Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:41 PM
mrmosin

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
VQ hammer & trigger installed

I finally got the parts installed, and what a difference. Night and day in the trigger pull. Now for some quality time with ammo, pistol, and the target.
BUT!!!! I still have to use a mallet to align the frame and receiver. The Ruger parts are sloppy, cheap, and cheap. It is a wonder the pistol shoots as well as it does. I am used to working on Colts, Sigs, High Standards, S&W 41's, Taurus, and other chinese stuff.
OK, enough. I still would buy a Ruger IF!!!!! I didn't have to replace most of the parts, and use a mallet to field strip it. I would even pay precious stimulus money I may get later - along with my free health care with no change in benefits.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:29 AM
greener
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you replaced the trigger and hammer, I assume you also replaced the sear. The adjustable trigger and tgt sear make the most improvement in the trigger feel. The VQ hammer is lighter and supposedly can result in light strikes. I've done one with all three and have had zero problems with light strikes. I've also done three with just the sear and trigger. I haven't noticed much, if any, difference between the full upgrade and the partial. I have had to use blue Loctite on the pre-travel screw to prevent it from walking in.

As far as the sloppy manufacture, Rugers seem to be pretty darned consistent shooters capable of darned good accuracy (shooter determines that) over a high volume of ammunition for very long times. As long as the receiver doesn't wobble in the grip frame (easily fixed) they can be fired pretty accurately. I just bought a 1973 Standard that with a little cleaning, a shim on the grip frame and a new mag shoots pretty darned well with the original sloppy trigger.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:10 AM
OpsMgr
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greener View Post
If you replaced the trigger and hammer, I assume you also replaced the sear. The adjustable trigger and tgt sear make the most improvement in the trigger feel. The VQ hammer is lighter and supposedly can result in light strikes. I've done one with all three and have had zero problems with light strikes. I've also done three with just the sear and trigger. I haven't noticed much, if any, difference between the full upgrade and the partial. I have had to use blue Loctite on the pre-travel screw to prevent it from walking in.

As far as the sloppy manufacture, Rugers seem to be pretty darned consistent shooters capable of darned good accuracy (shooter determines that) over a high volume of ammunition for very long times. As long as the receiver doesn't wobble in the grip frame (easily fixed) they can be fired pretty accurately. I just bought a 1973 Standard that with a little cleaning, a shim on the grip frame and a new mag shoots pretty darned well with the original sloppy trigger.
+1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2009, 09:48 PM
mrmosin

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
OK ,Sear and trigger was replaced. Can't type, spell, or think. Doing pretty good. Yes, it now has an acceptable trigger, and shoots pretty good. I just have to let off a little steam about using a hammer. Did my brothers MKII last night, only took 1 hour.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:28 PM
dbrosnan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
how difficult was VQ trigger replacement?

I have been shooting my markIII in small bore hunter pistol silhouette matches. I really need to get a trigger job done and was thinking about doing it myself. I am concerned because of the difficulty. I diassembled the pistol and had a hard time putting it all back together.

questios:
1. Do you recommend the VQ trigger kit or is there anothe roption?
2. Assuming I can disassemble and re-assemble the markIII ... can I do trigger job?

Dan B
Old 07-13-2009, 05:32 PM
blue68f100

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Normally only the sear and trigger is required. The trigger gives you pre & post travel adjustments.

The kit has some parts that are not required, the reason most only recommend the sear and trigger. The trigger gives you a lighter pull, comes with a reduced power spring. If an old gun I would recommend the hammer too. But some have had light strikes with it.

If you follow Bullseye guide you will not have any problem. You just have to go slow the first time.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:03 PM
smokey
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrosnan View Post
I have been shooting my markIII in small bore hunter pistol silhouette matches. I really need to get a trigger job done and was thinking about doing it myself. I am concerned because of the difficulty. I diassembled the pistol and had a hard time putting it all back together.

questios:
1. Do you recommend the VQ trigger kit or is there anothe roption?
2. Assuming I can disassemble and re-assemble the markIII ... can I do trigger job?

Dan B
Save yourself some money and just purchase the VQ sear and trigger. It is not a bad job if you take your time and follow Bullsyeyes instructions. If you get in a bind drop a post here and someone will help. Here is the link to Bullseye's instructions in case you don't alreay have it http://www.guntalk-online.com/detailstrip.htm
Old 07-15-2009, 02:38 PM
misternt

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I just replaced my sear and trigger and it's an awesome trigger. I'd be curious to try a gun with the hammer replaced as well. I compared my pull to a friend's MK III with stock parts and it wasn't awful but not nearly as good.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:45 PM
BillyRam

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just got through replacing my trigger and sear with the Vq and it made a big differance! The feel of the Vq trigger is much more comfortable and breaks clean @ 2 lbs. The only thing I wish I had was the MK II bushing I have ordered from Canada. It would have saved some time and aggravation.
Billy
Old 07-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Steal Shooter

TPC Rating: 
89% (14)
Only thing about the kit, is that it seems to leave a soft mushy feel. Going to polish mine and see if it helps. SS
Old 07-23-2009, 07:11 PM
BillyRam

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steal Shooter View Post
Only thing about the kit, is that it seems to leave a soft mushy feel. Going to polish mine and see if it helps. SS
My sear came with a good finish and I didn't do anything to my hammer. It had a good finish on the sear engaugement area. Mine has a clean break with out creep.
Billy
Old 07-23-2009, 08:25 PM
OpsMgr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Is your pistol a Mk III with the mag safety still in place?
Old 07-24-2009, 05:27 PM
mln1963
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
This is the same impression I came away with in my 22/45. It also moved the trigger way to the rear and I'm not sure I like it that close to the grip? I may pull the VQ stuff and sell it and have the stock parts tuned up instead.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:00 AM
mln1963
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpsMgr View Post
Is your pistol a Mk III with the mag safety still in place?
I put Sam's bushing in with the VQ sear and it was still mushy (mag safety removed). When I looked at the hammer/sear engagement I could see the two were not perfectly parallel with each other as I pulled the trigger.

I removed the VQ sear and reinstalled the stock Ruger sear and things were much much better. They may not be in perfect alignment (hard to tell by eye-balling it) but it is so much better. The break is no longer mushy like it was with the VQ sear.

I don't have a trigger pull gauge but the stock hammer/sear with Sam's bushing makes for a much stiffer pull. I'd say it is on par with my Buck Mark which tested at 4 LBS 6 OZ in the pull department. It breaks decent but is not on par with the crisp break of my Buck Mark.

In my gun the stock hammer and sear with Sam's bushing took away the mushiness (creep)I hated. It lost the light pull but but I'd rather have a predictable stiffer trigger than mushy one.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:29 AM
OpsMgr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
mln1963, sounds like you have some serious slop in your trigger group. Is your Mk III a 22/45?