.22 WSM When? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:00 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastshot View Post
Ha!!! With YOUR knees??? I would PAY to see that!!!
You'd have to cover your ears.

With some searching and testing there is excellent ammo available for most calibers out there B23. No prairie dogs here so my hunting ammo lasts way longer than I like. With brutal winters of 15' of snowfall or more, -30˚, and no indoors ranges within range its a waste of my time to take up a time consuming hobby for such little reward when fishing season comes around. JMO YMMV ETC If I want to make a lot of noise I shoot fireworks at lawn crapping geese when there's too many witnesses to do the job correctly.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:37 PM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
With some searching and testing there is excellent ammo available for most calibers out there B23.
Hmm, "excellent" may be stretching it just a little but some are definitely better than others.

Results PGW_Steve got with some of that "excellent" ammo. LOL

Some resultsCCI A17 17 gr (18 shots recorded with Labradar Doppler chronograph)
AVG: 2789
High: 2862
Low: 2677
ES: 185
SD: 48.2
Old 06-07-2016, 10:21 PM
PGW_Steve

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yeah that stuff stinks!!! I wish I hadn't shot with a chronograph, the paper targets seemed decent. I want to do a more extensive test with multiple brands of all rimfire calibres.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2016, 01:40 AM
Lastshot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I reload, but shoot stuff that you can't get at Cabela's!! It is kinda addicting. On top of being fun.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:28 AM
Ledslnger

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marv119 View Post
I absolutely agree. I have tried to warm up to the savage but just can't go there. The ruger is OK but every 77 ruger I have owned has been so so as far as accuracy goes. Then I haven't seen a ruger with a heavy barrel yet if one is made. I have been looking at a cz 527 in 17 hornet but really want a rimfire. The cost of a good rifle is secondary to me compared to quality. So the wait is on for me. Hope the round doesn't die like the mach 2 before a good rifle comes my way.
I saw a Ruger with what I would consider a heavy barrel. Definitely not a sporter weight. It was a nice rifle IMO. I have a 527 in .17 Hornet so I won't be picking one up. But, I do appreciate the WSM. It is by far a better deal than the HMR. For only $1 more roughly you get a lot more performance. Since they had to come up with basically new machines to produce this ammo I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon. They can't produce an alternate ammo with it like they can with the m2, so they won't do one or limited runs of it during the year.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:13 AM
jagerman

TPC Rating: 
50% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalman1 View Post
I would take one home...the only problem with the 17 Super mag was the way the rifle was introduced...Now if it was me driving this new caliber to the guys who already had a have a dozen rifles and wanted some thing special...If I was in charge of Savage at the time then I would have made the rifle some thing guys would love to add to there collection. I would have been made into a rifle with a long blue medium weight barrel and a beautiful walnut stock and scope mounts all ready to go. some like this is what I had in mind for the world fastest rim fire cartridge.

I would like to see CZ get involved with this...Ruger, Marlin or even Savage but you can't bring out a cheap plastic, thin barrel, rifle that makes a 10/22 look like a million bucks to the public. Give me a polished blue barrel even a target barrel with real wood and I would pay $500 for all day long. I was so excited about the round until I saw the rifle with the bolt that hits your index finger every time you reach to pull the trigger and the cheap plastic stock...it was a NO...30 seconds after I handled it. Thank goodness Savage has made some changes now...but that should have been the way it was from the start...not an after thought.

The Super Mag in my opinion is not for the 13 year old kid with his first rifle...it should be for the season hunter that wants that little extra. I just hope the next super mag if its a 20 or 22 caliber that they do it right this time.

Sorry don't shoot me...I want one to and if it takes $500 to buy one then so be it. Give it that WOW factor right from the start and they will not make enough of them to keep up with the demand.

Signalman

Design a new gun that takes more to make than any other rimfire. Plus blue it and have walnut for 500 I think your unrealistic.

To answer the original post .. I don't consider the 17wsm a hit so I doubt there is a 22 coming.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:42 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We already have the 17 HMR and a 22 WMR, instead of doing the 17 WSM, I think a 20 WSM loaded with Hornady's 24gr NTX bullet would have been a better choice.

Would have been lead free, had a 5.5% better BC, 20% more bullet weight, and shot nearly, if not, the same velocity.

And, would have created more separation and distinguished itself from any other rimfire currently on the market. I talk to people quite often that still don't realize there's a significant difference between the 17 HMR and 17 WSM, especially since CCI has come out with the A17 ammo. I was with my dad and a friend of his about six weeks ago, my dad made a reference about my 17 WSM and his friend thought we were talking about the new 17 HMR ammo that shoots 100fps faster. I'm still not quite sure he understands the 17 WSM is an entirely different cartridge. lol

I doubt it'll ever happen but I'd be thrilled to see a 20 WSM loaded with the 24gr NTX bullet. My Bmag would be getting fitted for a new .20cal barrel lickity split if they ever did though.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:17 PM
Glass37
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fitting would consist of unscrew old barrel, screw in 20WSM barrel,set headspace and sight in.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:32 PM
Hunterhank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
We already have a 20 wsm. It called Remington 5mm rimfire magnum. Get Ruger to build one and Hornady to make the ammo.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:56 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterhank View Post
We already have a 20 wsm. It called Remington 5mm rimfire magnum. Get Ruger to build one and Hornady to make the ammo.
True, a 5mm with modern bullets would be great but you have to remember Winchester, not Remington, is who developed the WSM and with the rimfire WSM case being a little bigger and just enough difference between the two, Winchester probably could got away with a 20 WSM and avoided any potential lawsuit from Remington.

But, if someone starts making 5mm ammo with the Hornady 24gr NTX bullet that shoots close to 3000 FPS, I'd gladly put one of those barrels on.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:42 PM
Glass37
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remington seems to prefer erasing anything 5mm from their corporate memory, but isn't the patent expired by now?
Centurion 5mm varmint was 2500+fps, a WSM cased 5mm 30gr or slightly more should tickle 2900fps. Sorry, make that 20WSM,
B Mags could be switch barrel rifles, sure would make up for the sputtering 17WSM B Mag rollout.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:19 PM
Bionicman
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All singing the same song, they should have gone 20 & 22 and sorted the darn rifles out before release. I don't know if the whole will fall over got a feeling it will and that would be very sad because the idea is a great one

John
Old 06-09-2016, 09:00 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass37 View Post
Remington seems to prefer erasing anything 5mm from their corporate memory, but isn't the patent expired by now?
Centurion 5mm varmint was 2500+fps, a WSM cased 5mm 30gr or slightly more should tickle 2900fps. Sorry, make that 20WSM,
B Mags could be switch barrel rifles, sure would make up for the sputtering 17WSM B Mag rollout.
With the poor 'thought thru' put into the B.Mag and Ruger 17WSMs, pricy AR and VQ, the market would be even more anemic and wary of anything new along the rf line for now methinks but what do I know.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:29 PM
Lastshot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
With the poor 'thought thru' put into the B.Mag and Ruger 17WSMs, pricy AR and VQ, the market would be even more anemic and wary of anything new along the rf line for now methinks but what do I know.
Please don't quote this but Al is correct, and I totally agree with him!!! Ewwwww that tasted bad in my mouth!!
Old 06-10-2016, 09:26 AM
Glass37
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Probably not a very good time to bring out a 20WSM B Mag, but I will bet some engineers are having fun with such a caliber right now. It takes only a barrel for the B Mag and only less neck down of the case and a 20cal bullet and they have it for testing. They could do that on their breaks,for almost "0" dollars.