Anyone have problems using subsonic .22LR ammunition in an Anschütz ? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-07-2021, 05:01 PM
capeboer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question Anyone have problems using subsonic .22LR ammunition in an Anschütz ?

Evidently the factory does not recommended using it:

https://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/inde...y&FAQID=MjM%3D

Perhaps this is just ex abundanti cautela / avoiding potential liability.

Last edited by capeboer; 05-07-2021 at 05:04 PM. Reason: correction
Old 05-07-2021, 05:29 PM
arnie19
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Normally what we call sub sonic is about 1050 fps . There is some quiet ammo that is way below 1000 fps and can cause a problem so dont use those if your worried .
Old 05-07-2021, 05:36 PM
capeboer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, arnie19; that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2021, 07:02 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Standard velocity target ammo is subsonic -- below the speed of sound -- and is not what Anschutz refers to in the link.

Anschutz is referring to ammo that's often called "quiet" ammo because of it's relatively low power and noise.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:13 PM
capeboer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, Penage Guy; that is indeed encouraging.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:41 PM
stephen_maly

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
ammo

The "pop" you hear when you fire a gun (even many air rifles) is due to the bullet and/or gas exiting the muzzle faster than the speed of sound (about 1128 fps at sea level). Of course, a bullet will leave slower than the gas propelling it so it is possible for a sub-sonic projectile to make a "pop" upon exiting the barrel. If you use a silencer in conjunction with low velocity ammo, then you will probably only hear the click the trigger makes upon let-off. Consequently, you cannot be certain that a bullet has left the barrel, since you cannot hear it. Unless you check the barrel for obstructions after each firing you won't know for certain if it is clear. Low velocity ammo is much more likely to get stuck in a long rifle barrel and not be noticed. Expecting that shooters in general are not going to check their guns after each shot, Anschutz made the wise statement about the use of sub-920 fps ammo being forbidden (ie: voiding the warranty). The very few rounds I've run into where there was only the priming compound present, pushed the bullet into the barrel (but not out). The absence of a bullet in the casing, coupled with the absence of a report was the only indication of trouble. So in short, using quiet ammo safely is more involved than using non-quiet ammo.

Last edited by stephen_maly; 05-07-2021 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:53 PM
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The no powder primer driven only ammo is a no no ...

The ammo with only the primer driving it, like the Colabri and the CB Longs may not have the bullet leaving the barrel, so if you use it, do check to be sure there is no bullet inside the barrel. Very very quiet. I can be shooting in the basement right below my wife visiting with her friends and they never even know I am there. Virtually no noise at all.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:09 PM
capeboer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yup; not good at all if the first bullet never left the barrel . . .
Old 05-07-2021, 08:50 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
The ammo with only the primer driving it, like the Colabri and the CB Longs
CB Longs or CB Shorts have propellent added on top of their primers. Although CB's are below the velocity specified by Anschutz in the link provided, CCI CB Longs and Shorts are (710fps) .
Old 05-08-2021, 05:10 AM
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
? on CB Longs etc. ?

NIB: Could be that powder is added to the primer ? All I know is years ago the written word was that the Colabri and CB Longs were primer driven only. If the primer is extra strong to get the job done, I can understand that. I really doubt they have a two step process to add powder to the case after the primer has been added, but maybe they do. I do know I pulled bullets years ago and no powder came out of the case, but maybe things are different now. Why don't you pull some bullets from the ammo you have and report back as to what you find. Thanks. David