OK to install rimfire technologies trigger in plastic housing? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:29 AM
Nedsled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK to install rimfire technologies trigger in plastic housing?

Acquired a RT trigger (just the trigger and torsion spring). No instructions.
I am wondering about the set screw install for the torsion trigger return spring.

Is it ok to install the set screw in the thin plastic BX housing? Worried if the plastic is strong enough where the set screw usually goes.

Also, can it be a smaller set screw (like 4-40 or 6-32 )? I think normally they are bigger but maybe with smaller one there will be more threads engaged in the thin plastic when it is tapped. Plus those are the only taps and set screws I have lying around.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2018, 11:33 AM
shepmankev

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
I have done 2 of them in the plastic housing. I don’t remember what size set screw I used but I actually have one out right now and can email you a pic if you want a general idea of location for the set screw.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:50 PM
rawhp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedsled View Post
Acquired a RT trigger (just the trigger and torsion spring). No instructions.
I am wondering about the set screw install for the torsion trigger return spring.

Is it ok to install the set screw in the thin plastic BX housing? Worried if the plastic is strong enough where the set screw usually goes.

Also, can it be a smaller set screw (like 4-40 or 6-32 )? I think normally they are bigger but maybe with smaller one there will be more threads engaged in the thin plastic when it is tapped. Plus those are the only taps and set screws I have lying around.

Thanks
I use an 8-32, 1/4" long, since the drill/tap is a common size. I've used the same size, but 3/8" for overtravel stops on two other triggers, and they are subject to a lot more force than a little trigger spring, so no issues; just use a drop of blue loctite. Given the two you mentioned, I'd go with the coarser thread, since the spring has a good place the rest, in between the flanks.

Brimstone looks like he may use larger than #8, just eyeballing the video:
https://youtu.be/4LUGnuJ0FG4

Last edited by rawhp; 02-18-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2018, 01:57 PM
Nedsled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Actually never mind. The bx disconnect/sear won't fit in the RT trigger. Making it all fit is beyond my skill set and toolbox ATM.

Thanks though!
Old 02-21-2018, 01:27 AM
Brimstone
RFC Sponsor
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Just FYI, we bought the rights to the RT triggers, both conventional and BX (which they developed with us originally) and we sell a drop in kit with trigger, springs, screws, drill, and taps all ready to go for the standard and BX triggers

Your eyeballs were spot on, we use a #10 set screw for that and the overtravel stop. I dunno, we’ve done thousands of those and never had an issue with the threads pulling out. There’s very little pressure on it. Really you were right on all around, 1/4 and 3/8 are the lengths we use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or find us on Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/BrimstoneGunsmithing
Old 02-21-2018, 02:25 AM
Nedsled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
FYI I ended up doing the bobby pin thing on the stock BX trigger. That was the main reason for the RT trigger idea, I wanted to get rid of the trigger plunger that added some grit to an otherwise pretty darn good bx.

Will see how long it holds up.