Fair price ? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I believe Alan Aronstein (formerly of Houston Texas High Standard Co.) has only admitted to one such failure. Did the shown gun get abused with High or Hyper Velocity ammo and/or not get regular recoil spring replacements? Since the gun shown is blued, it is probably an earlier version. The last versions had stainless steel frames. Did that help? I don't know. The problem is the design has a stress raiser in the original Connecticut Hi Std design. If the TX Hi Std design was to create an exact clone (??) then the stress riser has to remain in the design, I guess. Maybe the better steels reduce the possibility of the crack. But nothing, short of a different design, eliminates it. Only Standard Velocity ammo and regular recoil spring replacement also minimizes the risk of the crack.

In looking at the picture it seems to me that the cross sectional area where the crack appears is rather thin. Is that the reason the stress is able to crack the frame? To increase that area (cross section) you'd have to widen the frame and then it would not be an exact clone but heavier and bulkier.

The bottom line is don't abuse the gun and it may not crack. Remember that on these guns not abused, the crack rate is nearly zero.

LDBennett
Old Yesterday, 08:23 AM
HSWayne
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
cracked Houston gun

Since High Standard of Houston only produced about 5,000 High Standard pistols over the 23 or 24 years of its existence, 1 crack out of 5,000 may be similar to the frequency of cracked frames on Connecticut High Standard frames. Connecticut High Standard produced hundreds of thousands of pistols over the years of its existence. In addition, the Houston guns have likely not been used as much as the earlier guns.
Old Today, 11:05 AM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
HSWayne:

You are correct that the sample size for TX Hi Std guns is really too small compared to the Connecticut guns in order to make a direct comparison. But at least the frame metal was changed supposedly for a metal with better characteristics (???) when it comes to these kinds of failures. It still remains that you cannot just change metal to illuminate a stress riser design.

The bottom line is don't abuse the gun and you minimize the chances of the crack. Only death and taxes are absolutes.

There is no reason, in my opinion, to avoid buying and shooting these guns IF you don't abuse them. Their results justify to me that they are worth the risk, no matter how small or big it might be. They are tools to be used and replaced if broken or worn out. I do not subscribe to collecting guns to hide them in safes and not use them. They are not pieces of art but tools meant to be used.

Your opinions may differ and we all get to choose.

LDBennett

LDBennett