Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:46 PM
spiderman 52

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
.17s getting it done !!!

My son and I did some daytime coon calling this week. We had lots of walking and wading in hip boots but it was a good time. We got 5 one day and only one on another. I was using my .17 WSM and he used his HMR. Jim

Old 12-29-2014, 06:03 PM
hd833
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great huntin'. Glad for your 17 working out. I've sent back my skinny and hb ss. Replacement skinny is doing great!
Old 12-30-2014, 08:20 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice going and pictures! What WSM ammo are you using?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2014, 12:54 PM
spiderman 52

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm using the 20 grainers.... we get lots of close shots with most only 30 yards but all the way to kicking the coon as it runs by!!! I started with the 20s and then tried the 25s. The 25s were coming close to exiting on the close shots and I went back to the 20s. Tried the 25s again this year with same result so back to the 20s. No exit with them with any kind of direct hit . Any glancing hits will make a nasty cut . No exit even on head shots at 10 yards . Jim
Old 12-30-2014, 06:59 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool. humb: Thanks for the ballistics report.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:49 PM
shepmankev

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
How does the 17 hmr work on them? I have shot some with a 22 mag but yet to get one with the 17 and am curious how it will do.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:39 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepmankev View Post
How does the 17 hmr work on them? I have shot some with a 22 mag but yet to get one with the 17 and am curious how it will do.
I took one at 30 yds or so, head-on, center of chest with a Vmax and it ran about 20 yds. If given a choice I'd've used a TNT 20 grn but the Vmax was in the gun and the coon was an unplanned victim, er, target of opportunity. My very limited experience other than a few with a 22 in my youth and one with a .177 pellet gun.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:25 AM
spiderman 52

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The HMR works great . If he uses the jacketed hollow points they seem to always exit even traveling through lots of body . The ballistic tips do not exit and puts them down fast and hard . We head shoot mostly but shots behind the front leg will drop them from the tree fast and they are usually done when they hit the ground . The WSM does the same only more shock and awe for the coon . The shots , like I said , are not to long (longest so far 90 yards ) most 20 -30 yards and we key in on no pass throughs for sake of fur value . Coons are very tough and we get some large ones ( 20 -25 lbs ) so when they clear the hole they are coming out of , we hit them as soon as their hips clear the hole so they won't fall back into the hole . If you don't seal the deal with that shot , they will turn around and go back into the hole and not come out again and you will lose it . We used to use .22 mags but could not get consistent , not pass through , hits and got too much damage that ended up in money loss come fur sale day . We got 80 coons last year and we are on a little over 50 so far this year . We have hunted daytime calling for the last 4 years so we have quite a few coons down to make our decisions . We have lots of fun and learn something every time out . We skin them immediately in the woods and see the results , under the skin , of how the different rounds have performed . Jim
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-31-2014, 09:31 AM
tbates66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My bro-in-law had an infestation of coons and asked me to help him get rid of some. I used my 17HMR and he uses a .22 mag. Both rifles produced quick, clean, one-shot kills. We killed about 20 0f them.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:33 AM
shepmankev

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Glad to hear that about the hmr thanks