Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:39 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (64)
Just for meanness...

LOL. Sorry, just had to. I bought a new MKIII512 last summer. Had traded in my MKII512 several years ago and just got around to replacing it. Made the mistake of buying a certain other .22 semi pistol first because is was, uhhh, cheap. And that's just what it was, cheap and a mistake. But I saw the light. Got rid of it and got my Ruger.

For the first couple hundred rds I had a few stovepipes and a couple missfires but the gun was really dirty. I only pulled the bolt and cleaned the bore before the first trip to the range and after it got warm it started weeping either preservative or something and everything gummed up real quick. It was wierd, it came from everywhere. So I stripped it all down and gave everything a good cleaning and next trip to the range I had just a couple stovepipes. It doesn't get shot a lot but is probably close to 1500 rds. Ran probably close to 1000 rds through it before cleaning again and don't remember more than a couple stovepipes in that time but wasn't keeping track.

So, about 3 weeks ago I detail stripped and cleaned again. It was pretty gunked up. Like I said, it doesn't get shot a lot but I am at 300rds and counting without a single malfunction. *knock on wood* May have just jinxed it but it's completely stock, no mods and no aftermarket. (Will be getting a new set of grips soon though.)Runs(and shoots) like a champ and so far will shoot anything I feed it. Even likes those Win 333s with the big HP.

Just had to tell you...

Tony
Old 06-02-2009, 06:35 PM
blue68f100

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If you still get stovepipes you way want to replace the extractor with the VQ Exact or fit your current one. There is a mod in which extractor is filed so it fits around the case giving you a larger grip. I can't remember where I read it at. Rugerfourm.net has a thread covering extractors on what they look like when they are worn. It not much but the edges get rounded off so it does not get a good hold.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:05 PM
greener
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
TonyA, they are always a ball to shoot. Check the amount of oil you are putting on the pistol. If you are having extraction problems after several hundred rounds it could be that you have over-lubed the bolt and are getting a buildup of oil and residue. When mine start doing that it is a sign that they are very dirty. I've gone to wiping the bolt down with a very lightly oiled cloth. I don't clean them very often. The only time I've detail stripped my Rugers has been when I replaced the sear and trigger VQ parts.

The VQ Exact Edge extractor seems to solve a number of extraction problems. Although it's probably a worthwhile replacement, the pistol would need one only when it has extraction problems with several brands of ammo and is clean. I have two MKIII's, two MKII's and (1973) standard. All have OEM extractors and none have ejection problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2009, 01:19 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (64)
No guys, my point is that it runs just fine without any mods. No new extractor, no grinding the mags, no nothing. I got it new. I knew it was gonna take a little break in. After the first 200-300 rds it's been just about trouble free.

I like to keep my firearms clean, I intentionally let this one go just to see how long it would go. Couldn't stand it anymore and cleaned it. That was somewhere around 1000 rds after the last time. I thought that was pretty good and the only thing I recall it having trouble with was a box of Remington Subs that wouldn't shoot in anything else I have either. Now I'm just keeping a running count of how many rounds it goes before a malfunction of any type. And if outlasts my desire to see it shiney again, then I'll strip it and clean it anyway.

Tony
Old 06-08-2009, 03:14 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (64)
480 rds and counting.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:05 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (64)
600 rds and counting.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:57 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (64)
Well, made it to 875 rds before I had a stovepipe and FTFeed with some beatup Dynapoint GTs. I was asking for trouble. These things wouldn't cycle in any of our semis. Cases were dented and dimpled and some of the bullets were seated crooked. Looked like floor sweepings. But I tried them anyway. Actually ran about 60 before it hiccuped. Oh well, I'm satisfied. Time to tear it down and clean it.

No, it may not be thousands of rounds but I don't think that's too bad for a completely stock pistol. And it still isn't that dirty. But I ran quite a few CCI SVs through it and after cleaning the rifles I ran them in I have a feeling this pistol probably has some lead in the front of the chamber too.

Tony
Old 07-09-2009, 06:29 AM
greener
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like a little cleaning and a barrel inspection are in order.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:14 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (64)
Why barrel inspection?
Old 07-09-2009, 03:36 PM
mrmosin

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Make sure the chamber isn't coated with grime, lead, and powder, that's why. could cause extraction problems