My Bergara & the "Green Monster" - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-20-2020, 01:14 PM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My Bergara & the "Green Monster"

Our club shoots an informal .22 benchrest match at 50 yards once a month. Until yesterday we'd used the IBS targets exclusively. As Match Director, I decided to change things up a bit and yesterday I used the USBR target; a tougher challenge than the IBS.

With my Bergara B14R, I was the only one shooting in "Sporter" class and the other four were in "Custom" class. The other rifles were a Suhl 150, a Winchester 52B, a 54.30- BR-50 Anschutz and a Kimber 82.

I don't see a lot of scores posted for the USBR targets so I'm not sure what a "good" score would be. I shot match high score of 232-2X using Center-X. The Suhl 150 won first in it's class with a 230-5X. In fairness, most of us are rusty because of the virus and lack of practice.

Anyway, I'm pleased with the Bergara and how it shot yesterday.
Old 09-20-2020, 02:13 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Nice doubs43! I consider anything in the 240's to be a really good score. I've done it exactly 5 times out of about 50 targets shot. All except one were shot with Eley Match. The other was Midas +. All were shot over wind flags in the morning when the wind was low

If you're just getting started and shooting in the low 230's you're way ahead of where I was when I first started shooting the USBR targets. It took me several tries (and ammo upgrades) to get me out of the 220's

I'd like to buy a Bergara. Until I start getting to the range more I can't justify it. The public ranges here in the DFW area don't thrill me. If I start shooting the PRL style matches like I plan on then maybe I'll get the Bergara. In the meantime I have a brand new T1x I haven't even shot yet that should work nicely. I have other rifles I could use too. I'd more-or-less be buying the Bergara just have. So we'll see

Old 09-20-2020, 07:00 PM
PJKEUHLEN
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
At my club in the PNW we shoot the green monster once a month on an outdoor range with highly variable winds. In most conditions those contending to win are in the high 230's to low 240's. When the wind really kicks up and swirls, deduct 5 - 10 points from that range. When I first started out, shooting an old Win 52A with a dirty 8# trigger, a 15x Lyman STS, and CCI SV I felt lucky to break 195. These days, most of our folks who are experienced shooters with good equipment and ammo, but new to this format, start between 200 - 225 and move up from there as they adjust to it. Thank God, all of our formats we shoot in our matches (USBR, mini Palma, Dewar, etc) are scored best edge!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2020, 07:09 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It's been a while since I shot any at 50, but I always considered anything over 230 respectable, and over 240 a really good day.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:29 AM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Thanks everyone for the replies. There was a bit of wind that day but I won't blame it for my dropped points.

It's just a tough target and I don't think anyone was shooting cartridges better than Center-X. Being a local and informal match, most of us hesitate to put the money into the really expensive ammo.

One other bit of information about my Bergara; after over 1,000 rounds and only a normal Hoppe's #9 cleaning a few times, I used Bore Tech carbon cleaner on the chamber and there was pretty heavy carbon ring residue on my patch. Just something to watch out for.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:59 PM
ShooterReady

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks like I'll have to go shoot a Green Monster this week...I just finished sorting by rim thickness 500 rounds of Center-X, and I shimmed the bolt headspace to match, hoping to ring out the last bit of accuracy possible from the B14R. Haven't had the time to test it out yet, so I'll kill two birds with one stone.

The last/best Green Monster I shot was with my CZ 455, 232-7X, but that was only at 25 yards. I know my Bergara is more accurate, just need the ammo to be consistent.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:12 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterReady View Post
...I just finished sorting by rim thickness 500 rounds of Center-X, and I shimmed the bolt headspace to match, hoping to ring out the last bit of accuracy possible from the B14R. Haven't had the time to test it out yet, so I'll kill two birds with one stone.
I've never sorted for rim thickness. It must be a little time consuming. If this is not your first time using rim-sorted ammo, what results have you recorded by sorting by rim thickness compared to unsorted ammo when using match ammo from the same lot?

To what headspace did you adjust your rifle?
Old 09-21-2020, 05:53 PM
ShooterReady

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It doesn't take too long....I do it while I watch something on nexflix, or listening to a podcast. 500 rounds took less than 45 minutes. The worst part is having to constantly clean my hands to get all the bullet lube off...if you don't, it gets difficult to hang onto the rounds after about 100 or so.

It's not my first time sorting ammo by rim thickness...I've been using the Raven Eye Custom gauge. Easy to use, but I know others just use an empty 5.56mm case (zero calipers on an empty 5.56mm case, drop the 22 round into the neck, re-measure, repeat.)

I'm not 100% certain it really improves my groups, but I do know it eliminates flyers. Even though the Center-X is very consistent, I still ended up with 5 different sizes of rim thickness for this lot of ammo( I sort by 0.005" increments, 0.420"-0.440"). SAAMI spec for a 22LR chamber is 0.430", but I don't really know what dimension Bergara cuts their match chamber, and neither did anyone at Bergara customer service (this stuff really should be readily available info...some people do want to know!)

I do know that sorting bulk ammo (like Federal Auto Match) does improve group sizes and (nearly) eliminates flyers. I just makes the ammo more predictable.

I added a 0.003" shim to the bolt, so now I get rifling markings on the entire drive band of the bullet...but I am still experimenting with the shim thickness. I might end up adding another 0.002", but I need to shoot it first.

As much as I just want to throw on my suppressor and shoot a round down my hallway, through an open door and into my backyard to test, I should probably just take a trip to the range. The only tool you need to add/remove more shims is a hammer and roll pin punch, so it's pretty quick.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:16 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
I used to rim sort &/or weight sort until I finally realized it was a waste of time and it only increases the cost per round of your ammo. i used to think it improved groups size and decreased flyers too. Then one day I decided to start shooting my culled rounds to see how they shot compared to the "good" stuff. The culled ammo shot just as good and, in some cases, better than the stuff I deemed to be good. I finally gave it up. Better off finding good lots of ammo and learning to shoot over windflags when possible. It's a good way to kill time and relieve stress though

Old 09-21-2020, 10:31 PM
ShooterReady

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I sort my ammo, I don't say that Group A is good and Group B is bad....I just know that Group A they are all going to chamber the same way, engage lands/grooves the same, etc.

I don't think there are "good" rounds or "bad" rounds...I just want to make sure all the dimensionally similar rounds are shot together, as opposed to shooting a group with .0430, 0.420, 0.435, 0.445, 0.435...that will cause flyers. If all it does is stop a 4-rd 0.28" group from turning into a 0.42" 5-rd group, that's all I'm looking for.

When I sorted a box of Federal Auto Match, I definitely saw an improvement. Groups of sorted ammo averaged .51" at 50 yards, while unsorted/random groups averaged .82". I shot a whole box of 325 rounds; sorted half of them. Now, sorting a box of Auto Match is basically a complete waste of time; it's not match ammo by any stretch of the imagination, but it was just a proof of concept for me. I'm not trying to turn a box of Remington Golden Bullet into Midas+.

This will be my first time sorting Center-X...maybe it's worth it, maybe not. At the very least, I will find out what rim thickness my gun likes best, given the current head space. If it only takes 45 minutes, and it make me feel better, then it's a win in my book.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:02 AM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterReady View Post
As much as I just want to throw on my suppressor and shoot a round down my hallway, through an open door and into my backyard to test.
Yeah,...I'd be shooting down the hallway. If I don't shoot at least every 3rd day I start having withdrawals. Ask my wife.