Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:09 AM
CBennett21

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Red Dot on target pistol

Ok new to .22 Pistols(but not shooting been shooting centerfires for over 30 years). I only own 2 .22 pistols...well 1 Revolver a old H&R my Grandfather passed down to me and a S&W 22A..thats it..Ive shot them before shot plenty of Ruger Mk series my friends own but never owned one. Thats why im asking this question.

I plan, as a few have seen from other threads, to but myself a .22 "Target" pistol to try to get into some local indoor/outdoor bullseye/precision .22lr competitions they have locally(they dont shoot the full thing just use rimfires...in the summer its outdoors when it gets cold they move it indoors).

I want to be able to mount a red dot on this gun easily. Im not getting any younger(50 this year)and my eyes in the last 3-4 years have started their aging process...which im sure wont get better only worse..right now im wearing glasses for reading...but im sure that and am starting to see within a short time I may need them full time..Thus the want to be able to mount a red dot.

What ive been running into(and discussing with some board members that have been VERY helpful so far) is in many of the guns im looking at with my $1200 max budget are either hard to mount red dots to, require a additional(sometimes $$$$$ mount) OR you have to keep taking the red dot off the gun to clean it/break it down for cleaning thus requiring to re-zero when you put it back on after cleaning..

What are the Target guns in my $$ range that you can take apart and clean WITHOUT messing up the zero of the red dot optic? the only ones so far ive come up with are S&W Model 41, Volquartsen Scorpion, Rugers(Frankenrugers)...Anything else?? seemingly all the others I think of need the red dot taken off and I dont want to rezero after every cleaning...
Old 01-13-2019, 01:02 PM
Carrij
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Mark IV 22/45 model 40107. I love the gun and upgraded as I have it still comes in way under your budget. Looking on the net today I found these prices for everything I bought for mine.

Mark IV 40107.............$325.00
Volquartsen trigger kit..$150.00
Burris Fastfire 3...........$180.00
Outer Impact red dot mt.$45.00
TK Charger ring.............$45.00
Hogue rubber finger grip.$40.00

Total spend for everything..$785.00

25 yards hand rested. Iím 72 so I tend to shake some.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:37 PM
Quick1
US Air Force Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Is your $1200 budget just for the gun, or for the whole package. If it is just for the gun, then go with a Ruger + some upgrades. I have a Ruger MkIII upgraded with a Burris FFIII which is great to shoot and pretty accurate.

If your budget is just for the gun, then look no further than the Volquartsen Scorpion. No upgrades needed, comes with the rail ready to go, and extremely accurate. I also have one of these with a Burris FFIII and it is by far my favorite 22 pistol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2019, 05:26 PM
CBennett21

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, just the gun I can always take the red dot off the S&W 22A it works decent the 22A just isnt the best . Looking at a few others like the Walther GSP .. Im just trying to figure which ones dont need to to take the red dot totally OFF the gun to clean it and thats hard to know with so many guns out there. Its like every time I think I see one I like...someone says hey you need to take the red dot off that every time you clean it lol ...i mean who wants to re-zero THAT much lol.

Last edited by CBennett21; 01-13-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:37 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The GSG guns are Zamak Zinc alloy guns, not steel and/or aluminum. Look up Zamak in Wikipedia. Again. with your budget and desires to compete, the S&W Model 41 is the best choice. The red dot can remain on the barrel during disassembly. be sure the Model 41 you choose is drilled and tapped for a optics mount (newer ones are. The accuracy is superb and the trigger is excellent out of the box. It is ready to compete right out of the box. Other choice that require modifications are not instantly out of the box ready to compete. Your current S&W 22 is twice the gun of any of the GSG choices you might make. That, of course, is my opinion.

I love red dots (the old shooter's friend) but the iron sights on the Model 41 are superb out of the box. If you can pick up some drug store reading glasses you may be able to find a magnification of those glasses that allows a better compromise of sharpness to the front sight and allow you to continue shooting with open sights if that is your desire.

LDBennett
Old 01-14-2019, 10:25 AM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
I've been shooting rimfire competition (and centerfire) for fifty years. I've owned dozens of guns during that time, some very expensive and some not so much. I've been using red dots for over twenty-five years and not because they were needed, but because they're better. My eyesight is still 20/20 L and 20/15 R. That all being said, for the money just buy the S&W 41. Everyone likes to buy a Ruger and add a lot of mods, bells, and whistles. They end up with a less expensive gun with a lot of added parts. Resale if ever is a loser. Buy the S&W and put a good red dot on it such as the Burris FF3 or a Vortex Venom. Each around two twenty-five. Both are excellent sights with lifetime warranties and virtually no parallax. You'll end up with a top notch gun with a great trigger and superb accuracy. It will go up in value over time based on its quality and its reputation as a quality, accurate gun. If you have the funds this is your best course of action. You will NEVER be sorry you got the S&W. FWIW, I shot competition with modified guns and did well. However, they simply don't retain their value and for what you're doing they won't work any better. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:39 PM
CBennett21

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBennett View Post
The GSG guns are Zamak Zinc alloy guns, not steel and/or aluminum. Look up Zamak in Wikipedia. Again. with your budget and desires to compete, the S&W Model 41 is the best choice. The red dot can remain on the barrel during disassembly. be sure the Model 41 you choose is drilled and tapped for a optics mount (newer ones are. The accuracy is superb and the trigger is excellent out of the box. It is ready to compete right out of the box. Other choice that require modifications are not instantly out of the box ready to compete. Your current S&W 22 is twice the gun of any of the GSG choices you might make. That, of course, is my opinion.

