11-14-2020, 06:00 PM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just a guess . . .

Just a guess for those of you having FTE issues- I read about this on some forum that an 'older gunsmith' (don't know how old the poster was ) took the extractor 'hooks' and sharpened them with a polishing stone, just a bit to make them grip the rim. Less is more ?? I've got a B22 with only 4-500 rounds so far so haven't seen this problem . . . yet ^O^

I do concur with the 'carbon ring' issue. I have a Teslong borescope and have found 'the ring' on my older Sav-64. I cleaned often but never knew that there could be build-up at the chamber cone/leade, and the 64 is difficult to clean unless you take it fully apart (which I did) and also know to brush out the chamber. I've found (this Spring) that Boretech C4 Carbon Solvent is a lifesaver - I don't have to scrub the brush (less wear), just apply and let it soak 15 min or so, then proceed with normal cleaning. That borescope is a wonder, for only about $70 !

Last edited by Fasteddie01; 11-14-2020 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-14-2020, 06:10 PM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Forgot to say - there are lots of threads on many forums about the 'Carbon Ring' - just google-search and you'll see lots. Interesting subject, seems only to appear after several hundred rounds but especially with 'dirty ammo' like Aguila and Rem bulk.