Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-21-2020, 10:50 AM
rbertalotto
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

David,

Wish I could find that first cartridge. When I suggested it had a good firing pin hit, i was mostly referring to the location of the hit. But I didn't look hard at the depth of the hit.

Yes, it could have been a slow firing pin. Gun hadn't been used in years, and I did not lube it before use. My bad!

Nope, like you I'm getting rid of guns....Don't need to buy any more....

Be safe my friend!
Old 03-21-2020, 12:59 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
Hi Al,

Would you like a bolt action Ruger 77/17 with a 4-12 A.O. Leupold scope ? Randy did his magic on it some years back. Getting old and thinning things out. I will be back at the Cape with it early April. Can take pictures etc. then.

David
Just saw this;
Thanks for your offer Dave but the rifle would be wasted on me. I've no need anymore.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:14 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbertalotto View Post
Took my grandson shooting yesterday. CZ-453 / 17HMR Bolt Action

Haven't shot this rifle in close to ten years

Grabbed a few boxes of ammo from my ammo locker and had at it.

Had a Remington cartridge not fire.....perfect rim hit with the firing pin.

Next cartridge blew, sent pressure down the magazine and actually caused the next cartridge in the magazine to exit the case and spill unburnt power in the magazine! Thanksfully it did not ignite.
The pressure expanded the magazine to the point that I had to drive it out from the top. The sides were expanded so I disassembled it and using a small hammer, knocked it back into shape.

This ammo must be 10 years old.

Shot another 50 rounds of same vintage ammo but different manufacture with zero issues.

I did a search to see if there was a recall and all I can find is recalls on the Remington 527 SemiAuto in 17HMR.....and in some cases they are saying to return the ammo too.

Here are a few pictures of the case.

Thankfully my grandson had good eye protection and no damage done to him. But he learned a great lesson about eye protection!

Glad no one got hurt.
WARNING to all folks here on this forum.
Any gun that has been sitting for longer period.

Ok,
First did you look down barrel before gun was used in any way ????
If you didn’t you could have had for example.

A patch left in barrel.
How about this, a bug in the barrel. Sounds crazy don’t it. How about one of those lady bugs. Dirt dobber nest possibly.

I always if a gun has been sitting long period of time always take a light or go outside if daylight and look down the barrel.

Goes for rimmies, shotguns, and centerfires.

My money is on an obstruction you didn’t realize. Was in there when you picked gun up after 10 years of nonuse.
And just because gun was locked in a safe, you STILL need to inspect inside of barrel for obstruction.

Last edited by squirrel1; 03-22-2020 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:31 PM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
That ammo was known to have issues as did the 597, both should have been returned and destroyed.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:36 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=257114

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=524644
Old 03-22-2020, 10:24 PM
marv119

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My brother had the same thing happen a couple years ago prairie dog shooting. He was using a 455 cz and it destroyed the plastic mag. Case head totally seperated. The bullet lodged about 6 inches ahead of the chamber. No damage to the rifle other than the mag.I was next to him and had a few bloody spots on my arm. Was 3 year old hornaday ammo

Last edited by marv119; 03-22-2020 at 10:26 PM. Reason: ad ammo brand
Old 03-23-2020, 11:52 AM
rbertalotto

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
First did you look down barrel before gun was used in any way ????
If you didnít you could have had for example.

A patch left in barrel.
How about this, a bug in the barrel. Sounds crazy donít it. How about one of those lady bugs. Dirt dobber nest possibly.

I always if a gun has been sitting long period of time always take a light or go outside if daylight and look down the barrel.
I always check for spiders.....none here...this rifle fired a couple dozen times before this happened. But good advise to always check...
Old 03-23-2020, 02:25 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkd View Post
That ammo was known to have issues as did the 597, both should have been returned and destroyed.
Rem was replacing the 597-17HMR barrels with 22Mag barrels on their dime. Dunno if they still do.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:40 AM
rbertalotto

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remington sent me a letter on my blown 17HMR case.....Very satisfied with this result. Well played Remington...Thank You

Old 04-05-2020, 09:05 AM
DRob
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not too bad

Quote:
Remington sent me a letter on my blown 17HMR case.....Very satisfied with this result. Well played Remington...Thank You

That beats the heck out of Remington's response to the issues surrounding the .17 HMR Model 597. They essentially said to send it back and they'd give you a credit for way less than you paid for the rifle/ammo which can only be used to purchase another Remington product. I was here when all that happened and there were several guys on this board who said they simply told Remington to shove it and kept the gun. I don't remember the exact dollar amounts but sending back your 597 netted you about 50%, I think.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:15 PM
rbertalotto

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I received my $30 check today from Remington......I'm impressed with this response to ammo I bought over 10 years ago for I think around $12! Well played Remington!
Old 04-07-2020, 02:26 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob View Post
That beats the heck out of Remington's response to the issues surrounding the .17 HMR Model 597. They essentially said to send it back and they'd give you a credit for way less than you paid for the rifle/ammo which can only be used to purchase another Remington product. I was here when all that happened and there were several guys on this board who said they simply told Remington to shove it and kept the gun. I don't remember the exact dollar amounts but sending back your 597 netted you about 50%, I think.
Not even that for a laminated version like mine. Big Green got a bit pale in that fiasco.
Quote:
I received my $30 check today from Remington......I'm impressed with this response to ammo I bought over 10 years ago for I think around $12! Well played Remington!
Old 04-11-2020, 01:57 PM
RED HORSE
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Several years ago when our club was holding .17 matches I was inspecting ammo prior to a match. I pushed on each bullet and found one which easily slipped down into the case. Further inspection revealed that there was no powder at all in the case.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:58 PM
Gohon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This happened to me me a couple years ago with a new Ruger American 17HMR. In my cause the explosion blew out the magazine and about 6 inches of the left side by the receiver. Wouldn't think there would be that much power in a little old 17HMR. In this instance I was shooting Federal ammo that was several years old. Contacted Ruger and sent the gun to them but they replied they could find nothing wrong with the gun. Offered to sell me a new gun at reduced price. I said no thank you. Contacted Federal and they ask for the round that blew up so I sent it to them. What was discovered was the same as the OP's story. The old ammo had split at the case mouth and upon loading into the chamber the bullet was shoved back down into the case.

Upon inspection of the 4 boxes of Federal ammo I found almost half of the rounds had a split mouth. I notified Federal of what I found and they told me if I would send them all four boxes they would send me a check for the full amount I paid for the gun and they did just that. I have lots of 17HMR ammo but I went through each and every box I had, found a few with split cases and threw them out. I now inspect a new box every time I open one. I'd bet money when you chambered that round the bullet jammed down inside the case causing over pressure.

Federal done me right...
Old 04-13-2020, 06:40 PM
Gobblerk5

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Y'all are starting to scare me away from my new 17HMR...

I did toss one round the other day that was bulged bout 1/8" below the rim of the case...I had loaded it but didn't shoot. When unloading it kinda stuck in the bore. Got it out & inspected it, then shoved it projectile first down into the ground.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk