52,000 rounds is my new goal,,, - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-03-2020, 09:45 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)

Childish name-calling in a politically oriented post got it deleted and the member on a short vacation. Next one gets the thread closed or deleted. Ladies and gentlemen, mind your manners and keep the word you gave when you agreed to the terms of service. Thanks.

Old 09-03-2020, 10:05 AM
DavidABQ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Wow, I thought that with about 5.5 cases of SK STD Plus that I had a lot of .22 ammo on hand but you guys and gals have me beat!

50,000 plus rounds of .22 ammo! Wow!
Old 09-03-2020, 06:57 PM
Stratplexi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like your goal and rational of 52,000. I have somewhere around 30K-35K right now and will wait until prices come down again. When they do, I will build up the stash again. I may copy you and set a goal of 52,000 too. I wish I would have bought more 9 mm...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2020, 08:10 PM
ericr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So y'all are the people hoarding .22's now
Old 09-03-2020, 09:19 PM
dufferDave
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
While we are on this subject---

Has anyone come up with a good way to store ammo in these quantities? I would like to include some level of fire protection (layers of fire-resistant gypsum board?) to try to reduce the hazard level of this stuff if the house catches fire.

Or do you store your ammo in an outbuilding? If so, do you provide some kind of heating in the winter to keep it from freezing?
Old 09-03-2020, 11:32 PM
Mossbergman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Hollow log along the Susquehanna River, Dauphin County Pa.
TPC Rating: 
88% (7)
Well this post shows why there's a shortage ~ammo hogs ~~JMJ~~
Old 09-04-2020, 12:07 AM
ms6852
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've always made it a point to buy ammo every pay period by the case as rimfire is the only ammo I do not reload. When Obama got elected and everyone got scared I never worried as I had plenty to shoot for the 8 years he was in office without having to buy at the exorbitant prices the gougers were selling it for. I love to shoot at least 2 to 400 rounds every week and continue to do so now. I even donated ammo to those less fortunate than me, in hopes of getting novice shooters interested in this sport. Regardless of whether you shoot a lot or a little, when it comes to rimfire ammo you should always stock up on it a little at a time. I don't worry too much about the high end ammo as not too many beginners are willing to pay the price of top tier ammo so it is always in stock even when the last administration was in office.

Last edited by ms6852; 09-04-2020 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:39 AM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
Cant remember which thread it was on, but someone mentioned "have enough to last a lifetime" another talked about being 80. Figure age may play in to this a fair bit. "enough to last a lifetime" means one thing to a millennial something very different to and octogenarian. Definitely made me chuckle a fair bit thinking about it.

When the marriage poll was started I was single and a college sophomore, now I'm mid 30s and 12 years married Saturday.

When the first age poll was started I was a minor, then in my 20s now mid 30s. It just keeps clicking along.

When the last rush was on, was a newly married kid in his early 20s fresh out of college. When it fired back up, was just done with grad school and still poor. It was a long time with very little 22lr.

Regionally it makes a big difference as well, lived remote for parts of the last shortage. If ammo was on the shelf the limit kept me from getting enough. In a city now, and can pop over to the store if they get it (and they are in surprising numbers). Also went a bit wild last fall figuring this fall would be a bit tenuous.

Don't actually know how many rounds I've got total, probably good for a while on a few rimfires. Definitely need to work on my pistol stash.....
Old 09-04-2020, 08:24 AM
matto6

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For those who hoard, are you concerned with humidity control and ammo reliability down the road?

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...mmo-long-term/
Old 09-04-2020, 08:43 AM
Samuel_Hoggson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
For those who hoard, are you concerned with humidity control and ammo reliability down the road?
Yes. Ammo cans with good seals. .50s, cuz that's all the weight I want. I don't bother with dessicants, but storage space is pretty well temp-controlled. Never warmer than 72 deg.

Finished off the last of some Remington non-plated HS, stuff we had since the late '70s. All went off fine, 10/22s, Mk2, revolvers. No extreme spread weirdness, no evidence of lube deterioration.
Old 09-04-2020, 02:22 PM
Basher_5_0

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also use ammo cans to store my ~7k rounds. In years past I would go through a hundred rounds a week due to bullseye competitions. But due 2020 shenanigans I haven't gone to a match since March. Everyone has their own number when it comes to their "stash" but to be honest, I didn't get to 7000 based on a goal. It just kinda happened due to the gradual availability of ammo post shortage and the desire never to be scraping by from match to match again.

As Matto6 brought up, I understand you can only prolong the life so long so I would only replace what I shoot that way my stock is rotated.

As far as buying ammo now, I haven't touched anything since this mess started. I went in on an order with a family member in February and have been sitting from the sidelines as a spectator ever since.
Old 09-04-2020, 02:46 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Seems like I never have enough but then I've never run out yet..I give some

...and shoot lots

One day at a time S.J.

Remember:

"The one with the most ammo wins"........

pipestone
Old 09-04-2020, 04:17 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matto6 View Post

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...mmo-long-term/
Iíve shot rimfire ammo that was stored in an Arizona garage for over 50 years. The temperatures varied from in the 20s to the 140s. There was no humidity or temperature control.

It all shot fine.

I imagine that the ammo with wax lube would get messed where the wax would melt. Other than that, my bet it would be fine.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:33 PM
03wing
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have about 5000 rds of .22. I shoot about 150-200 a week at the range. Use a box, buy a box. I usually get the Federal 36 grain hollow points, 325 for $20. If they only have a couple of boxes on the shelf, Iíll grab two. Iím pretty much ok with that number.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:45 PM
shootsquirrel
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
88% (31)
03Wing That's what I tried selling on here 2100 rds in a new 50 cal ammo can for $100 but no bites so I bought the KindofGatlingGun & 2 binary triggers. It will go now I bet. The same thing sold for $285 on Gunbroker daily.