I love red dots (the old shooter's friend) but the iron sights on the Model 41 are superb out of the box. If you can pick up some drug store reading glasses you may be able to find a magnification of those glasses that allows a better compromise of sharpness to the front sight and allow you to continue shooting with open sights if that is your desire.

LDBennett
Yeah I guess thats what its coming down to....I love/hate that they are or at least used to be great guns..but the biggest thing I keep seeing about them is unreliability..well with seemingly all but 1 ammo and sometimes even thats iffy lol. if there is one that will be unreliable im the one that will get it thats just my life/luck.... Though I have seen a couple early 70's to 60's even that in the past someone tapped/drilled as they have red dots or scopes on them(gunbroker) so that may also be a option....in a gun thats older that everyone says I should look for.....thats been tapped in the past for a red dot/scope...whats the hit they should take..I know that probably HAS to lower value...what would someone(me) pay for something like that thats good but already tapped for scope ??

Last edited by CBennett21; 01-14-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:48 PM
CBennett21

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSecondBest View Post
I've been shooting rimfire competition (and centerfire) for fifty years. I've owned dozens of guns during that time, some very expensive and some not so much. I've been using red dots for over twenty-five years and not because they were needed, but because they're better. My eyesight is still 20/20 L and 20/15 R. That all being said, for the money just buy the S&W 41. Everyone likes to buy a Ruger and add a lot of mods, bells, and whistles. They end up with a less expensive gun with a lot of added parts. Resale if ever is a loser. Buy the S&W and put a good red dot on it such as the Burris FF3 or a Vortex Venom. Each around two twenty-five. Both are excellent sights with lifetime warranties and virtually no parallax. You'll end up with a top notch gun with a great trigger and superb accuracy. It will go up in value over time based on its quality and its reputation as a quality, accurate gun. If you have the funds this is your best course of action. You will NEVER be sorry you got the S&W. FWIW, I shot competition with modified guns and did well. However, they simply don't retain their value and for what you're doing they won't work any better. Good luck.
yeah I have a Vortex on my AR good stuff..a few id looked at(mostly gunbroker there hasnt been a Model 41 in a LGS in years at least 9 months+) even already have them on it...one was even a 60's model (which ive been told is preferable) with a Burris already mounted...something like that would be nice.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:04 PM
CBennett21

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks all im just gonna go with the S&W 41 and cross my fingers I get a good one.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:12 PM
poochie
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Go with the S & W 41. You will be happy with it. Good plain old stock guns (no added frills).
Old 01-14-2019, 08:22 PM
gregbenner

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBennett21 View Post
Thanks all im just gonna go with the S&W 41 and cross my fingers I get a good one.
Excellent choice. I love red dots, make bullseye shooting fun. If you are patient, you’ll find a really nice 41, with a decent red dot already mounted, for under $1200.

Here’s one from a Master level shooter on the Bullseye forum with 3 barrels.

http://www.bullseyeforum.net/t11256-...41-w-3-barrels

Last edited by gregbenner; 01-14-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:02 PM
CBennett21

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poochie View Post
Go with the S & W 41. You will be happy with it. Good plain old stock guns (no added frills).
Yeah out of the ones I was looking at it seems to meet most of my criteria

-easily mount a red dot.
-Parts/service are available still
-accurate..probably more so than me
-something I can hand down to my son in hopefully 25-30 years or so and will have held or possibly gained value..

and from all the research the only thing I see as a POSSIBLE and thats not even a given but its the thing I found the most about the 41 thats on the negative side is

- Possible Reliability issues
-Ammo finicky
Old 01-15-2019, 10:07 PM
MajorD
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another very effective choice ( if you already happen to have a 1911) is the high quality marvel conversion kit in.22 which is available with a scope rail option
Old 01-16-2019, 07:13 AM
CBennett21

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorD View Post
Another very effective choice ( if you already happen to have a 1911) is the high quality marvel conversion kit in.22 which is available with a scope rail option
Unfortunately no, no 1911...When I started a quest for a nice retirement present for myself there were 3 guns on the list

1. 1911 which probably would have ended up being a Dan Wesson
2. A CZ Tactical Sport 9mm
3. A VERY nice .22 pistol

In the end it really ended up coming down to shooting and what i could shoot most/more and that was either the 9mm or .22 .45 ACP just too much $$ to dhoot a lot of..

So I just love .22 shooting in general(mostly bolt action .22's) but my wife loves taking the 22A Pistol out to the range I cant keep mags loaded... So nice .22 it was

Im just hoping the S&W isnt too heavy for her that was my only real thought
Old 01-16-2019, 07:33 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CBennet21:

Since you have no plans of expanding your arsenal, the "better" 22 makes the most sense. But beware!!!

I started with a little 380 carry gun (AMT) with no plans of any other guns. Saw a nice 9mm then a 38/357 and on and on. Today, some 30 years later, I have four safes, each stuffed full, of guns, all kinds of guns. Its an addiction!! but a fun one.

As 22 pistols go, the 22A is rather light for an all metal gun. My adult daughter is a gun nut and one of her favorites is her S&W 22A. I have the 22S (all stainless version) which is a bit heavier. She used it for a time with no complaints. All guns seem heavy at first until you practice and practice even more. Then the weight is found to help steady the gun during firing and reduce the felt recoil. As an aside, she has her own collection of guns too. Her husband is a military guns collector and has many military guns along with many modern guns. SEE....ADDICTION!

LDBennett