TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Yeah it should go really fast!
Old 09-04-2020, 08:21 PM
BrokenSpoke
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Assuming on face value that the numbers you folks are posting are correct then I see no difference between you and the folks who bought up all the toilet paper, hand sanitizer, etc. You're both cut from the same cloth.

The day will come that you need something and I hope that one of you ask me for that help. It will be my genuine pleasure to tell you to go piss up a rope

Last edited by BrokenSpoke; 09-04-2020 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:21 AM
Mark1964

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My guess is there are plenty of members here who kept their .22lr inventories in the tens of thousands of rounds well before this this latest drought or panic market.
And if we bulked up our chosen stashes -- rimfire and otherwise -- from roughly mid-2017 to the spring of this year, we did it when prices were nice.
Was sort of the point, ya know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2020, 12:43 AM
shootsquirrel
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
88% (31)
If this was meant for me I offered it for sale BELOW what I paid on here & it was excess as I switched from Hi Vel to Std Vel so wasn't going to use it and no you'll never have anything I want but Thanks anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenSpoke View Post
Assuming on face value that the numbers you folks are posting are correct then I see no difference between you and the folks who bought up all the toilet paper, hand sanitizer, etc. You're both cut from the same cloth.

The day will come that you need something and I hope that one of you ask me for that help. It will be my genuine pleasure to tell you to go piss up a rope
Old 09-05-2020, 05:06 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Critical thinking helps. Or maybe a basic understanding of supply and demand economics.

If anyone should feel convicted of hoarding, it's those who wait to stock up till after there's a run on the supply chain.

Short-sighted individuals, by definition, are unlikely to provide anything useful.

Just sold a case of .223 to a young club member at my cost, ie., not at replacement cost. Kid was smart enough to know to stock up on the dips but literally could not afford it at the time. Don't mind helping people like that.

Arrogant types are another matter.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:17 AM
Empe

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:

Most of the members on this forum who have an inventory of ammo in the amount you refer to are having little to no affect on the current ammo shortage. They most likely had purchased their ammunition long before while supplies were plentiful and prices were low. They did so in anticipation of a shortage having learned from the past. As a result they are probably not buying any ammo at this time at the current inflated prices.
Those who are short on ammunition at present are likely either relatively new to the sport and were unaware this could/would happen or were aware but didn't take the time or effort to be prepared.

Last edited by Empe; 09-05-2020 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:01 AM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empe View Post
Most of the members on this forum who have an inventory of ammo in the amount you refer to are having little to no affect on the current ammo shortage. They most likely had purchased their ammunition long before while supplies were plentiful and prices were low. They did so in anticipation of a shortage having learned from the past. As a result they are probably not buying any ammo at this time at the current inflated prices.
Those who are short on ammunition at present are likely either relatively new to the sport and were unaware this could/would happen or were aware but didn't take the time or effort to be prepared.

... and those of us that didn't stock up in time get what we can get before it gets any worse. I'd rather buy 22LR at 10 cents a round than to wait until it hits 15 or 20 cents a round.

I didn't freak out on toilet paper stock. But my wife thinks I now have an ammo problem. But at least I have ammo.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:47 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
The unprepared always want to blame the prepared, started accumulating my stash back in anticipation of a certain President taking office, haven't regretted it yet. From some of your reactions I'll not disclose the size of the stash as you'd likely have a coronary episode. Take responsibility for yourselves for once in your lives.

As an aside one year at Christmas I gave away almost 2 cases of .22lr ammo to Parents who were giving their kids rifles but couldn't find ammo.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:56 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
gmd1950...That's such a kind gesture! We should all take note. As the saying goes "You can't take it with you".
Old 09-05-2020, 09:02 AM
Mark1964

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empe View Post
This ^^^
And a stock in the tens of thousands doesn't make us hoarders.
An acquaintance of mine at the local club the other day was sad about his dwindling supply of Federal 36 grain high velocity value packs, which he and his wife love for action matches (pistol and rifle).
I sold him a case (10 x 525) at my original cost.
As I'm running almost solely standard velocity these days, the departure of that 5,250 won't cramp my style. OTH, from that couple's perspective, they just landed something they need to for their favored matches.
Didn't particularly need the cash, a couple hundred bucks, but I suppose I'll put it toward my match ammo inventory or throw it in my Anschutz fund.
Not everyone acts like a tool during an ammo shortage or panic market. Some of us actually do try to help out out fellow shooters when we can.
And we are able to do so because we thought ahead.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:50 AM
matto6

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Buying when there is excess and stockpiling actually helps, not hurts. It reduces the demand during the shortage.

It's people who panic buy each time the shortage arrives that are contributing to the problem.

Or people like me who picked an unfortunate time to get into target sports. I started last fall and bought what I thought was a decent amount of ammo at normal prices. But I didn't realize I should have bought 2 years worth. Bah.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:11 PM
IHMSA80x80
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:

The day will come that you need something and I hope that one of you ask me for that help. It will be my genuine pleasure to tell you to go piss up a rope.

That's nice.

≡✪≡
Old 09-05-2020, 12:23 PM
Calamity Sue's Husband

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Best laugh I've had here for a long time.

Oh bleep, I'm down to roll 99, I better get my A over to Costco this morning and get another ten packages of their tp.

Just got back from BP picking up a Rem bucket of 9mm. Got there at 8:55 and must have been 50 folks in line. Doors open and mad rush to the ammo area. In the old days, an employee walked everyone to the ammo area, keeping everyone in their place in line. The day's ammo was on a table behind ropes, and the person in front of you chose what he/she wanted, then it was your turn. Today it was a free for all in the ammo isles. I saw BYOB's in both sizes, Herter's bricks of 22lr, and lots of CCI's of all flavors. BP was always expensive when it came to CCI. No 9mm or 223's, at least when I got there, and I didn't see anyone carrying any. Typical day on the ammo hunt circuit.

Last edited by Calamity Sue's Husband; 09-05-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:08 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Quote:

What an ignorant comment from someone who I'm guessing wasn't prepared for this and doesn't realize that history repeats itself. I've built up my ammo supply over 20 years, not by going into stores during a shortage and buying every round left on the shelf. Because of this I (and many others) have absolutely nothing to do with the shortages because we didn't have to run out and panic buy. We were already prepared. Now for the most part I only buy enough ammo to replace what I shoot, but I will wait until the shelves are stocked again before I replace what I've been shooting since the shortage started. That doesn't mean I haven't bought any ammo recently. I have bought some bricks of match ammo because it was priced good and the place I bought it from said they couldn't sell it because people didn't want to pay the price for match ammo. I've also given away A LOT of ammo recently to friends and family who also weren't prepared and found themselves without ammo. Just so we're clear people who already have ammo aren't running out and buying it up as soon as it hits the shelves. We're actually the ones who don't share any of the blame for this, not the other way around.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:11 PM
fugawe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Most of us who have accumulated lots of ammo did it over several years, not in one mad rush like the TP hoarders did.