.17 Hornet - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:36 PM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

http://www.missouriwhitetails.com/fo...php?tid=201592

Here's a thread I started at that website. I can't post pics here, but I can there, and I posted a number of them. My CZ has ordinary wood (for a CZ) but I'm not going to throw rocks at it, yet. I'm hoping it will settle down and shoot well for me. So far, my luck with centerfire CZs is very, very good.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:08 AM
NWCP
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have several .22LR, .22WMR and 17HMR rifles and love each and every one. I just got my BMag and several boxes of 17WSM 25 grain ammo so I'm pleased as peaches with my rimfire situation. I'm still looking at getting a CZ 527 chambered in 17 Hornet. I don't reload, but I enjoy the 17 caliber round and this new Hornet sounds like a hoot to shoot.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:10 AM
NWCP
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plinkin View Post
Without a doubt my B.Mag is accurate and fun to shoot but if you are thinking Coyote, Bobcat and other varmints like you said on the "why WSM thread" and have been considering a 17 Hornet you are thinking correctly.

The B.Mag is affordable and the ammo is affordable (unless you are a Gun Broker buyer). If you end up in rim fire only hunting areas this will be the ticket but I have whacked 2 chucks (at 75 & 115yd) and missed 2 (80 & 165yd). Now maybe the 80yd guy I hit but I saw no blood and the 165yd one dropped like a stone but I saw him on the run. I didn't check for blood there.

The other two I know where hits. The closer one was in tall grass but I didn't find the body, the other one crawled back into the hole bleeding. None of these were upper body or head shots and I was using 25gr. I could be having an off season but when I use the 22H, the 17H I hit them, they are dead, no questions.

Rarely have I had to take a 2nd shot with the HMR and never with the 204. I am going to take the 22 hornet out today and I might sling the B.Mag but after yesterdays easy "miss" I am going back to the range to be sure the gun isn't off.

It could be me.
I picked up a BMag and some 25grain fodder. Today will be my first day at the range sighting in my scope. I'm still toying with the idea of a CZ in the 17Hornet. I have a couple of 17HSM's that I'm fond of. I just like the caliber. The HSM works fine on squirrel size critters and ground squirrel absolutely hate it. The new Hornet just sounds like a fun round and would be cheaper to shoot than the 17 Rem. I think the 17WSM will work just fine as long as my shot placement is on. Right now I use a 6.8SPC for coyote. I'll probably take both guns into the field with me and select the rifle according to my stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013, 09:53 AM
plinkin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What is 17 HSM? I did a quick search and the only thing I came up with is a brand HSM (Hunting Shack Ammunition) in 17 Rem
Old 07-28-2013, 10:11 AM
rimfirenut

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plinkin View Post
What is 17 HSM? I did a quick search and the only thing I came up with is a brand HSM (Hunting Shack Ammunition) in 17 Rem
You may have just discovered the next new sizzling .17!!!I,ll call it the 17 Hornady short mag. or 17 HSM..
Old 07-28-2013, 10:14 AM
plinkin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimfirenut View Post
You may have just discovered the next new sizzling .17!!!I,ll call it the 17 Hornady short mag. or 17 HSM..
Oh the HM2 or Mach II?