stolen gun serial numbers??? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:09 PM
mossbergnut

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
stolen gun serial numbers???

Does anybody know if there is a website that lists the serial numbers of stolen guns?? or where you could punch in the number and see if it was hot??
Old 10-31-2015, 05:13 PM
nvreloader
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have always contacted my local Sheriffs office or Police dept,
and have them run the Ser # thru NCIC,
then there is NO doubt,
and I am positive that I don't have a stolen weapon.

I just ask or tell them, that I am thinking about buying it etc.

A BIG headache for you, that you don't want to go thru etc,
as you could be in for some jail time, rig towed etc, etc,
for being in possession of stolen property.

I have had that same thing happen, many times while on patrol,
and it may ruin your day.

YMMV,

Tia,
Don
Old 10-31-2015, 05:28 PM
HighlandLofts
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Once I got a too good of a deal on a Browning 22 semi auto, I took the numbers to the local police station and had them run the numbers in the State Data Base, Came back clean.

That's where I'd start.

I have had a few guns stollen, I got back a Ruger P95 - 9mm semi and a Dan Wesson 357 Revolver. There are still a few out there, a Ruger BearCat 22 caliber revolver (I have the serial number), they also took a Ruger 77 with a Nikon Scope in 25-06 and a Springfield 9mm semi auto that has "Washington State Patrol" inscribed on it. I never took the serial numbers on these two guns, so I'll never get thm back.

I had the serial numbers on the Ruger P95 and the Dan Wesson.

Now I have two sets of Accusition/Dispossion Books with every gun in the collection written down, Make, Model, Caliber or Gauge, Where bought, Price paid, Date Bought, and Condition.

For the guns I have (old 22 caliber rifles, 410 shotguns and old single shot shotguns) that were made with out serial numbers I place a slipof paper under the butt plate with (STOLEN) Please call- with my contact information.

There isa home invasion every 22 seconds in the US, so there are thousands & thousands of guns stollen every day.

The numbers stack up really fast
One every 22 seconds,
Three in 1 minute 6 seconds,
1320 every hour,
31680 every day,
221,360 every week,
6,640.800 every year,
That's right over SIX AND A HALF MILLION HOME INVASIONS A YEAR!

You never know when YOUR DOOR will be kicked in, That's why I carry a handgun every minute I'm up at at it. I carry EVERYDAY?ALLDAY until it's bead time them my Smith & Wesson goes in the night stand until tomorrow morning.

Now my gun collection in locked up in gun safes, that are locked up in a large walk in closet upstairs with motion detector cameras.

Last edited by HighlandLofts; 10-31-2015 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:16 PM
mossbergnut

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
was curious if there is a simple way I could check in the event of a gun show buy...used gun in the paper....garage sale...some place I could run a check on a smart phone and be sure without having to take the time to go to my local sheriffs office..I KNOW nothing I have is hot, just don't want a good deal to slip away because of time wasted .
Old 10-31-2015, 09:50 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Only 11,000 stolen gun #s in this data base. http://www.hotgunz.com If speed is of essence good luck with that.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:09 AM
Rimfire Sports
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
Any FFL in VA can tell you if a particular gun is stolen. The VA State police provide dealers that have registered with them for background checks with the ability to check if a gun is stolen or not.

Rimfire Sports & Custom - RFC Sponsor
Old 11-01-2015, 06:35 AM
Burnside
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry for thread drift, but here are the statistics for property crime in the US according to the FBI.
https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...ement/burglary
Old 11-01-2015, 07:12 AM
Hoghead22
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossbergnut View Post
was curious if there is a simple way I could check in the event of a gun show buy...used gun in the paper....garage sale...some place I could run a check on a smart phone and be sure without having to take the time to go to my local sheriffs office..I KNOW nothing I have is hot, just don't want a good deal to slip away because of time wasted .
I am a FFL holder and have never used this service but have been told we must have the gun in question in our possession before calling. The reason being if the gun is stolen a Policeman shows up to confiscate the gun before they tell you whether it is stolen or not....
Old 11-01-2015, 07:30 AM
glockcollins

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Its as easy as getting the persons drivers license and getting them to sign a bill of sale to cover your butt.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:50 AM
ScoutGunner
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've gotten more up-to-date

You mentioned copying seller's drivers license and getting a receipt of sale.
I use my Iphone and take a picture of his driver's license for sure, and truck license plate.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:56 AM
robs9

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In CT, We have to transfer ownership through a FFL or call in to state to report it. If you don't and later on there's a problem, you could be accused of having a stolen gun. Copies of transfer paperwork get sent to local and state police. Both people's pistol carry permits, serial numbers and addresses are on this piece of paper.

SENT from: My KINDLE FIRE HD
Old 11-01-2015, 08:58 AM
jjfitch
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Post #10:

This only proves that you didn't intend to buy stolen merchandise. If it is recovered by police you have lost the gun and your money! Best to verify ownership before a large $$ purchase!

All the best,
Old 11-01-2015, 09:07 AM
98_1LE

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvreloader View Post
A BIG headache for you, that you don't want to go thru etc,
as you could be in for some jail time, rig towed etc, etc,
for being in possession of stolen property.

I have had that same thing happen, many times while on patrol,
and it may ruin your day.

YMMV,

Tia,
Don
That is a bit of an exaggeration Don. You simply won't find a DA that will file on possession of stolen property for a stolen gun purchased from an FFL. Furthermore I don't understand how a police officer on the side of the road, or in my home, would be logging S/N's anyway.

I'm all for not having stolen property in my possession, but the scary myths in the gun community bother me. It is very confusing for new shooters and makes it seem like some big trap. It needs to stop.

I'll sign a bill of sale, and the seller is free to take a photo of my license plate/vehicle, but I'm not letting a random person take a photocopy of my d/l.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:17 AM
Rob62
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
There are a few commercial web sites I have found which users can enter their stolen firearms serial numbers in.

However these sites are totally user dependent and quite frankly I would not trust the information posted there.

There is only ONE correct and accurate way to see if a firearm has been reported as stolen.

That way is for your local Law Enforcement Agency to check the NICS computer database for that information. Only LE (and Chinese hackers) have access to the NICS information.

I am not aware of a single agency that will do checks via a phone call only for a private party.

The agency will want you to physically bring the gun in to their offices. Usually during "normal" business hours. The firearm needs to be UNLOADED and fully CASED or at least it should be.

Checking the NICS database is a service that the agency does not have to provide for general information. However it's something that most will do as a curtesy for the public.

NOTE - if the firearm shows as being stolen it will be confiscated at that time without any compensation.

Regards,

Rob

Last edited by Rob62; 11-01-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:56 AM
ED3
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoutGunner View Post
You mentioned copying seller's drivers license and getting a receipt of sale.
I use my Iphone and take a picture of his driver's license for sure, and truck license plate.

I will not let a private party make a permanent record of my DL or other personal ID. ( Ihave no idea what you will do with that info, or where it might end up)
Buying or selling with a private party- I'll look at your DL or other .gov ID to establish residence, and your permit to purchase/ carry as due diligence to provide you're not a prohibited person, and you can look at mine. Beyond that, if there are trust issues: go to a FFL, or forget it.